Audi R8 track day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ibrar

Car
55 plate LWB Sprinter and soon to be C220 AMG Sport Plus
Hey guys,

Went on my first track day on Tuesday and it was probably the best thing I have ever done. Firstly, the R8 is a beast of a machine, most probably the sweetest thing I have ever driven. Secondly the track day itself was simply superb! Sorry to boast about this :) It was run by Audi, for those that have purchased an R8 and offerred buyers the chance to take the car to its limits (sort of) for free! Anywho, the track day (Rockingham Motor Speedway) was broken down into 5 sections.

The first was the induction, in which all the drivers were informed of the boring parts of the car, I think people were falling asleep already however, it gave a good insight on how the car would respond and more importantly how to start the beast :devil:

The second section involved the strong 24 of us, got broken down into groups of 8, which we then partnered off and jumped into our R8s (instructors had their own R8) and each car had a 1 way radio from which the instructor informed us from. 10 of the R8s were Rtronic (flappy paddle) and the other 5 were the manual. From there the circuit was split in half in which we then used the first half to get a feel for the cars, and then started to speed things up! Instructor at the front, other 4 cars following, after each lap switching the car following the instructor! The same of which could be said for the second half of the circuit however in the manuals this time. I would have to say the manual felt slightly sketchy however much more responsive than the Rtronic.

After this, it was time for the slalom.......which compromised of gates, a sharp bend and more swerving here and there :) I believe I hit almost every cone over on my first attemp!! Some ninkumpoop actually drove over a cone :D

Then it was time for the full lap, so we got geared up in our balaclavas and helmets and got back into our R8s (which turned out to be the most uncomfortable thing going, but it did help with our driving). We changed back to the Rtronic as the manual gearstick was driving us mental! Unfortunately it had started to rain at this point and made our laps slower and if it wasn't for a woman driver being in our group it would have been much more thrilling, but someone did almost lose it, but got saved by the grass.

From that we got treated to some food and got given massive gift boxes.
For those that wish to view my pictures and videos from the day, they are on facebook, for those that don't have me, your going to have to wait for me to upload them :D

Ibrar :)

Last edited:
Sounds Good, I think that is a good idea, stops people going out & doing damage because they didn't know the car that they had just spend mega bucks on.
Alan

A number of us have done these kind of track days. I did one run by Mercedes and one by Mazda. The Mercedes was up at Croft and Mazda - for the RX8 was at Rockingham. They are great fun!!

On the MB day got to drive some right beasts and had the whole day on the track - was amazing :D :D :D It's a wonderful opportinuty to rag around in relative safety at crazy speeds and really test your driving skills. Also helps you drive better on the normal roads.

Glad you enjoyed it - and a stunning car to play with.

Fun indeed. While back spent a happy day thrashing BMW's round Thruxton.

Only major off of the day was down to a complete **** who had been telling everyone how he was a touring car driver and thus behaved like a complete pig on the track. How we laughed as he was awarded the Most Glorious Order of the Wooden Spoon.

Get those pictures uploaded!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom