Audio 20 upgrade to Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by BertF, Nov 1, 2011.

1. BertF

BertF New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230Avantgarde
    Hi All
    I have a C230 Avantgarde with the UHI system of connecting a mobile phone to the car Audio 20. The phone cradle is in the centre glovebox/armrest. My mobile phone is an HTC Wildfire if there is no kit available for that I also have an old Nokia 6021. Any helpful ideas please anyone?

2. OP
    OP
    BertF

BertF New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230Avantgarde
    Hmmm....Thanks npuk for your reply....problem is, I don't know what the "w" signifies in all the different variants of the C-Class, so cannot find the particular adaptor for my car. The "Choosing Bluetooth Cradle....." website helped me figure out a couple of days ago that my car has the UHI system, the other website "Comand Online Ltd" I cannot even begin to understand...sorry!

3. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    Any of the bluetooth adapters on the Comand Online link that are for UHI will work so Viseeo MB2, Mercedes HFP and Mercedes SAP. If you look at the detailed page on each cradle it has compatibility info on phones.

See chart at the bottom of this link for W numbers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_E-Class

Last edited: Nov 2, 2011
  4. OP
    OP
    BertF

BertF New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C230Avantgarde
    Thanks npuk, got that.....

5. Pev

Pev New Member

Car:
    2005 C230 Kompressor
    Hi BertF

For what it's worth I bought the SAP v2, and unless you plan on rooting your android phone and messing around with a work-in-progress app I don't think you should bother with that. If you confirm your Nokia supports rSAP (remote sim access protocol) then the SAP will quite likely work with it - BUT, you'll be stuck with a small minority of phones. FWIW I have heard reports the Samsung Galaxy S II works out of the box with the SAP v2. Additionally, Android stores contacts in the cloud and caches onto the phone, so you may have to check whether you have to do something special to get them onto the sim, and if so, maybe there will be issues with contacts that have multiple numbers etc.

I haven't personally used the Viseeo yet but research suggests it's a problem free "simple" solution that just works - very much unlike the Mercedes bluetooth options! I do wish I had done more research beforehand and I wouldn't have bought the Mercedes part. If I hadn't seen the dynavin head unit I would have already bought a ViseeO, but right now I'm balancing the two. Dynavin = big dollars plus pain and suffering for a potentially awesome result, ViseeO = yet another hundred or two (plus writing off my SAP v2) and all I get is the privilege of having a bunch of buttons I rarely if ever use actually do what they were supposed to do in the first place.

One final note is the SAP (v2 at least) is also a phone in it's own right, which sounded great to me as I had a contract-free sim from three that would have been perfect for the job, but it won't work with sims on the three network. So again, the Mercedes option is full of conditions and caveats so quite disappointing.

I hope this helps you decide the best option for you, nothing more annoying than buyers remorse!

Cheers

Pev