Audio10 RDS Cassette won't play traffic bulletins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welland99

Car
W210 E280 estate 1999 facelift; 6th gen honda accord coupe 2000
I've got an audio 10 RDS with cassette deck and CD changer. The problem is that I cannot get it to play traffic bulletins.

I know they only work on the FM waveband. I have the radio tuned in to several BBC local radio stations and they all have good reception.

All the buttons seem to work. I can use the mute button to mute the radio and bring it back on again. If I press and hold the mute button, the TP changes from black on white to white on black (and vice versa). This makes no difference.

But still I only get the traffic bulletin on the station I am listening to. My other car gets the interruptions from other stations perfectly well, so I know that the local radio stations are broadcasting the traffic bulletins.

Can anybody offer advice??:wallbash:

Does your Audio 10 play travel bulletins from another station?

The thing is that I cannot be sure the travel bulletins ever worked in the last year since I bought the car. :eek:

In the beginning I assumed that no travel bulletins were being broadcast.
But now I am fairly sure they are.

Then I assumed that I had the radio set up incorrectly. But I think I have tried all options. :confused:

So the question is, does anybody have an audio 10 that interrupts your listening with a travel bulletin from a different radio station to what you are listening to?:dk:

Do I get a prize?

Well I thought it would be impossible to ask a question about a merc that nobody on this forum could answer. But it seems like I have done it!

Do I win a prize?;)

I have an Audio 30. I only get traffic bulletins on the station I am listening to. I'm the opposite to you ...I don't want them, ever. Can this function be cancelled?

I'm sorry, but i don't have the answer either. However, I would appreciate some assistance from you, if you would be so kind. I have recently fitted an Audio 10 radio cassette to my W201. I would dearly love to fit a CD changer, but even though I have have two Blaupunkt CD changers and one Alpine changer (Alpine & Becker head units and changers are apparently interchangeable), I cannot get either to work with the Audio 10. I'm sure it is simply a question of knowing which pins to connect via the ISO connector and CD changer lead. Would it be asking too much for you to take a look at the connection on your CD changer and let me know what type of plug/socket it has (i.e. how many pins). If you have any of the manuals, it may give details of the pin connections in there. The Becker Mexico Pro I have in in my other car lists all the connections in the instruction booklet.

Much appreciate any help you can give.

Many thanks

Steve

The Audio 30 and maybe the Audio 10 is linked to the cd changer by fibre optics. Your car is very likely not fitted with this.

...I don't want them, ever. Can this function be cancelled?

On the 10 you can toggle the traffic announcements by pressing and holding the mute button for a couple of seconds. Probably the same for the 30?

So the question is, does anybody have an audio 10 that interrupts your listening with a travel bulletin from a different radio station to what you are listening to?:dk:

No, it can only play traffic announcements from the station it is currently tuned to.

Mines used to change stations randomly when a update came on. Was so annoying as i had not long got the car and hadnt had the time to read through the manual lol. It was something to do with the mute button as suggested and i managed to turn it off.

It interupted cds aswell which was a bit of a pain.

Yes i can confirm audio 10 controls cd changer with fibre optic leads. you should be able to see the 2 holes on the back of unit where the plug would go. quite a long rectangular shaped slot. Doubt you will have the leads if it didnt have a changer as standard.

CplNooNoo is right. I was getting confused between TA and TP. If the radio has TP then it should interrupt with announcements from other radio stations, whereas TA is just the current station.

One of the identifiers is TA which means traffic announcement. This means that the station is playing a traffic announcement right now and so you should probably stop what you’re doing and listen to the radio. This basically only works if are tuned in at the moment that the station starts broadcasting the TA signal. But what if you want to listen to any traffic announcement not just one from the station that you were listening to before you put the CD player on?

Well in that case you need a different signal TP (Traffic Program – versus Traffic Announcement) this means that the station regularly has Traffic Announcements and so it’s worth paying attention to. Generally the way that most modern radios work is that they scan all of the radio stations once, and pay attention to any which have the TP signal. Then they scan just the ones which have TP, and watch for a TA appearing on any of them. And if one appears then they stop the CD or tape and play the appropriate radio station.
Coupled with repeating an earlier answer from kwakdonut which I'd missed, that was a pretty poor first post from me :wallbash:

Hi Everybody. Thanks for your replies. :)I haven't received any email notifiactions of your contributions for some reason:(. Going to wade through your responses now.

Well I thought it would be impossible to ask a question about a merc that nobody on this forum could answer. But it seems like I have done it!

Do I win a prize?;)
OK. It has been proved that I have not found a question that is unanswerable.

...connecting a cd changer to a header unit....

Steve, do you still want me to try to have a look at the changer connections, or are you now satisfied that you need optical connections?

I have done some further testing and have found:
1)Radio 2 does not show the TP symbol
2)Local BBC radio stations do show the TP symbol
3) If I leave the radio on a BBC local station before using the cassette or CD, then I will get interruptions from that local BBC station.

So that is some progress:), but it is still the only radio I have ever known that plays travel announcements from only one station. :confused:

Is ther eanother setting I need to adjust? Now I can't find the manual - I had it last week so it can't be far away:wallbash:

Audio 10 connections

Steve, do you still want me to try to have a look at the changer connections, or are you now satisfied that you need optical connections?

Yes please. Both Audio 10 radio/cassette and Blaupunkt A-O5 CD changer are older models (pre 1996) and I strongly suspect are pre-optical connection. Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated. Both are high quality units and it would be tragic to throw them way unnecessarily. Thank you.

I have done some further testing and have found:
1)Radio 2 does not show the TP symbol
2)Local BBC radio stations do show the TP symbol
3) If I leave the radio on a BBC local station before using the cassette or CD, then I will get interruptions from that local BBC station.

So that is some progress:), but it is still the only radio I have ever known that plays travel announcements from only one station. :confused:

Is ther eanother setting I need to adjust? Now I can't find the manual - I had it last week so it can't be far away:wallbash:

Yes there is a TP and a TA setting - one is Traffic Announcements and the other is Traffic Programme - and can be selected by holding different buttons. When i get home tonight i will scan in the page from my audio10 manual that explains the operation of these.

@Admins (or anyone else) - can i post up pictures of pages of the mb manual or is that copyright? If it is ill pm you them.

CplNooNoo
No need to scan the pages - I've found my book.

But I still can't see which part you are talking about. Can you direct me?

Yes please. Both Audio 10 radio/cassette and Blaupunkt A-O5 CD changer are older models (pre 1996) and I strongly suspect are pre-optical connection. Any help you can offer would be very much appreciated. Both are high quality units and it would be tragic to throw them way unnecessarily. Thank you.

Steve, I'll try to have a look at the weekend. I'm sorry that I won't have chance before then (and even that will be difficult because we have guests staying all weekend).

I'll report back here when I have had a look.

Should be on same page as the traffic announcements i think. ill check my book tonight for ye and see what i can find. i dont use my audio10 anymore as i have a kenwood double din fitted but i still have the book in the service pack (which is glovebox bound at the moment)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom