Audi wins at Le Mans 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
I have never seen a race like it. Audi have prevailed at Le Mans despite the two hideous accidents which put two of the three cars out early in the race.

Peugeot gave them a really hard race right up to the flag this time, the margin was about 12 seconds after 24 hours.

Incredible! What an emotional roller coaster.

Only watched the last 3 or 4 hours, but very good watching.

Thinking of heading over next year...

Only watched the last 3 or 4 hours, but very good watching.

Thinking of heading over next year...

Master E wants to go too after watching last night - it was good enough to get a 16-year old out of bed before 8 this morning.

Perhaps I should get Mrs E to investiagte was packages are available to groups and see if there would be interest in an MBClub trip...

Li9dl.jpg

You want to try it when it's down to you to ensure the win that the company CEO has told the world about, is going to happen:D
Now that's an emotional roller coaster! ;)

I've done Le Mans 18 times, but that is the closest and most tense I have ever seen!

Hi Mactech, I would very much like to see your views on the structural integrity of the R18 tub, and the inventive ways in which Audi (and others) tried to break it this year.

It is emotional enough sitting at home watching thank you - I can't imagine what it is like when there is a large multi-million dollar "The Buck Stops Here" sign right above your head. :crazy:

Last edited:
A closed carbon structure is about the best place in the world to be if you are going to be thrown down a mountian side (or similar!). The Audi is a step on from the Bentley of 2003 which managed to protect it's drivers after landing upsidedown on top of armco at Paul Ricard.
I fought a long battle in the sportscar working group at the FIA to get dispensation for closed sportscars to have small door apertures for increased protection when the FIA wanted to be able to be able to get the complete drivers seat and driver out the top of the car (as in F1).
In all closed sports car accidents after the 2004 regulation changes the drivers have been able to make thier own way out the car.
Alboreto in an open car in 2002 was not so lucky.
I strongly suspect that the two Audi drivers this weekend are very glad they had (strong) roofs over their heads:)
Webber and Dumbreck of the Mercedes aviation squad of 1999 will tell you much the same thing.....;)

The Alboreto and McNish crashes were quite similar in the way the car landed straddling the armco. The end results speak for themselves.

I agree that McNish will be exceedingly relieved that he was not in last year's car.

Master E wants to go too after watching last night - it was good enough to get a 16-year old out of bed before 8 this morning.

Perhaps I should get Mrs E to investiagte was packages are available to groups and see if there would be interest in an MBClub trip...

I'd got it into my head that it would be good to take Jnr D out of school next year to drive through Europe to do the Mille Miglia and Monaco Grand Prix. Looks like we'd have to hang around for Le Man on the way home.

Pizza arrived, F1 restarted. I'm off... :bannana:

Please, could you, it would be a great trip

And what a cracking race (eventually) - chinese consumed during the red flag delay...

Indeed one of the very best races I've seen. I even enjoyed the 2 hours (?) on red!!

What a great day for motorsport - First Le Man, then MotoGP, then a superb F1 Grand Prix!!

MY thoughts exactly! I'm still not really interested again in F1, but found myself with not much to do last night and got quite caught up in the event.

After the Le Mans and MotoGP races, I'm quite motorsport-drunk this morning... :eek:

I have not been to Le Mans for (I'm ashamed to realise and admit it) eleven years now. 2000 was my last one. Time to correct that I think. I used to go with a load of my old Jaguar mates and we always pitched up at the same little private camping ground which was way better (and cheaper) than the usual mass public sites. I have to say that I would much prefer camping, as that to me is all part of the experience. A hotel just wouldn't be the same.

Would certainly be interested if there was a group going over.

Camping is great fun, beer and BBQ, hell the MBC crowd must do it

Gents, having just lost my Le Mans virginity, can I suggest you look at what is offered by Lycian Events (Stephen and Joy Fowell) in association with First Tickets. We had our own fenced site (with our own 24 hour security guards) on the inside of Porsche Curves, an easy walk to the spectators bank. Big catering tent from Relish catering, excellent food and draught bitter, lager and wine, "facilities" with loos, washbasins and showers (hot water!), mini bus to get to and from the course or tram - superb! When the traffic gets really leery, it's only 30 mins walk to the Maison Blanche course entrance!

Sounds far too organised for my liking. :D

I prefer the 'flying by the seat of your pants' approach, which has included in the past such gems as arriving at the camp site without any usable tent (twice - don't ask), without my wallet (lost it at the local Carrefour supermarket on the way to campsite), and with various other events which all go towards making the experience unforgettable.

Off-at-a-tangent-alert: Back in the '90s I once walked past Noel Edmonds and Jeremy Clarkson (who were deep in discussion) at the back of the pits one qualifying evening, and I remember discussing in horror with my comrades the possibility of a 'Team Blobby' entry for the following year. :doh: As it turned out they entered a perfectly normal looking (well, it's all relative) Panoz GT1 the following year. Phew!

I've followed rallying for years tramping around the forests of Britain and the country lanes in Ireland, we always talked about doing Le Mans but never got round to it so I fancy going next year and doing the camping thing to get the full atmosphere and experience of the thing. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom