Audi q3 clutch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NOMONEYBUTAMERC

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
BMW X1 . Porsche 968 Boxster
Friend of mine purchased an Audi q3 , from new in 2013 . Regularly serviced , mot`ed , cambelt change etc at Audi main dealer in Bristol . This morning the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and stayed there. Checked master cylinder ( shared brake/clutch cylinder) , no fluid. No signs of fluid on the driveway or apparent in engine bay.
Had the car transported to dealers , " may not be able to check it for a couple of days due to new cards going through the system" ( 20 plate) , and no loan cars available.
My question is , as the car has only done 31,000 miles , is it reasonable to ask for Audi to make a contribution to the cost of repairs on a seven year old car?
Service manager said estimate would be around £400 for master cylinder or £800 + for slave cylinder replacement ( its inside the gearbox). Best case scenario is broken pipe , but as there is no sign of the lost fluid I think that may be optimistic. Not that I hold out much hope ,but I think he would be well justified in pushing the point.As the master is shared between brake/clutch is it possible the fluid has been sucked into the brake servo?
Thoughts please!

I don't think they will help. Maybe if you establish that this was a problem on that particular model..........

The reason that there's an age rather than a mileage component to car warranties is perhaps to cover variable usage. A car that's used daily in heavy stop start commuter traffic in an urban setting is going to experience more clutch wear then one that racks up its miles in the motorway fastlane? For that reason your claim for financial help from AUDI is liable fall on stony ground- you can but ask.:dk: A bit of research on known clutch faults/ recalls on the the Q3 and perhaps its VW TIGUAN stablemate- both based on the Golf platform is a good idea.:thumb: The related A3 model has been known to experience clutch pedal mechanism failure but that would not explain the fluid loss.
Replacing Broken Clutch Pedal - How to Guide (with pics)

There may be a goodwill gesture if the fact it has a full Audi history is highlighted.

I wouldn't rely on it though at that age.

Depends how good the dealer is.

I know of some dealers who try and help you in that situation and others that go by the book regardless.

Makes me more inclined to use the former dealers of course when I need to.

My sentiments exactly . I remember visiting the Bosch factory at Miskin, Cardiff some years ago when they were working on designing alternators to fit inside gearbox bellhousings for "leading German manufacturers" , to reduce engine noise ! My first thought was that I would not want to be buying a used model with such a potential bill , or for that matter , buy a new one and keep it beyond the warranty period. I suppose after almost 68 years on the planet I should accept that things change in the name of progress , but also believe that "logical progression" sometimes bypasses common sense. Maybe the next generation will get their cars serviced/repaired by androids?

No, its 7 years old!

My sentiments exactly . I remember visiting the Bosch factory at Miskin, Cardiff some years ago when they were working on designing alternators to fit inside gearbox bellhousings for "leading German manufacturers" , to reduce engine noise ! My first thought was that I would not want to be buying a used model with such a potential bill , or for that matter , buy a new one and keep it beyond the warranty period. I suppose after almost 68 years on the planet I should accept that things change in the name of progress , but also believe that "logical progression" sometimes bypasses common sense. Maybe the next generation will get their cars serviced/repaired by androids?

you have seen the film idiocracy, its coming true!

As an aside , I was trying to remember when I last replaced a clutch slave cylinder. I think it was around 1974 , on a 1962 Consul Capri which had been fitted with a 1600GT crossflow engine and (alleged) Lotus Cortina gearbox . My wife and I recently listed all the cars we had ever owned/loaned , including company vehicles and a few that were bought just to sell on. Even I was surprised to reach a total of 94 cars and vans. I decided to start collecting 1:43 scale models of each and every one , where possible in the same colours . First shock was , some of the models cost more than I paid for the original vehicle . Secondly , I could not believe how hard it is to find a lot of them . Never mind , keeps me occupied and maybe I will start buying some secondhand and repainting them. ( sad business getting old !).

35.jpg

As an aside , I was trying to remember when I last replaced a clutch slave cylinder. .

I have never replaced one before last week, I have now replaced 2!

One on a Fiat Panda 4x4 with 142k miles and the other a Fiat Punto with 128k miles.

At least on those it is 10mm bolts out, unclip hose, put new one on.
20 minutes to replace, part £21.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom