Audi style sequential indicator mod

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk320x

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Tesla Model S, Model 3 LR, Model X /// Previous: Jaguar XFR, Mercedes E320 CDI, C32 AMG, CLK 320
Was looking on eBay and found these LEDS

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262887422899

Was thinking about doing a tailight mod like the Audi sweeping indicators?

It seems to simple as to just putting this Led Strip into the rear tail-light.. but how would this wire up? Anyone got any ideas

Abs

Interesting, but these are only for headlights - the normal light is white DRL, which switches to amber when you indicate.

As far as I can see, there's no way to separate the power supplies to white and yellow LEDs.

Taking apart a head light is a complicated task (and to glue it back together, is not that simple either) - I have done a test run on a very similar mod (dual colour, but not sequential), and left it, for now:

35525485022_152689e9a8_z.jpg

35307131140_5e5aa41316_z.jpg

Contact them through the EBay messaging service and ask.

The photo shows them as 3 wire, so it's not as simple as connect live and negative and it lights up. Remember also that you want it to work properly when the hazards are turned on, I can imagine that the constabulary would be most miffed if you had an ineffective or misleading warning signal at the site of an emergency.

Why would you want to copy what Audi (and DAF trucks) are doing by fitting it to your Mercedes Benz ?

Sounds like more (potential) trouble than its worth. the chance of getting the headlamps to seal properly are slim.

Don't do it. IMHO it won't add anything to your car, but it is YOUR car.

Good luck.

The eBay details say what each wire does,

Note: Red wires = Positive for White
Yellow wires = Positive for amber
Black wire = Ground

So connect red to drl supply and yellow to indicator supply? Would the indicator on pulse be long enough to complete the sweep function? Would the Canbus throw a wobbly?

The eBay details say what each wire does,

Note: Red wires = Positive for White
Yellow wires = Positive for amber
Black wire = Ground

So connect red to drl supply and yellow to indicator supply? Would the indicator on pulse be long enough to complete the sweep function? Would the Canbus throw a wobbly?

I think they're oversimplifying description for the average user - at least in the set I tried (not sequential, but colour-switching), the yellow was only a trigger, and I suspect it's the same in this kit.

The video showing the MB from the front. Is that even legal ? having the 'indicator' in the headlamp flashing completely out of sync with the one on the door mirror.

That has the potential to be very confusing to other road users in poor light/bad weather.

Anyone know the law on this ?

I love the car how Mb designed, however I like to add and change things. I think it would look half decent in the rear cluster?

Will just leave it as doesn't look worth the effort

You might be able to buy a strobe light kit that has a similar effect; maybe look at driftworks?

The point of the sequential turn indicator is its directional illumination, which is a safety feature (and it looks interesting) - that's what the OP is after.

A simply flashing at a different rate rear indicator is rather pointless.

To each his own, but any deviation from standard spec always makes me shudder. Changing colour of alloys or aftermarket kits just don't look right to me. I know I'm in the minority with this, and if the OP wants to customise, why not? But not for me any kind of mod

Our Audi has these and I like them. In fact I upgraded the lights so we also got them on the front.

I wouldn't fit them on a Merc though.

For about the same price as those LED lights, you could hire an angle grinder for a couple of hours, cut through your CLK's roof pillars and turn it into a convertible.

Ta-dah ! Another cheap and equally-desirable modification.

to each his own, but any deviation from standard spec always makes me shudder. Changing colour of alloys or aftermarket kits just don't look right to me. I know i'm in the minority with this, and if the op wants to customise, why not? But not for me any kind of mod ��

+1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom