Audi multitronic/CVT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Remember that the Quattro versions do not use the CVT 'box

No chains or belts in a Lexus E-CVT transmission, just constantly meshed gears. Nothing really to go wrong, apart from the electronics controlling it all....
Epicyclic_gear_ratios.jpg

Perfect partners: E-CVT and hybrid - Lexus

Must admit I find the E-CVT in my RC300h a revelation! Seamless acceleration in normal driving but flick it into Sport and one has instant PlayStation like 'gear' changes via the paddles. Truly remarkable.
How do you find your Rc300h?
I'm going look at one at the weekend,
I wonder about the performance and the depreciation.. Mainly because they don't sell many ..
All the reviews I've seen say the C Class coupe is a better buy and that's what I've got now but I really like the way the Lexus looks..

Remember that the Quattro versions do not use the CVT 'box

I did always have a hunch they'd probably use a slushy but I could never find the confirmation.

I couldn't see an S8 using one, that's for sure.

How do you find your Rc300h?
I'm going look at one at the weekend,
I wonder about the performance and the depreciation.. Mainly because they don't sell many ..
All the reviews I've seen say the C Class coupe is a better buy and that's what I've got now but I really like the way the Lexus looks..
I'm loving it!
Totally different from my CLS55, obviously way down on power but it's more than capable in keeping up with traffic. Overtakes are accomplished without drama, just flicking the transmission into Sport gives instant 'gear' shifts and downshifts for extra go is satisfying. The 0-60 times look slow on paper but mid-range speed is impressive with the additional urge from the batteries.
The E-CVT took getting used to, just think of the silkiest, smoothest auto box and then double it and you get close to the seamless progress it gives.
The cabin is IMHO a step up from the Merc. Leather is wonderfully soft. Seats very supportive. Switch gear is well damped, doors close with a satisfying 'thunk'...
As far as looks go, I've never had so much attention given to any car i've driven before. I get stopped in car parks, cars draw alongside on the motorways to check it out.
The fact they are rare it another attraction, I've only ever seen 3 others on the road.

I'm loving it!
Totally different from my CLS55, obviously way down on power but it's more than capable in keeping up with traffic. Overtakes are accomplished without drama, just flicking the transmission into Sport gives instant 'gear' shifts and downshifts for extra go is satisfying. The 0-60 times look slow on paper but mid-range speed is impressive with the additional urge from the batteries.
The E-CVT took getting used to, just think of the silkiest, smoothest auto box and then double it and you get close to the seamless progress it gives.
The cabin is IMHO a step up from the Merc. Leather is wonderfully soft. Seats very supportive. Switch gear is well damped, doors close with a satisfying 'thunk'...
As far as looks go, I've never had so much attention given to any car i've driven before. I get stopped in car parks, cars draw alongside on the motorways to check it out.
The fact they are rare it another attraction, I've only ever seen 3 others on the road.
Thanks, I think ill go have a drive,I really was uncertain ..

Are CVTs generally shyte or is this the exception?

We had an 8 year old Honda Jazz CVT from new which didn't put a foot wrong.

Our Nissan Juke CVT died at 22K and 2.5 years old.

My opinion of CVT is not great but Lexus seem to manage to produce a decent CVT (as did Honda in our experience).

Also, what would you say is the best type of auto transmission?

My own feeling is a modern regular slushy despite the economy implications.

the problem is John, as I say I work in the industry so I only see the bad ones of any transmission, 722.6 for instance, we see lots of these, but the VAG transmissions in general are pretty poor, I bet for every 3 transmissions we supply parts for 1 is a VAG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom