Audio 20 / COMAND on 2018 E Class (differences)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnSeaway

Car
E 220 and A220
Hi Folks, I’m in the process of buying a 2018 E 220 which has Audio 20. Reading up on line in advance I’m struggling with a handbook which is 498 pages ! (And refers to NEW vehicles) to establish all the differences between the spec on Audio 20 and comand? Some connectivity differences are fairly obvious but I’m wondering about my iPhone integration amongst other things, mapping updates seem to be an issue without dealer intervention etc. Can anybody shed any light on this and maybe save me several years reading !?!?
(The car is pre-electronic dash & touch pad but has ‘premium’ pack)

Not sure about all the differences! Command should be able to play videos as well whereas my audio 20 does not.

For audio 20, different spec combinations are possible in each and every car...options selected by buyers. Audio 20 vs audio 20. Check options via car vin to ensure it has what you need.

Not sure about all the differences! Command should be able to play videos as well whereas my audio 20 does not.

For audio 20, different spec combinations are possible in each and every car...options selected by buyers. Audio 20 vs audio 20. Check options via car vin to ensure it has what you need.
Thanks for response..I have the Oasis spec sheet so am well aware of what it has on it however the connectivity and various features with Audio 20 as opposed to Comand is not very well expressed in the handbook. I expect it’s there somewhere but I haven’t yet found it. The spec options with various vehicle options for new vehicles has been much altered from around 2018 onwards with a few late build exceptions, when I bought my A220 in 2013 there was a basic price then pages of options....I think my options alone were about 6k! (AMG body kit/intelligent lights/panoramic /parking pilot etc etc)Now if you want an E220 with a panoramic roof, for example, you have to buy a much higher spec model than you may actually want. By choosing a used vehicle I have the options/colour/trim that I want, which simply are no longer available anymore with that model, however the tech has advanced considerably over the last seven years and finding out what is now possible is the real issue!

Isn’t Audio 20 just the sound system, with or with out DAB, and Comand is the sat nav system?

Isn’t Audio 20 just the sound system, with or with out DAB, and Comand is the sat nav system?
Oh if only it were that simple! NO.

Comand has the bigger screen and hard disk based navigation. Much better navigation, sound and features. Audio 20 has a limited SD card based navigation system and smaller screen. Both work with your phone for telephone calls.

Welcome.

One other point relates to whether Apple CarPlay / Android Auto are important to you. This feature is sadly very inconsistent on MB cars. Some have it, some don't. Of those that don't, on some it can easily be activated or retrofitted, on others it can be done but at a cost, on some it can't be done at all. So if this is important to you, you may want to check with the seller if this feature is included, and if it isn't, then email the VIN to www.comandonline.co.uk and they will be able to quote for it.

Another point is re audio quality - as Alfie said, COMAND is the better unit, which may be relevant if you ever intend to upgrade the standard speakers.

Comand has the bigger screen and hard disk based navigation. Much better navigation, sound and features. Audio 20 has a limited SD card based navigation system and smaller screen. Both work with your phone for telephone calls.
Thank you for your reply...I was aware of the comand disc based system & associated internet linked enhancement. If the navigation is sd card based you would think that it should be easy enough to update the maps but apparently it’s a dealer only option as I understand, whereas the comand can be linked to a mercedes-me updating system...far easier

Welcome.

One other point relates to whether Apple CarPlay / Android Auto are important to you. This feature is sadly very inconsistent on MB cars. Some have it, some don't. Of those that don't, on some it can easily be activated or retrofitted, on others it can be done but at a cost, on some it can't be done at all. So if this is important to you, you may want to check with the seller if this feature is included, and if it isn't, then email the VIN to www.comandonline.co.uk and they will be able to quote for it.

Another point is re audio quality - as Alfie said, COMAND is the better unit, which may be relevant if you ever intend to upgrade the standard speakers.
Thank you..I don’t really know anything about Apple CarPlay, apart from the fact that my phone supports it...but I suspect that it wouldn’t be important to me....I don’t use a lot of ICE but occasionally I play my music collection via my iPhone or an old iPod whilst in my A220 on a long journey. This E220 is an additional vehicle and is unlikely to do more than about 3000ml pa.

The COMAND system will have 3-years free map updates, i.e. until 2021, after which the update will cost £99-£199 (varies between dealers).

The Garmin Map Pilot that is optional on the Audio20 system comes (from memory) with 60 days free map updates, after which further updates are done by buying a new SD-Card, £99 from MB or less on eBay.

Both come with 3 years free TomTom Live Traffic subscription. With COMAND, the subscription renewal is separate to the maps renewal. With Garmin, a new version on new SD-Card will also renew the subscription.

The COMAND system will have 3-years free map updates, i.e. until 2021, after which the update will cost £99-£199 (varies between dealers).

The Garmin Map Pilot that is optional on the Audio20 system comes (from memory) with 60 days free map updates, after which further updates are done by buying a new SD-Card, £99 from MB or less on eBay.

Both come with 3 years free TomTom Live Traffic subscription. With COMAND, the subscription renewal is separate to the maps renewal. With Garmin, a new version on new SD-Card will also renew the subscription.
Many thanks for response, I see from the Oasis spec sheet that it has SD card based navigation which I believe is Garmin (my personal system of choice) so I guess it’s down to occasionally upgrading the SD card ! Do you know if the nav card is located in the SD slot within the centre console glove pocket or is there another slot hidden away? Just wondered

Many thanks for response, I see from the Oasis spec sheet that it has SD card based navigation which I believe is Garmin (my personal system of choice) so I guess it’s down to occasionally upgrading the SD card ! Do you know if the nav card is located in the SD slot within the centre console glove pocket or is there another slot hidden away? Just wondered

The Garmin Map Pilot SD-Card is located in the SD-Card slot in the central console. There is only one SD-Slot in the car, the others are USB.

Comand can also display map/instructions on the LCD in the instrument cluster as-well as the significantly larger audio systems display. The COMAND system is a much nicer navigation system, and when factory fitted it reads the speed limit signs. Theres a few more remote services (Mercedes ME things) with COMAND, but I can't remember exactly what. I think the amplifier in COMAND is better than Audio-20 one.

Richard

Comand can also display map/instructions on the LCD in the instrument cluster as-well as the significantly larger audio systems display. The COMAND system is a much nicer navigation system, and when factory fitted it reads the speed limit signs. Theres a few more remote services (Mercedes ME things) with COMAND, but I can't remember exactly what. I think the amplifier in COMAND is better than Audio-20 one.

Richard
Hi y'all
Just rejoined this forum having lost my login details - not important as all my previous queries related to a W202 that I don't have any more. This thread seems appropriate to my problem. I've just acquired a 2013 62 plate W212 E250 for my sins, and seem to be working through issues inflicted on it by the previous owner (serious water leak, bodged throttle body and an exhaust temperature sensor). But my current question concerns the audio system - as far as I can tell it's AUDIO 20 - when it turns on it displays a message about "The System" rather than "Comand". My previous E280 had Comand and it recognised full UK postcodes - this thing doesn't, and I guess there's nothing I can do about that. So I believe this has the Garmin system and uses an SD card. I have a standalone Garmin unit and this does recognise UK postcodes, so I think this is all a bit odd. But I want to update the map as it's quite old and I can't find the SD card slot - where should I find it?
Thanks in advance
Malc

Hi y'all
Just rejoined this forum having lost my login details - not important as all my previous queries related to a W202 that I don't have any more. This thread seems appropriate to my problem. I've just acquired a 2013 62 plate W212 E250 for my sins, and seem to be working through issues inflicted on it by the previous owner (serious water leak, bodged throttle body and an exhaust temperature sensor). But my current question concerns the audio system - as far as I can tell it's AUDIO 20 - when it turns on it displays a message about "The System" rather than "Comand". My previous E280 had Comand and it recognised full UK postcodes - this thing doesn't, and I guess there's nothing I can do about that. So I believe this has the Garmin system and uses an SD card. I have a standalone Garmin unit and this does recognise UK postcodes, so I think this is all a bit odd. But I want to update the map as it's quite old and I can't find the SD card slot - where should I find it?
Thanks in advance
Malc
Have you looked in the centre armrest?

Have you looked in the centre armrest?
Many thanks Alfie - no I hadn't and yes, I can see it there now. I assume there must be a card in there now cos presumably the sat nav won't work without it. Given that my fingers are very fumbly these days what's the easiest way to get the card out?

I believe your 2013 car may still have the older Becker Map Pilot navigation system? From memory, the Garmin Map Pilot navigation was only introduced around 2014.

What is displayed when the NAVI is first selected - do you get a Becker or Garmin logo?

If it's the Garmin, then the SD-Card will pop-out if you gently press it inwards.

The Becker on the other hand is just a small box, no SD-Card.

I believe your 2013 car may still have the older Becker Map Pilot navigation system? From memory, the Garmin Map Pilot navigation was only introduced around 2014.

What is displayed when the NAVI is first selected - do you get a Becker or Garmin logo?

If it's the Garmin, then the SD-Card will pop-out if you gently press it inwards.

The Becker on the other hand is just a small box, no SD-Card.
Thanks Mark!
I seem to have a slot in the centre console, but I'm not sure there's anything in it. Could you tell me where the small box is, please? Presumably if it is the Becker then updating the map isn't going to be so easy...
Many thanks

Thanks Mark!
I seem to have a slot in the centre console, but I'm not sure there's anything in it. Could you tell me where the small box is, please? Presumably if it is the Becker then updating the map isn't going to be so easy...
Many thanks

If you car has the Becker Map Pilot, then it will reside inside the glove compartment, and can be removed from the car and connected to a PC using Mini-USB cable for the maps (and also firmware and software) update.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom