Audio 20 SMS function not working with iPhone 4S

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RTaylor

Car
B Class (W246)
Well, I arrived at the dealers this morning and sat around for about 1.5 hours while they checked the software versions on my car etc.
Long and short of it the software is apparently up to date and the service rep says he has the exact same issue and he doesnt 'think' it will work.

Even when I pushed him a bit further by asking who would have a definitive answer they said they are waiting for the guru in Milton Keynes to get back to them - thats a week now ! Can anyone else confirm if they have managed to get SMS working with the Audio 20 (basic model i.e. no multi media or phone cradle etc) and an iPhone and confirm which phone and iOs version. Mine works fine pairing, phone call list and contacts although since updating os to 6.1 it no longer automatically starts playing music which is listed as an issue with apple.

I am fast getting peed off with MB and their wishy washy answers.

M

C

Can ant

I have audio 20 but do have multi media, mine was not working until I changed a setting on phone, but cannot remember exactly what I changed. Going to attach a photo of mb Bluetooth profile on phone, I believe it could have been something in here.

image-859036645.jpg

Be worth checking.

Markjames said:
I have audio 20 but do have multi media, mine was not working until I changed a setting on phone, but cannot remember exactly what I changed. Going to attach a photo of mb Bluetooth profile on phone, I believe it could have been something in here.

Be worth checking.

Thanks, exactly same as mine :-(

Markjames said:
Ok, sorry couldn't help more.

Actually Mark I would be interested to see what your head unit says for Active Profiles in the engineering menu if you wouldnt mind checking.

You have to press 3 buttons together for about 10 seconds to enter then choose Tel / Bluetooth / Active Profiles

Mine doesn't show MAP in list, I presume a working one will, the menu option device profiles lists MAP so it knows phone is capable

Heres a video of how to get into engineering mode

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=KzWqBeg3FRc&desktop_uri=/watch?v=KzWqBeg3FRc

For what it's worth, when I had my last car with audio 20 i had a Nokia phone but soon found that SMS wouldn't work via bluetooth. It only worked when docked in the cradle.
I now have Comand and an iphone but SMS doesn't work. I presume this was because it's only tethered via bluetooth. Be interested to find out if I can get it working myself.

Markjames said:
This is what mine is showing

Exactly same as mine, the plot thickens.

What iOs version do you currently use ? I have tried 6.0, 6.1 and 6.1.1 to no avail. I wouldn't recommend updating your currently if its stable, seem to be creating more issues than they fix in latest updates.

I'm guessing you do realise it will only show text messages you receive whilst in the car with phone attached, it won't show any currently onthe phone.

Markjames said:
I'm guessing you do realise it will only show text messages you receive whilst in the car with phone attached, it won't show any currently onthe phone.

Not sure if you saw this one

Markjames said:

Yeah, LOL I must of sent at least 40 or 50 to myself while sat in car over last 2 weeks trying all sorts of different settings.

I guess mine working was pure luck then!!! Annoying when you know something is capable of working but you can't sort it out. Would be frustrating the hell out of me to.

One other could be worth checking, go into settings, notifications, messages

image-207123398.jpg

Don't know if having notifications inherent would make a difference

Markjames said:

Sorry, meant to say on here

Markjames said:

Yeah they are set up too, I have actually tried all 3 options with that, its been an unbelievably frustrating experience, I just went through the following process AGAIN and now my Bluetooth Music is streaming again as soon as phone connects which partly broke on upgrade to 6.1 i.e. had to manually invoke and it kept requiring me to select device to stream each time

I did a 'network reset' in phone, changed phone name in iTunes, deleted the bluetooth profile on phone and car ...

Did an 'external' pair and Phone appeared in about 2 seconds rather than about 10 as before and it magically started playing music from Phone.

When I sent a text to myself I hear the warning tone from phone through car speakers alert on screen but no prompt on car screen and no message in sms section on screen.

I will keep monitoring the Apple forums.

I did also invoke Siri after message arrived on phone to make sure it hadnt somehow marked it as read or old in some way but it found it and read it out to me and even asked if I wanted to reply ..... SO SLICK . Shame MB didn't implement a way of invoking Siri via car steering/multi control

One can only hope

Don't know if you have seen it but there is now another apple update, 6.1.2. I'm not going to do mine at mo as have SMS function working but could be worth a try if you still not got anywhere.

Markjames said:
Don't know if you have seen it but there is now another apple update, 6.1.2. I'm not going to do mine at mo as have SMS function working but could be worth a try if you still not got anywhere.

Yep, already installed it, no joy on the SMS issue however I did manage to fix an issue that started occurring with Bluetooth Audio Streaming on 6.1 where it wouldnt auto start when phone connected to car and previously was being used

After install of 6.1.2 I renamed the phone in iTunes and did a 'reset of Network' after forgetting the MB Bluetooth connection in phone, I also deleted the pairing in car.

When I paired up again music is streaming perfectly again and starts and stops in 2 or 3 seconds so trying not to think about the SMS for now and hopefully in time it will be fixed in an Apple update.

I had the car in the MB dealer on monday and they said software in car is up to date. I have given up on talking to them as they seem to know very little about their own products, the service guy was visibly shocked when I showed him the engineering mode in Audio 20 and pointed out the Bluetooth profiles etc, I was checking out the iPhone 5 today as can upgrade in 2 months but thinking about it all my current docs etc will become obsolete without an adaptor ( not really what you want to keep carrying around with you ). Best dealer could offer was that they know a Blackberry Torch works just fine but there is no way I would go back to a Blackberry now, Android at a push

By the way I heard on the grapevine that 6.1.3 is in Beta Testing right now , it will fix the unlocking bug.

6.1.1 & 6.1.2 seem to be mostly for a battery drain issue related to microsoft exchange email , so if your phone is fine I would leave well alone :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom