Audio Streaming via Standard Audio 20 Media set up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nss

Car
C220 Sport Premium Estate
Hi there, about to take plunge (for us) on C220 Estate, Sport Premium - paperwork signed (first time MB owner, v excited) - been given a couple of days to choose optional extras, and I cannot get clarity on following:

Will standard option Audio 20 media system enable bluetooth audio streaming of music from smartphone too, or only phone link up?

The Lit and website searches seem to imply i need 1) the £1,500 COMAND online upgrade to allow bluetooth music audio streaming or 2) connect my phone using the auxiliary ports/ inputs?

Surely not ... bluetooth audio connectivity (in addition to bluetooth phone link up) is standard in the Toyota Aygo courtesy car I recently used!

Got about 72hrs to decide any impartial input from outside the dealership would be most welcome. Thanks in advance, Nick

Surely not ... bluetooth audio connectivity (in addition to bluetooth phone link up) is standard in the Toyota Aygo courtesy car I recently used!

Sounds about right for Mercedes!

Sadly I'm not familiar with the new spec list of MB so can't make any more genuinely helpful, but they have made plenty of money over the years by charging for what others do as standard....

PS - Audi seem to do the same. Had an A4 hire car in Ireland that had satnav etc. Only way to connect for streaming was with a £75 set of wires... RTE2 all the way....

Will standard option Audio 20 media system enable bluetooth audio streaming of music from smartphone too,

The Lit and website searches seem to imply i need 1) the £1,500 COMAND online upgrade to allow bluetooth music audio streaming or 2) connect my phone using the auxiliary ports/ inputs?

MB do not make it easy, do they?
Anyway, my son bluetooths his iPhone 5s to the Audio 20 in both the A-Class (2014) and C-Class (2012) and both stream music and links the phone for calls simultaneously. He plugs the iPhone lead into the USB between the seats for power only. On both models, the track info etc appears on the central screen and he changes tracks via the buttons. Neither car has iPod Module or Media Module.

Anyway, my son bluetooths his iPhone 5s to the Audio 20 in both the A-Class (2014) and C-Class (2012) and both stream music and links the phone for calls simultaneously. He plugs the iPhone lead into the USB between the seats for power only. On both models, the track info etc appears on the central screen and he changes tracks via the buttons. Neither car has iPod Module or Media Module.
Thanks for the prompt replies, I tried to reply via the phone app for this site a few days back but it wouldn't let me.

So, two viewpoints, both at opposite ends of the 'optimism spectrum'! Really appreciate you chipping in though. giantvanman's response gives me hope (i.e. that bluetooth audio streaming alongside telephony is such a standard feature in prestige vehicles, that they don't even bother to mention it in their marketing spiel).

I am stunned by the apparent (and I've searched a lot) lack of available info on this.

the obvious thing to do would be to check with my dealership, but the sales guy there is so difficult to get a hold of (even when trying to confirm my sale - what's that all about??!), and so lacking in basic knowledge about the vehicle (only been there 4 months he says) that I have no confidence in any answer he gives me.

'Humpf' - thanks again, I'll keep scouring for a 100% concrete answer. Nick

Apparently, when the Comand says it can't link, look on the iPhone and the car car will be on the list of available connections. If you push the iPhone again, it should link. Basically, just because the bluetooth is on, it doesn't mean to say the car will find it. Both iPhone and car should search at the same time. Apparently, according to my son. So take heart; it can and has been done………as for dealers, I had to explain to the salesman what ABC was and how it worked and then why I didn't want it. Salesman of the year last year too.

Last edited:
> Salesman of the year last year
Hilarious!

Thank god the cars sell themselves, eh! Just found possible 'definitive answer'

Mercedes-Benz Bluetooth Connectivity

Which allows you to choose your phone (Sony Z3) and see how compatible it is with COMAND and Audio 20. It says:

"Your mobile phone: The following describes how to operate the range of Bluetooth® functions on your mobile phone using COMAND Online. It also applies to Audio 20. In order to play back music, the mobile phone must be connected via Bluetooth® to the Mercedes-Benz telephone system. The necessary steps are described in the sections on using the telephone functions. This is because a connection in telephone mode automatically results in a connection in music mode."

Interactive Owner's Manual [NTG5_0_ECE]

No distinction between the two systems, or info that says 'this only applies to COMAND'.

Fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Nick

Excellent link, i've looked for such for a long time now.
Hope you are enjoying ur new ride.

This is spot on for me too, 2014 SLK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom