Audio 20 AUX Volume Level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark82

Car
2007 (57) A180 CDI Avantgarde SE Auto
I've just brought an A-Class A180 (W169) which has the standard Audio 20 unit with a 3.5mm AUX jack in the glovebox.

I have plugged in my iPod to this and everything works fine, but even with the iPod volume up high I have to turn the stereo up quite a bit.

There is no problem with distortion, but if I switch back to radio without remembering to turn down the volume my ears start to bleed :mad:

Is there any option to set the volume on the AUX to be higher?

change the maximum volume setting from within the iPod menu. It's somewhere in the settings. take it up a few notches.

I don't have an iPod menu, this is just the 3.5mm AUX input, not the iPod kit.

I think he means the i-pod menu within the i-pod itself?, not a menu that is available within the Audio 20 that would control something like gain on a "line in" pre-amp input.

I have the same problem btw except my player is a Samsung and that doesnt have such a facility within its menus

hth.
Portzy.

sorry shouldve been clearer, the menu/settings on the iPod!

I've just brought an A-Class A180 (W169) which has the standard Audio 20 unit with a 3.5mm AUX jack in the glovebox.

I have plugged in my iPod to this and everything works fine, but even with the iPod volume up high I have to turn the stereo up quite a bit.

There is no problem with distortion, but if I switch back to radio without remembering to turn down the volume my ears start to bleed :mad:

Is there any option to set the volume on the AUX to be higher?

Sounds like you need the proper Mercedes Ipod kit fitted which gives you full control from the steering wheel etc. This has an in built volume control plus you can have the line amp installed also.

sorry shouldve been clearer, the menu/settings on the iPod!

I've tried all the iPod settings, although it's a very old iPod mini from back in 2004!

Still, it's nothing major and I can put up with having to increase the volume when I use the iPod. I don't want and iPod kit as I have a very old iPod and if/when it stops working I'll probably buy something cheaper so the 3.5mm jack gives me the best flexibility.

is your iPod software (firmware) updated? on the ipod?! if you insall itunes and plug your ipod in, click on your ipod on the left, and in the main window click Check For Updates.

FWIW, the 3.5mm Aux In jack socket on the W204 has the same ultra-low sensitivity issue. Why MB spec'ed it this way I'm not sure, but it's a royal PITA. I've been meaning to either find or build myself a line level pre-amp to overcome the problem because I use a Creative MP3 player rather than an iPod, so Alfie's more elegant solution isn't applicable to me either.

If anyone's come across a suitable line level pre-amp perhaps they could post info here?

If anyone's come across a suitable line level pre-amp perhaps they could post info here?

Someone once directed me to Maplins for something that would cure this but sadly I couldnt find anything. Ended up putting a lot of tunes on my SE K800i and using a low powered radio transmitter thingy but even that was not really satisfactory.

I think that something like this would be awesome though, for scalling up an Mp3 players output, just a matter of how much of the dash would need removing ;).

On a more serious note :) , I'm still looking also.

Portzy

I thought I had the same issue with my Classic. Since I realised I had unknowingly enabled the normalis/equalise sound level (or similar) feature, and turned it off, it's transformed the volume. Not sure if older units have this feature though?

I've just used the goPod software that removed the iPod volume limiter that is applied to all EU iPods. I will try this tonight and see if it makes a difference.

What I would like to know is - how do you connect a 3.5mm jack to an audio 20? I ask because I have a Creative Labs MP3 which I used in my 300E (via a flying lead to a Pioneer sound system) and I am buying a facelift 203, which I presume, has the audio 20.
Any help gratefully received
Cheers
Andy

What I would like to know is - how do you connect a 3.5mm jack to an audio 20? I ask because I have a Creative Labs MP3 which I used in my 300E (via a flying lead to a Pioneer sound system) and I am buying a facelift 203, which I presume, has the audio 20.
Any help gratefully received
Cheers
Andy

oooh - new car has just arrived - I'll investigate - back later!

Chuffed with the car (that's another topic though) - apparently I need a chinch upgrade? can only find one thread in this forum about it, and that leads to some dead ends and an american site - anyone got any info about it, or should I start another thread?

I am also considering getting a Comand upgrade (from alfie) - but I would like to use my creative labs jukebox, so something that gives me a 3.5mm socket input would be great
Cheers
Andy

Thanks Kev - that was really helpful! After a good trawl through all sorts of MB forums, I now know how to access the Aux-In wiring!

I phoned the local stealership for the link cable with the part number 'A203etc' and my chassis number, they said the part number had changed to 'A2104405005' - they have ordered it for me - should be there on Saturday at a cost of £10.93 - result!

The socket will fit into the glove box - personally, I would like a flying lead socket on the console as well - I want to be able to select next track, without having a wire trailing from the glovebox (Ipod kit is not a solution for me - I use a Creative Labs Jukebox)

So - does anybody know how to route a cable from the glovebox to the console?
Cheers
andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom