Audi drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have taken the plunge on an Audi S5 cab - out of the sheer frustration of not being able to find a petrol V6 E350 cab - and I admit I have driven it like at wat once or twice. I would have done exactly the same if I'd found a suitable E.

On the whole though I'm just too old for that sort of behaviour, with the qualification that the exhaust note on the S5 is rather nice under load, so needs an airing every now and then to check it's working. It's not AMG V8 quality, but I'm happy, although I think my fuel consumption is easily a match for an AMG!

The time and place is a quiet A road though, not winding up others.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I agree people can be bad drivers in any make of car. But a few years ago when I had my Porsche I'd be driving along enjoying driving with the top down and for some reason or other on many, many occasions I'd hear someone thrashing the Bol**ks off a car and it was always a black Audi. I used to say to my passenger or to myself "Rogue Rep at 9 o'clock" and it was a fairly frequent occurrence I can assure you.

The worst driver in my locality smokes around in an ancient Ford Galaxy.

The best driver around here can be seen in either a W211 or an R172.

This bad driver Audi thing must be international because here in Russia it's the same. Often when you see an Audi it's being driven in a lunatic way Strange eh!

I've never understood it as I don't find "normal" Audis particularly sporty to drive........ :)

There's probably a post on an Audi forum somewhere, saying how bad Mercedes drivers are ?

Though to be fair .... they probably just have a bit of car envy :D

Audi forums are not the most exciting place to be - not a patch on this place. Some good and helpful contributors but nowhere near the depth and sheer numbers on here.

I have taken the plunge on an Audi S5 cab

Nice choice - very quick. I would have liked to go that route, but pooch needs the space the Sportback offers and I didn't fancy the reduced MPG of the petrol engine..

Do you have the smaller fuel tank on yours due to the Quattro setup? I went for the 3.0 tdi Quattro and it's barely £50 to fill up, which is nice, but the more frequent stops to refill are not.

In 24h I'm starting to feel like I may have to eat my words...

First, I just reread Bruce's post and my later post is almost exactly the same except the driver I saw was driving an Audi, the lady was driving a people carrier though. :crazy:

It seems to affect all churches these days, including the driver of black C63 Coupe yesterday, who managed to spin through a perfectly choreographed 360 spin on the Stockbury/a249 Roundabout, then forget to thank the people who managed to avoid him as he did so. Including a lady in a people carrier, with kids who took the most fabulous avoiding action, that possibly included new underpants when she got home.

However today, an A6 did pirouette in front of us on a roundabout in Barnstaple today. Luckily I was driving slowly (spare wheel on the caravan I was towing), and the lady coming the other way took evasive action, so no harm was done except for the driver's pride. However he drove away without so much as a sheepish wave or flash of the hazard lights, despite holding everybody up for a short time whilst he got on his way again.

Then on my way home this evening this post leapt to mind...

Also, if a car is going to have blacked-out head- (or tail-) lights around here; it's an Audi.

...when I saw an RS4 Avant with blacked out tail lights :eek:

All in 24h!

Nice choice - very quick. I would have liked to go that route, but pooch needs the space the Sportback offers and I didn't fancy the reduced MPG of the petrol engine..

Do you have the smaller fuel tank on yours due to the Quattro setup? I went for the 3.0 tdi Quattro and it's barely £50 to fill up, which is nice, but the more frequent stops to refill are not.

61l tank on mine according to the manual - I will be aiming for 300 miles from a tank. Not getting anywhere near that yet

Can't believe how much venom is pointed at Audi drivers these days, just read the following from our local (rural) community Facebook Group [emoji2961]:-

"Had not been to Rochford Sq for a little while, minding my business looking in the shops, to hear one twenty something male cleared his nasal passages into his mouth to unload a greenie all over the side window of a grey (68) Audi parked sensibly in the square opposite Abbotts. The said individual then got into his Ford SUV with his children and sped off. Not sure why he had a grudge against this car but what a disgusting charmer.. A real example setter.."

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Can't believe how much venom is pointed at Audi drivers these days, just read the following from our local (rural) community Facebook Group [emoji2961]:-

"Had not been to Rochford Sq for a little while, minding my business looking in the shops, to hear one twenty something male cleared his nasal passages into his mouth to unload a greenie all over the side window of a grey (68) Audi parked sensibly in the square opposite Abbotts. The said individual then got into his Ford SUV with his children and sped off. Not sure why he had a grudge against this car but what a disgusting charmer.. A real example setter.."

Not excusing his behaviour but something might have happened between them prior to snot gate.

Better than damaging the car I suppose.

Audi drivers have work to do if they want to take the mantle from white van drivers ...

Audi drivers have work to do if they want to take the mantle from white van drivers ...
No exaggeration but on my recent 600 mile return trip to Cornwall, every driving misdemeanor, tailgating, pulling out without looking/giving way was by Audi drivers. It became a running joke between the wife and myself, maybe we were just unwittingly noticing them over other brands but it seemed very odd!

So if we separate the enthusiasts who buy the performance Audis, the S5 or RS4 etc., which are decent cars, there is NO reason for anyone to buy a bog standard Audi over any other car apart from badge snobbery, so they are bought by those to whom such things are important, and these people tend to be ****holes who want to show how much better they are doing than you.

Audi know this, witness their latest advert "It's not a small car, it's a small Audi."

Objectively the Mk4 Focus I've ordered is a much better car than it's Audi A3 equivalent. It's better equipped, better handling, etc.

New Ford Focus review: So good it should tempt German car buyers | This is Money
New Ford Focus ST-Line 2018 review – can it beat the VW Golf in its sportiest standard trim?
"makes you wonder why companies like Audi and Mercedes-Benz, with all the resources at their disposal, can’t deliver a ride and handling balance that gets anywhere close to a car costing thousands less"

However I am well aware that it will never have the same status as the Audi in the suburban pecking order, I just couldn't give a toss.

So if we separate the enthusiasts who buy the performance Audis, the S5 or RS4 etc., which are decent cars, there is NO reason for anyone to buy a bog standard Audi over any other car apart from badge snobbery, so they are bought by those to whom such things are important, and these people tend to be ****holes who want to show how much better they are doing than you.

Does this apply to anyone who doesn't have an AMG, S/RS or M car or just Audis?

Audi know this, witness their latest advert "It's not a small car, it's a small Audi."

Objectively the Mk4 Focus I've ordered is a much better car than it's Audi A3 equivalent. It's better equipped, better handling, etc.

New Ford Focus review: So good it should tempt German car buyers | This is Money
New Ford Focus ST-Line 2018 review – can it beat the VW Golf in its sportiest standard trim?
"makes you wonder why companies like Audi and Mercedes-Benz, with all the resources at their disposal, can’t deliver a ride and handling balance that gets anywhere close to a car costing thousands less"

However I am well aware that it will never have the same status as the Audi in the suburban pecking order, I just couldn't give a toss.
Funnily enough I have never perceived Audi as a badge of distinction, maybe I am getting old but to me they have always been a bulk standard family saloon brand similar to Volvo and behind Mercedes and BMW in the German build market. However I did perceive them as an upmarket VW.

I remember the Audi 80 and 90s never competition to the BMW or Mercedes of the day. It seems they are now perceived "top brand".

I think maybe the Quattro changed all that, one thing for sure is Mercedes have declined since the days of my W124 E class.

The only badges I now view as prestige are Rolls Royce, Bentley and Supercar brands, no longer Jaguar or Range Rover both like Mercedes having entered the cut down mass markets.

The Ford Focus- the sub £20k sporty family car that costs---- £21,750 as tested in ST-line form. :rolleyes: What's wrong about that you may ask- well different engine, suspension, trim, electrical toys for starters! :eek: This I hastily add is not confined to motoring hacks reviews of Fords but across the entire manufacturer spectrum of new cars where they always happen to review the highest trim/options , largest power unit, best spec version of the particular model they happen to be testing - while still intoning the "value for money" aspect of the most basic model. It's a bit naughty in my book as at the higher end of the market it can make a difference of £10-15K on the model ticket price to get that "enhanced" driving experience. ;)

You are aware that this is a Mercedes forum?

What I find strange is the mentality that people should 'respect' cars, and by extension the drivers of those cars, which are superior or equal to their own car, rather than actual driving behaviour. So I should have no respect for a 1.6l hatchback, or even a 3l V6, because my car is a 3.5l V6 and therefore I win. But I must doff my cap and tug my forelock my superiors in V8s. But if I'm driving a 1.6l hatchback, that all changes ;) Just seems weird to me. If someone is driving badly or aggressively surely that's the only thing that matters, not whether I can beat them in a drag race.

I have noticed the Audi thing, usually black ones with tinted windows, but actually most of the aggressive driving I see is from BMW 1 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom