Audi multitronic/CVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz_l

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Mini Cooper S, BMW M140i
Anybody ever had one of these? Asking for a friend.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Anybody ever had one of these? Asking for a friend.. ;)

Cheers,

Gaz

Just bought a Audi A6 2.7 TDI auto from my dad. Gearbox is as sweet as they come.

He had it for 6 months before with no issue and the plentiful receipts show no issue from previous owner. Car has done 172.00 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Madam had a couple of them in the past, both A4 V6 Diesels and a friend has an A6 2.8 petrol Avant . Our first A4 had a lag from throttle to the car moving which made getting across busy junctions interesting , the second was better.

They have improved over the years a great deal in terms of reliability and response. Most will have 6 fixed ratios in S or M mode and are very smooth in operation, if buying used ensure the gearbox oil has been changed at the recommended intervals.

Last edited:
I've not heard / read great things about that CVT.

Although as always I'm sure there must be good examples out there.

I wouldn't. Altho improved around 2006 it was discontinued in 2014 in favour of the twin clutch DSG box = S tronic
It was also the subject of a US class action which caused Audi to give a 10 year warranty on their multitronic boxes.
multitronic - Wikipedia

Had an A6 1.9 diesel 2005 with the CVT auto box. As above, they have 6 preset “gears” for manual selection. Bought it as an ex demo and ran it for a couple of years, 20,000 ish miles. Don’t remember any issues other than lower than expected mpg.
Although it was a perfectly capable car It was dull as ditchwater. Glad to return to MB

Well, it's a 2.4 V6 petrol so not exactly powerful for a big heavy car (A6). My friend - let's call him Dave - isn't expecting great things performance wise. But to me, correction, Dave, the initials CVT bring one word to mind - DAF. They must have got better since..

Cheers,

Gaz

I owned an A6 with this gearbox a fair few year ago and all I will say is make sure you try it before you buy because much like the DSG it’s a strange feeling in Auto mode, best way I’d describe it is that it sounds like you’re riding the clutch.

Not the multitronic, but I do have an stronic currently sitting in an Audi workshop waiting to be fixed after a month under their TLC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, it's a 2.4 V6 petrol so not exactly powerful for a big heavy car (A6). My friend - let's call him Dave - isn't expecting great things performance wise. But to me, correction, Dave, the initials CVT bring one word to mind - DAF. They must have got better since..

Cheers,

Gaz

I had a 2.4 manual, a lovely engine, very smooth and tractable, I did drive one auto and it certainly was not quick but you could make refined progress.

Not a bad review of the characteristics.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

close up of the "gubbins "
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

had a lag from throttle to the car moving which made getting across busy junctions interesting

Yup, I found that was a pain in the ****, especially first thing in the morning, and sometimes bloody frightening, but apart from that no problems.

Last edited:
I work in the Auto transmission industry and I wouldn't touch a 01J or and 0AW Audi CVT for love nor money, dreadful things.

I work in the Auto transmission industry and I wouldn't touch a 01J or and 0AW Audi CVT for love nor money, dreadful things.

Are CVTs generally shyte or is this the exception?

We had an 8 year old Honda Jazz CVT from new which didn't put a foot wrong.

Our Nissan Juke CVT died at 22K and 2.5 years old.

My opinion of CVT is not great but Lexus seem to manage to produce a decent CVT (as did Honda in our experience).

Also, what would you say is the best type of auto transmission?

My own feeling is a modern regular slushy despite the economy implications.

Are CVTs generally shyte or is this the exception?

We had an 8 year old Honda Jazz CVT from new which didn't put a foot wrong.

Our Nissan Juke CVT died at 22K and 2.5 years old.

My opinion of CVT is not great but Lexus seem to manage to produce a decent CVT (as did Honda in our experience).

Also, what would you say is the best type of auto transmission?

My own feeling is a modern regular slushy despite the economy implications.
Modern multi geared automatics with lock up clutches are generally more efficient than manuals.

No chains or belts in a Lexus E-CVT transmission, just constantly meshed gears. Nothing really to go wrong, apart from the electronics controlling it all....
Epicyclic_gear_ratios.jpg

Perfect partners: E-CVT and hybrid - Lexus

Must admit I find the E-CVT in my RC300h a revelation! Seamless acceleration in normal driving but flick it into Sport and one has instant PlayStation like 'gear' changes via the paddles. Truly remarkable.

I had an Audi A4 cab with the CVT box, I wasn't a fan.

It's hard to describe the feeling but it's a bit like being pulled along by a massive elastic band. It would hesitate at pulling away and then rev it's nuts off until you back off on the throttle.

Once up to speed it was OK I suppose

Cheers,

Gaz
I had the exact model A6 2.4 Avant with CVT and it was my first and my last Audi because of CVT and other issues. CVT was jerking, couldn’t make up it’s mind when to downshift and when to upshift, I had to drive it in manual mode most of the time.
A litre of motor oil had to be added on 1000 miles intervals, according to Audi it’s normal.
Turning circle of a bus.
Nice looking but horrible thing.

I'm not feeling a lot of love for these, so it looks as though a conventional torque converter seems to be the way forward!

Cheers,

Gaz

Mystery to me. Our gearbox has 7 pre-sets, and just seems smooth. I quite like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom