Audi experience - am I expecting too much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Forgive me here, as I need to vent my frustration! But I'm also interested to hear if this is typical...

My 2 year old A6 (which I've had from new) is plagued with problems. It went in today for a service and to have a number of issues looked at under warranty.

Let's start with the service. I bought a service pack for it which covered two years of servicing. The only exclusions being wear and tear items and anything to do with the DPF or cambelts. The pack cost £525 from memory. It goes in today. Half an hour later the phone rings. "Your car needs the brake fluid changing". OK, I say - well it's under a service pack contract. "Brake fluid not included - that's another £120". After much moaning from me, they call back and offer to do it as a gesture of goodwill (free of charge). How nice of them. But when I bought the service pack I was told that it was "peace of mind - no hidden expenses beyond wear and tear". How could a service pack not include routine scheduled brake fluid changes? Odd.

Next the warranty work. You'll like some of this:

(1) Excessive condensation inside the car in the mornings (and I mean EXCESSIVE). So much so that in winter a layer of ICE forms inside the screen and slowly defrosts all over the dashboard. The cars demisting function is so poor that in winter you have to keep the window open a crack to prevent it fogging up. And here I was thinking that in 2021 we'd moved on from the Ford Cortinas of 1977

Dealer response: "this is a characteristic of the new A6. Nothing wrong with it."

(2) Investigate constant clicking from passenger door

Dealer response: "faulty door locking module. Warranty work required £420! Covered under warranty."

(3) Investigate sticking seat adjustment button

Dealer response: "faulty button module. New one required. Warranty work £450. Covered under warranty."

(4) Pull away lag is excessive and dangerous (7 speed DSG takes an age to realise you want to move - makes pulling out a nightmare)

Dealer response: "recognised as a safety recall. Software patch required. We will apply it under warranty." Me: damn right it's a safety issue - both me and my wife have had two near misses where the car would simply fail to proceed beyond a crawl for about 3 seconds. Why didn't YOU contact ME to recall the car??? Why did I have to raise it with YOU?

(5) Numerous rattles from dashboard, B pillar and headlining (which is also loose)

Dealer response: "we need to keep the car in and strip down the interior and line it with felt pads"

So there you have it. The car has done 11k miles. No courtesy car offered so I am without it now until next Tuesday.

The dealer's attitude to all of this sucks. The car itself sucks. If I was being generous, I'd say that I was unlucky and had a Friday car. But a quick trawl of the forums reveals many owners suffering the exact same issues as me. The general feeling is "can't wait to get rid of the bl00dy thing".

I would agree. It's going in two years time and I WILL NOT miss it at all. It has no redeeming features save for the fact that it is VERY quiet on motorways and it is pretty. But that's it.

In all other areas - utter dross. I should have bought an E-Class.

.............................and relax. That feels better.

So - am I expecting too much from a so-called premium brand?

EDIT - I forgot - more warranty work. New wing mirror mount required to fix folding mirror issue. £320.

All ( life ) style and no substance ...

I've never been able to keep an Audi longer than a year.

1) Audi S6. Owned for 4 months, of which it spent all but 3 weeks in the workshop. Handed back to dealer.
2) Audi S4 B6. Had it for a few months when a friend decided he fancied one. Borrowed mine for the weekend, and then offered me a fair sum more than I'd paid for it. Sold
3) Audi A8 4.2TDI. Despite having a good provenance, spent 11 months breaking itself. Get it nearly all fixed, it decides to self-immolate.

I am clearly destined not to own Audis, so you are not alone.

All ( life ) style and no substance ...
Yup. It is a tarted up Skoda. And not a good Skoda at that. Never again. So fed up with it. I actively want to see the back of it and I’ve never felt like that about a car before.

Those A6s are really nice to look at.
I feel your pain as I also couldn’t wait to get rid of my A6 Avant. The last time I mentioned (month ago) my Mrs a possibility of buying a new one all she said was “I will not sit in it if you buy it”. That’s how bad and frustrating her experience was with it and she even wasn’t the one having to drive it, ever.

It's not just Audi. I just did a quick scan of reliability surveys, with the exception of Lexus, premium brands and high prices do not correlate with reliability, in fact generally the opposite. They all say much the same thing, Japanese and far eastern makes at the top and German premium brands including Porsche, middle to bottom. Spare a thought for Range Rover which usually occupies the bottom slot in the table. It doesn't stop people buying them because they value image over reliability. We all have that choice.

Yup. It is a tarted up Skoda. And not a good Skoda at that. Never again. So fed up with it. I actively want to see the back of it and I’ve never felt like that about a car before.
To be fair to Skoda we had 1xFabia, 2xOctavias and 1xRoomster and all were faultless cars but not very comfortable for long journeys.

Those A6s are really nice to look at.
I feel your pain as I also couldn’t wait to get rid of my A6 Avant. The last time I mentioned (month ago) my Mrs a possibility of buying a new one all she said was “I will not sit in it if you buy it”. That’s how bad and frustrating her experience was with it and she even wasn’t the one having to drive it, ever.
Interesting. My wife is the same. ‘Don’t ever suggest we have another one of these!’.

whatvwas wrong with your A6 (and what era was it)?

As with most manufacturers, a lot of the time the dealer network let it down. Newer cars never seem to be made to the standards older cars were, which is where they got their reputation from as good cars.

Touch wood, not had a problem with mine. It has had some warranty work done in the past but nothing excessive. When the dealer did make a mess of the brake fluid change, it was remedied quickly and I was kept on the road. For this reason, my car is still being serviced by them.

Dealers definitely let a brand down.

Interesting. My wife is the same. ‘Don’t ever suggest we have another one of these!’.

whatvwas wrong with your A6 (and what era was it)?
It was A6 Avant C5. It was misting inside like yours, engine oil consumption was 1l per 800miles, approximately similar consumption of ATF, the gearbox couldn’t make up its mind which gear to choose and when, in the summer with AC ON whenever turning left it would drop a bucket of water on my feet and it would tend to oversteer a lot. Just bad driving experience.

Thanks for posting this, it makes me feel so much better about owning E-class cars.😂

One of my colleagues always has Audis as company cars, A5 Quattro and A4 Avant more recently. They seem to be made of cheese. The A5 had to have a new diff and two autoboxes within 3 years and the A4 has had 4 windscreens in 3 years. Apparently they’re prone to failure.

I had an A6 auto as a courtesy car once for an extended period and it made both my wife I feel physically sick driving it, a combination of the turbo lag and auto box was horrific.

Such a shame from the company that gave us the Quattro A1 and the Auto Union Type C....kind of.

The previous C7 came bottom in What Car survey .

Lessons haven't been learned .

damn! Wish I had read that before I ordered the new version. I have to admit I didn’t really think it would be anything other than a solid car, albeit not the last word in dynamics. I didn’t really look into it that much. My fault, I know. Had no idea the previous generation was so bad.

Over the last 25 years I have had two Audi A4's, 14 x Audi A6 (Mostly company cars) and two Audi A8s including my current car.
Never had a single problem with any of them. Maybe I've just been unlucky :dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom