Audi q3 clutch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have never replaced one before last week, I have now replaced 2!

One on a Fiat Panda 4x4 with 142k miles and the other a Fiat Punto with 128k miles.

At least on those it is 10mm bolts out, unclip hose, put new one on.
20 minutes to replace, part £21.
I bought my wife a new Fiat Seicento for her 50th birthday ( long time ago! ). she kept it five years and gave it to our daughter . After 3 months the clutch cable snapped. Put my back out replacing the cable . A year later it snapped again so I paid someone to replace it!

still none the wiser :dk:
11492189-1764493931501318.jpg
Here`s a clue.

Well the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing,my guess as to where the brake/clutch fluid went is out of the small drain hole at the bottom of the housing and onto the road,the fact it is at the dealers then your friend is going to get his backside slapped,I doubt it is the master cylinder,more likely the slave,and this has leaked and now the fluid is below the master cylinder and so pedal to the floor,my local mechanic would charge around £240 with the slave cylinder,while this is all happening suggest a new thrust bearing fitted,they are not expensive and it will cost nothing on the labour charge.

Last edited:
clutch+release+system+with+CSC.jpg

An explanation of concentric slave cylinder setups.
CLUTCHVIAWEB: Clutch Master Cylinder - Clutch Slave Cylinder
the thrust bearing is integral item 6 on diagram
design+with+CSC.jpg

a video example [ make unknown]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That makes more sense - inside the bellhousing rather than the gearbox. Still a nightmare compared to conventional but in fairness to Audi they aren't the first to use this, Saab did also on the 99 and derivative models though I think accessible by removing a cover as opposed to the entire gearbox and diff.

And more likely to fail given the increased temperatures it sees tucked inside the bellhousing?
The guys who specify this - have their balls not dropped yet?

And more likely to fail given the increased temperatures it sees tucked inside the bellhousing?
The guys who specify this - have their balls not dropped yet?
Would certainly make it a prime "must change" component during any clutch replacement employing this type of arrangement.

As its VAG group car I would also have the dual mass flywheel and clutch replaced whilst you are in there. If the concentric slave cylinder and release bearing has seized in the disengaged position then there is likely dirt and fluid contamination inside the housing. It will be a can of worms, and expensive.

Pretty much every manual car on the road has a concentric slave cylinder

Scary stuff , glad its not my car! Main dealer workshops scare the hell out of me . Our company recently sent a pickup truck to the main dealers ( I won`t name them as litigation has commenced) ,for some fault finding on the electrics. They charged £100 for an alternator plug , plus £160 for a new alternator . The plug could have been purchased for £6 , and the alternator had not been replaced! We were further charged for an mot which we could not find listed on the dvla site , and removed the vehicle from them due to numerous other "jobs needed" . One of our engineers had to secure part of a wiring loom that had been left dangling , and I am only surprised the service manager at the dealer has not been strung up by my boss.

[QUOTE ="grober, post: 2863987, member: 683"]
clutch+release+system+with+CSC.jpg

Thanks Graeme , I was trying to picture an inboard cylinder setup. Bring back the clutch cable !
An explanation of concentric slave cylinder setups.
CLUTCHVIAWEB: Clutch Master Cylinder - Clutch Slave Cylinder
the thrust bearing is integral item 6 on diagram
design+with+CSC.jpg

a video example [ make unknown]
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
[/QUOTE]

Mystery solved . The slave cylinder failed , clutch soaked in fluid so had to be replaced . £900 bill , plus £280 for a service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom