Audio 20 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moleshome

Car
C220 AMG Sport
I'm just waiting to collect my 63 plate c220 Estate and it would seem that it has the world's most basic audio system and although it's got the 508 Navibox Preinstallation option it doesn't have satnav.

What I want to be able to do is get a working Satnav system, be able to stream music from my iPhone. DAB radio would be a bonus and ideally I'd also like to be able to plug in a reversing camera.

Now from the limited reading I've done so far it sounds like the system I've currently got is a bit of a dead end but I noticed that over in the Classified section gibsonk is selling "W204 Comand and W207 parts", would those bits be enough to get me to a slightly better starting position?

If I were to ditch the OEM system completely for an aftermarket double DIN system would the switch bar from gibsonk's post be needed to reposition the switches?

Audio 20 is in fact a quite capable unit, it will stream music from your phone over Bluetooth, and has decent audio quality (it's the speakers that let the system down). You can also play music off a USB memory stick that fits in the USB socket that's inside the centre armrest, or use the aux port in the same location.

And you can buy a new or used Backer Map Pilot on eBay or Amazon and have a fully integrated satnav system (the Becker Map Pilot a small unit that fits in the glove box).

And as far as I know the DAB option can be added to Audio20.

Audio20 does not support the original MB reverse camera, but there are aftermarket reverse camera kits that can be fitted to Audio20.

But if you are looking to upgrade the infotainment unit, then the genuine alternative is COMAND NTG4.5 (or 4.7).

You will get a larger screen with higher resolution, integral satnav system with the maps residing on an internal 100gb hard disk drive (10gb of which are allocated as music store), and an SD-Card socket.

While COMAND is a superior system compared to Audio20 and Becker Map Pilot, the obvious downside is that ultimately we are in 2018 and you will be retrofitting technology that was introduced by MB in 2011 and retired in 2015.

The only way around this would be to install an aftermarket unit. It won't have the MB OEM feel and look, but it will have current technology.

I suggest that you talk to www.comand.co.uk , who upgraded the Audi 20 on my W204 to COMAND NTG4.7. They have also retrofitted an original MB reverese camera, upgraded the speakers (crucial), and retrofitted heated front seats. I didn't go for the DAB option, but it's available if you want it. I went for COMAND over more modern aftermarket system because I wanted to original look abd feel, and I am very happy with the upgrade carried-out by www.comand.co.uk.

4A679E35-71D1-450E-B938-A3B4D8C6396E.jpeg C9D679FF-B120-4711-A074-A8C4A404BD11.jpeg Hi I have just ordered (link below ) this for my Slk 172 with audio 20 ,,, it replaces the screen but still retains all the ome functions and adds lots more , basically it a 9inch touch screen tablet..
With reverse cam input sat nav , dab radio and lot n lot more ,,
They do one for your c class and
Site is a bit difficult to navigate to find stuff but if you drop them an email with what car/ system fitted . They will show what’s for your car , links and videos

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is one installed in a e class

The Android screen does look good but I think I've got the facelift version and having looked at a couple of links it doesn't sound like they do it for the rhd facelift.

The Comand guys are just down the road from me so I guess I'll be paying them a visit once I collect the car and see what my options are.

...The Comand guys are just down the road from me so I guess I'll be paying them a visit once I collect the car and see what my options are.

^^^^^^
This

HI, Yes Moleshome please do pop in and see us. Call up and make sure me (Richard) or Mark are there as we can look up the car's datacard and tell you all that can be done.

You can put COMAND in there (which will give you a bigger screen and Navigation and better sound), and add DAB, Reverse Camera, Media Interface, better speakers, etc etc etc etc

I'd recommend sticking with factory COMAND as thats the way Mercedes designed it :)

Cheers
Richard

Audio 20 is in fact a quite capable unit, it will stream music from your phone over Bluetooth, and has decent audio quality (it's the speakers that let the system down). You can also play music off a USB memory stick that fits in the USB socket that's inside the centre armrest, or use the aux port in the same location.

Is there a recommended upgrade for the speakers, and how easy is it for a DIY'er to replace them?

Garycat, its a bit of a hard job on those C classes, because there is so little depth in the doors and the speakers are so small. Also, if you do not have burmeister there is only 1 woofer in one of the footwells wierdly wired between the left and right.

We've done a few C class sound upgrades, but you have to use very good speakers and some very carefully placed dynamat and a dremel to fit it all.

Surprisingly no one has done a straight drop-in replacement (like there are for the similarly small speakers on BMW and Mini) - although i'm sure they will as same size speakers are being used on most of the range now.

Richard

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that Richard already replied...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom