Auf wiedersehen German Car Companies: the Model Y has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yaaawwwnnnn. Tesla fan boi cretin....

Im tired of the Tesla echo chamber. These are just shouty individuals who 15 years ago would have said 'look at those AMG idiots, who wants a car that goes that fast and makes all that racket? There is just no point, my (insert boring car here) goes from a to b briskly with out all that noise and brash thuggishness. We would rather spend the time on holiday in Tuscany or Dordogne than in a car...' That or just spotty programmer urchins sat behind a computer screen in a pile of pizza boxes masturbating to Tomb Raider video games.

These are people that don't care about cars, that wet their pants every year when the new iPad/iPhone/latest tech rolls out. The exact type of people that bought all those shit cars of your childhood and you thought to yourself 'who buys these, are they mad?' Well, that's Tesla fans. The sorts of people that though a new Allegro was a good alternative choice....

Name me a car, synonymous around the world with sporting prowess, luxury, build quality and desirability...it sure as hell is not Tesla that springs to mind, not even in the top 20. I get the straight line speed, its fun. But it's a one trick pony. The best bit is that Tesla press office ACTIVELY tell reporters not to emphasise something that Harris does very cheekily in the below video.... 0-60 is around 4 seconds normally but that pathetic 'Ludicrous+ mode' rubbish only makes it possible for 2.4 seconds to 60 after preheating the battery, which can take up to 45 minutes depending on ambient temperature!!!!! It's all an outright deception, its not even real world usable fast!!! But mention this to a Tesla freak and they immediately decry it as being fake news from an ICE biased media.... perfectly demonstrating what frothing idiots these people are.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Its a boring car. For boring city folk who have no friends nothing to talk about. There are cars for half the money that provide more involvement and enjoyment as well as a good ownership experience. These are the people that would never set foot in a dealership anyway, they would take a friend to help them buy a car, hence why the business model appeals to them so much and they love to blog about it. But its free market economy so people can have their choice and their opinion. I'm just tired of these folk ramming it down everyones neck who happens to disagree with them.

Last edited:
Check out his yawn fest (incidentally, even though this is the Plaid evaluation car, the production GT63s its still quicker around Laguna Seca than it):

Whilst not the same circuit, another circuit on which the GT63s is also (currently) quicker around than the Plaid Model S:

Sorry, but I prefer the car that sounds like I just stepped into a phone box full of angry wasps, whilst covered in honey.

You lot are hilarious. They are actually very good cars to drive and in the right spec are stunning. As daily real life cars they work really well.

And some real petrol heads love them. I know a few people that have them and have a history of real petrol head icon cars.

Mate who for the past 10 years has daily driven Nissan GTRs (2010 & 2016 MYs) he's just bought a 3 long range to add to his wife's 2016 P90D, that she's had from new.

Yes he misses the visceral aspect of the GTR but he's reveling in the awesome stereo in the Tesla, excellent speed and handling and geeking out while it pretty much costs him nothing to drive.

My uncle also has a Tesla X P100D, this replaced his Range Rover (he's had Rollers, Porsches etc. First car I remember being in always his Porsche 912 on the 80s).. He's currently reveling in the fact his car has a bio defence mode as he seems a bit paranoid re the current COVID-19 situation.

Any re sound, fake or not this sounds interesting...

8982a240e1363ef4686894fa72f9bed4.jpg

Yaaawwwnnnn. Tesla fan boi cretin....

Name me a car, synonymous around the world with sporting prowess, luxury, build quality and desirability...it sure as hell is not Tesla that springs to mind, not even in the top 20. I get the straight line speed, its fun. But it's a one trick pony. The best bit is that Tesla press office ACTIVELY tell reporters not to emphasise something that Harris does very cheekily in the below video.... 0-60 is around 4 seconds normally but that pathetic 'Ludicrous+ mode' rubbish only makes it possible for 2.4 seconds to 60 after preheating the battery, which can take up to 45 minutes depending on ambient temperature!!!!! It's all an outright deception, its not even real world usable fast!!! But mention this to a Tesla freak and they immediately decry it as being fake news from an ICE biased media.... perfectly demonstrating what frothing idiots these people are.

Its a boring car. For boring city folk who have no friends nothing to talk about. There are cars for half the money that provide more involvement and enjoyment as well as a good ownership experience. These are the people that would never set foot in a dealership anyway, they would take a friend to help them buy a car, hence why the business model appeals to them so much and they love to blog about it. But its free market economy so people can have their choice and their opinion. I'm just tired of these folk ramming it down everyones neck who happens to disagree with them.

Yep and doing the fast 0-60s flattens the battery very quickly and also shortens it's overall life. I'm not a big fan & I find them ugly (look like any other wind tunnel designed car) however, electric is the future!.

Oh my that front end is ugly.

It shouldn’t have a “grille” space when it’s not required, it looks like a large piece of chrome trim has fallen off. Just dull looks - like a badly cribbed older Ford Focus. Ugly wheels - esp as they rob you of 35miles range.

They need better/braver designers

0-60 is around 4 seconds normally but that pathetic 'Ludicrous+ mode' rubbish only makes it possible for 2.4 seconds to 60 after preheating the battery, which can take up to 45 minutes depending on ambient temperature!!!!! It's all an outright deception, its not even real world usable fast!!!
Is having to wait for the battery to pre-heat before accelerating as hard as possible in a Tesla, not the same as having to wait for the engine and transmission to reach normal operating temperature in an AMG?

Yep and doing the fast 0-60s flattens the battery very quickly and also shortens it's overall life. I'm not a big fan & I find them ugly (look like any other wind tunnel designed car) however, electric is the future!.
Is flattening the battery very quickly (and therefore reducing range) when doing fast 0-60 runs in a Tesla, not the same as emptying the tank (and therefore reducing range) very quickly in an AMG?

That red one in Lennox's post looks good to me, and judging from Chris Harris's commentary, they're perfectly OK on the road, if a bit sick-making on a bumpy road, but you can always slow down a bit. The interior is dull, or futuristic, depending on your viewpoint, and a bit cheap, but the performance is incredible even without pre-heating or pre-cooling the battery.

£150k? Don't be silly. At that price, a Tesla needs to be as good as or better than whatever else you can buy for the money, and apart from the acceleration, so far as I can see it's just not. It's cheap to run, but if you can afford that much for a car, you don't worry about fuel costs. Let me know when they get down to sensible prices for a used one, and I'll give one a try.

The mainstream manufacturers know how to make cars that handle and ride well, with high-quality interiors, and once they really get into their stride with battery technology, I think they'll slaughter Tesla.

Of course the early adopters think their cars are wonderful; if you've spent that much money on a car, you're not going to say: "Meh, it's all right, but nothing special" when asked what it's like, are you? In the £150k car world, it is a one-trick pony, and that trick is acceleration. I'm sure they do work really well as daily real-life cars, but so does a Ford Focus...

Last edited:
Is having to wait for the battery to pre-heat before accelerating as hard as possible in a Tesla, not the same as having to wait for the engine and transmission to reach normal operating temperature in an AMG?

No, because once the AMG is up to temperature it stays there. Moot point, anyway, because the Tesla is very fast-accelerating even in normal mode.

Is flattening the battery very quickly (and therefore reducing range) when doing fast 0-60 runs in a Tesla, not the same as emptying the tank (and therefore reducing range) very quickly in an AMG?

No, because you can fill the AMG up very quickly at any petrol station and full performance is immediately available again.

No, because once the AMG is up to temperature it stays there. Moot point, anyway, because the Tesla is very fast-accelerating even in normal mode.

No, because you can fill the AMG up very quickly at any petrol station and full performance is immediately available again.
Isn’t that a theoretical argument though? How many times have you accelerated so hard, from standstill, so many times, that it would be fully deplete the battery of a Tesla?

Even without ludicrous mode, the fastest Teslas are still faster at consistently accelerating 0-60 than all but the fastest AMGs.

Not quite- as the fuel tank will always have the same capacity :)

Isn’t that a theoretical argument though? How many times have you accelerated so hard, from standstill, so many times, that it would be fully deplete the battery of a Tesla?

Even without ludicrous mode, the fastest Teslas are still faster at consistently accelerating 0-60 than all but the fastest AMGs.
And they are, mid range is nuts. Top end they die but by then your licence is gone.

Real life these are awesome cars as I say. Kind of wished I had got that 3 Performance now.

The real downside to EVs is that they are currently expensive, lots of us run nice “luxury” cars at 10yrs old or more because they are cheap, and still reliable. My 19yr old CL500 is gorgeous, comfy, beautifully appointed and built, and hasn’t really ever let me down as a daily driver since I got it in 2015.

Will a “luxury” Tesla be as reliable at 19yrs old, will it’s interior still be rattle free, will it’s batteries have the same performance, and likely to continue to perform as well for the next 20years ?

The real downside to EVs is that they are currently expensive, lots of us run nice “luxury” cars at 10yrs old or more because they are cheap, and still reliable. My 19yr old CL500 is gorgeous, comfy, beautifully appointed and built, and hasn’t really ever let me down as a daily driver since I got it in 2015.

Will a “luxury” Tesla be as reliable at 19yrs old, will it’s interior still be rattle free, will it’s batteries have the same performance, and likely to continue to perform as well for the next 20years ?
No, No and errr ...No are the more likely answers to your 3 questions. But you knew that . :thumb:

Maybe. Maybe not. But I can guarantee that a post 1999 German car won't be.

You lot are hilarious. They are actually very good cars to drive and in the right spec are stunning. As daily real life cars they work really well.

And some real petrol heads love them. I know a few people that have them and have a history of real petrol head icon cars.

Mate who for the past 10 years has daily driven Nissan GTRs (2010 & 2016 MYs) he's just bought a 3 long range to add to his wife's 2016 P90D, that she's had from new.

Yes he misses the visceral aspect of the GTR but he's reveling in the awesome stereo in the Tesla, excellent speed and handling and geeking out while it pretty much costs him nothing to drive.

My uncle also has a Tesla X P100D, this replaced his Range Rover (he's had Rollers, Porsches etc. First car I remember being in always his Porsche 912 on the 80s).. He's currently reveling in the fact his car has a bio defence mode as he seems a bit paranoid re the current COVID-19 situation.

I am intrigued by the first few minutes . When Archie is doing his piece to camera it looks like his A45 is floating on a lake. Every time he moves his head the car rocks from side to side ? I have never sat in an A45 but I can imagine its suspension is at least as firm as in my C55. Or is it a trick of the camera ? Or is it just me...again.

I’m not sure you can truly say it costs nothing pretty nothing to drive until you flog it a few years down the line and realise just how much you’ve lost in depreciation. Many people forget that is the biggest cost of running a car....unless you can afford to right off the initial purchase cost.

Who here has actually driven a Tesla for any meaningful distance?

I have and i found the S P90 completing lacking in any sense of engagement. Dull handling, indifferent brakes and, as others have posted, full of rattles and squeaks at 50k miles.

Not quite- as the fuel tank will always have the same capacity :)
I’m not sure you can truly say it costs nothing pretty nothing to drive until you flog it a few years down the line and realise just how much you’ve lost in depreciation. Many people forget that is the biggest cost of running a car....unless you can afford to right off the initial purchase cost.
Depreciation affects all cars though, and more expensive cars depreciate more heavily in absolute terms (and often in percentage terms too). Would a Mercedes with similar list price fare any better?

Depreciation affects all cars though, and more expensive cars depreciate more heavily in absolute terms (and often in percentage terms too). Would a Mercedes with similar list price fare any better?
Nope. Her Tesla is now 4 years old was circa £75k and is now worth circa £45-50k. Thats impressive. At similarly priced E63 is now worth circa £30k. And I'm going to ignore the thousands spent on fuel, servicing, brakes etc.... Oh and the 0% finance deal from the government.

Round one to the Tesla. (though an E63 noise would be nice she would hate them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom