Audio 20 Won’t read discs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chimp400

Car
C180 K
Hi All
My dad has recently bought a 2005 C180 Kompressor and the Audio 20 stereo wont read discs.
The discs are clean and originals.
Is there a fix for this or do we need to look for a replacement?
I’m assuming it’s not coded to the car so can be replaced?
I know some cars use an auto changer in the glovebox, maybe this is an option?
Thanks

There's no glovebox (or boot) CD-changer option for the Audio20 unit in your car.

I am not sure if it's 'coded to the car', but the potential issue is that the second hand unit off eBay might have anti-theft protection enabled (I.e. it will only work with the VIN of the donor car) - you need to clarify this with the seller before buying.

I will check but the seller is unlikely to know.
I may take a punt at £25 so it's not a big problem.

You could try cleaning the reader itself. Buy one of those lens cleaning disks with the little brushes.
Could just be enough dust on the laser that is to blame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would you consider Bluetooth?

I just fitted an aux lead to mine which bought from C (W203) 2004-2007 and CLC (W203) 2004-2008 and I only took about 20mins to install.

Couple that with one of these and jobs a gooden https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KON1JIA/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Couple of things to check as there are different variations and the install is slightly different between them but the easiest one is look in the glove box and on the left hand side of it there might be a small circle ready to pop out if there is then great you can run the lead to a plug that's already there waiting for you.

That being said there might already be an aux port there?

Not my pic but .....

w203 aux.jpg

Thanks, he does have an aux cable in the glove box someone has added but sadly he's a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to phones!
I'm going to try the laser clean disc first and see how it goes.
Don't really want to start messing with aftermarket head units etc.

Thanks, he does have an aux cable in the glove box someone has added but sadly he's a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to phones!
I'm going to try the laser clean disc first and see how it goes.
Don't really want to start messing with aftermarket head units etc.

Ahhh fair enough if you fancy giving it a try hold the CDC button to switch to the Aux port I was going to load my daughters songs on a cheap MP3 player for her but to be honest thought it better that I stay in control.

Try giving Command online a call they're a fountain of knowledge.

So I didn’t really get anywhere with this, I spoke to command online and they didn’t have the parts to repair it. Another online repair place wanted £79 to look at it and couldn’t guarantee a fix so I’m not going down that road.
I ordered one from eBay and it also had a disc read error problem so I think it’s better to peruse a new unit.
I’d like to stay with something that doesn’t look out of place in the dash which single din conversions can, but not ruled it out if I can find a clean looking unit.
I’d have an ultimate budget of £300, does anyone have any advice on what Double din units to look at?
Something simpler would be good as my dad isn’t a lover of tech and sat nav etc is not really required, it’s mainly cd and radio use.
Thanks in advance.

Would you consider Bluetooth?

I just fitted an aux lead to mine which bought from C (W203) 2004-2007 and CLC (W203) 2004-2008 and I only took about 20mins to install.

Couple that with one of these and jobs a gooden https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KON1JIA/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Couple of things to check as there are different variations and the install is slightly different between them but the easiest one is look in the glove box and on the left hand side of it there might be a small circle ready to pop out if there is then great you can run the lead to a plug that's already there waiting for you.

That being said there might already be an aux port there?

Not my pic but .....

View attachment 91661
Not true . The presence of the cut out in the glove box does NOT guarantee that your version of Audio 20 has the part of the wiring loom in the passenger side sill to fit a 3.5mm jack plug. Check first for the presence of the 'redundant' plug in the sill cavity before buying the cable.

Note: on a lot of older systems the laser can be 'worn' out by previous owners playing home burn discs, the mechanism was never designed to read so much information from one disc and home burned discs mad the unit work to hard and fail.
From memory I think original CD's were seventy something minutes long (due to Beethoven or Mozart?) home burn discs cram loads more on. I might be wrong...it has been known :rolleyes:

So for anyone interested I fitted the connects 2 double din kit CTKMB01 and the wiring was straightforward and worked a treat.
sadly this fitting kit only caters for double din stereos that have a double din casing, mine was a double din stereo with single din casing.
it does fit but isnt perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom