Audio System Wiring color codes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Macau_C180

Car
1996 W202, C180
Hi, i will install and aftermarket Head Unit in my 1997 C180, as the car have no head unit right now, and the plug was cut from the care wiring, does anyone knows the color codes for the audio system? I need to know wich wire is 12V constant, 12V ignition, front and rear speakers, antenna and amp remote if there is one... Thanks for any help :)

Many cars are different, but often brown is ground, black is ignition, grey is lights and red is permanent power. Aerial trigger is usually blue and can be used for the amp trigger as well. You should measure all these carefully to ensure it is correct.

As to the speakers, the best way to check is to use a 1.5V battery across the bare wires, you will here a crackle. This assumes the speaker leads don't go into an amplifier somewhere in which case don't do it!

Thnkas for your reply, well i guess if nobody knows the right color codes for the MB, then i will have to take that way, with a multimeter and check the wiring..

Also i remenber something, i can check the color for the speakers on each door, just need to remove the speaker grill and check the wires there hehe..

Thanks

Thnkas for your reply, well i guess if nobody knows the right color codes for the MB, then i will have to take that way, with a multimeter and check the wiring..

Also i remenber something, i can check the color for the speakers on each door, just need to remove the speaker grill and check the wires there hehe..

Thanks

I'm afraid too many forum members do know the wire colours, this info has been posted too many times and members get lazy in repeating it.

A 97 car should have a standard DIN connector for speaker wires (if not the rest), easy to figure out which wire is for which speaker. On the other hand, the new head unit would have the same order of wires, would not even need to care which one goes where.

Could anyway search for an example radio connector layout from earlier posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom