Auf wiedersehen German Car Companies: the Model Y has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tesla, as we know it, will not exist in a decade. They are setting the infrastructure up but as soon as the mass market manufacturers get properly on board, Tesla will be irrelevant in the car manufacturing space. BUT I believe they have a bright future as battery and infrastructure/ technology providers. That’s their USP. Anyone can build a fast battery car once the tech exists. And companies like merc will always be able to build something more desirable and luxurious than Tesla. The bit that merc and the like don’t have is the proprietory tech Like Tesla. So my guess is that Tesla will provide the tech that will be used by the big car manufacturers. Rather like ZF gearboxes across cars. Reckoned to be amongst the best and bought in and fitted to loads of cars. Car manufacturers aren’t really interested in being battery tech pioneers. They will be quite happy to buy in from Tesla when the time is right.

That’s my prediction!

Will a “luxury” Tesla be as reliable at 19yrs old, will it’s interior still be rattle free, will it’s batteries have the same performance, and likely to continue to perform as well for the next 20years ?

It will be the electronics that kill these EVs off as they get older - all those control boxes/microcomputers/screens/networks/etc. exposed to road vibration, moisture and extremes of temperature on a regular basis. Very unlikely that replacement stock will be maintained for every model (will Tesla even still exist?), and they're typically not 'fixable' in the same way that mechanical parts are. But having said that ... modern IC cars won't be much better, particularly the Euro IV -> diesels which are crammed to the gills with sensors etc. that all have the potential to put you into limp mode at the drop of a hat!

Depreciation affects all cars though, and more expensive cars depreciate more heavily in absolute terms (and often in percentage terms too). Would a Mercedes with similar list price fare any better?

No - but i wouldn't claim minimal running costs for a S Class (or whatever you want to substitute)

Nope. Her Tesla is now 4 years old was circa £75k and is now worth circa £45-50k. Thats impressive. At similarly priced E63 is now worth circa £30k. And I'm going to ignore the thousands spent on fuel, servicing, brakes etc.... Oh and the 0% finance deal from the government.

Round one to the Tesla. (though an E63 noise would be nice she would hate them).

Autotrader suggests a 4 yr old S with 50k miles is £30-35k retail. I’d be impressed if she got anyway where near £50k...especially when you can buy (nearly) new 3 for less than £45k

Is flattening the battery very quickly (and therefore reducing range) when doing fast 0-60 runs in a Tesla, not the same as emptying the tank (and therefore reducing range) very quickly in an AMG?

No real range issues in a ICE.

Tesla Model 3 Performance real-world review. Is this the game-changing electric car?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Model Y ?

Even the name is just pants .

Somebody should stick a pair of Y fronts onto that vacant area on the front of it .

The Y front is as bad as the Ford Edsel .

It will be the electronics that kill these EVs off as they get older - all those control boxes/microcomputers/screens/networks/etc. exposed to road vibration, moisture and extremes of temperature on a regular basis. Very unlikely that replacement stock will be maintained for every model (will Tesla even still exist?), and they're typically not 'fixable' in the same way that mechanical parts are. But having said that ... modern IC cars won't be much better, particularly the Euro IV -> diesels which are crammed to the gills with sensors etc. that all have the potential to put you into limp mode at the drop of a hat!
That is what is killing off a lot of good machines in the workplace. I have lost count of perfectly good machines I have seen scrapped or put out of commission because of lack of spare parts for the 'brain' of the machine I/O cards and backboards no longer manufactured etc, so owners trawl eBay etc to buy ex stock, Manufactures no longer supporting the software etc etc. Identical to what happens with our PC/Laptops , mobile phones and now cars. Just on a bigger scale.

That is what is killing off a lot of good machines in the workplace. I have lost count of perfectly good machines I have seen scrapped or put out of commission because of lack of spare parts for the 'brain' of the machine I/O cards and backboards no longer manufactured etc, so owners trawl eBay etc to buy ex stock, Manufactures no longer supporting the software etc etc. Identical to what happens with our PC/Laptops , mobile phones and now cars. Just on a bigger scale.

Yup it's everywhere now :(

9.07 onwards to skip the rubbish,HAHAHA sounds nothing like a ICE FCKNPMSL

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If he wanted car to sound like a car he should have bought a car, not a Milk float.

Nope. Her Tesla is now 4 years old was circa £75k and is now worth circa £45-50k. Thats impressive. At similarly priced E63 is now worth circa £30k. And I'm going to ignore the thousands spent on fuel, servicing, brakes etc.... Oh and the 0% finance deal from the government.

Round one to the Tesla. (though an E63 noise would be nice she would hate them).

New & Used Electric Cars | Tesla

Not true on the resale. They are artificially kept high by Tesla MGFV being subsidised by Tesla's debt pile. Despite huge profits margins, Tesla still looses $1.5million per day after all its bills and interest is paid.

Another reason Tesla is not to be trusted, they have been doing this on their used cars too:

Tesla Remotely Removes Autopilot Features From Customer's Used Tesla Without Any Notice [Updated]

FairPlay to them, obviously gouging customers twice is good for the bottom line but you won't win trust and new business that way, and it flies in the face of what Teslarati say about 'future proofing' cars and how good the service is.

My uncle also has a Tesla X P100D, this replaced his Range Rover (he's had Rollers, Porsches etc. First car I remember being in always his Porsche 912 on the 80s).. He's currently reveling in the fact his car has a bio defence mode as he seems a bit paranoid re the current COVID-19 situation.

How I would love to see Tesla morons use that function in Sarin gas attack.....

Tesla is a tech marketing company, so all of this is marketing bollocks and click bait designed to appeal to techy morons. The patent lists it as 'Carbon filtration media to exceed HEPA standard (my 2006 W203 has this, extra smell filter in the passenger footwell) and air purification by Ionisation' So it's the air balance package thats been in the S class since 2012, minus the perfume.

Auto Pilot.... Based around the system developed by Mercedes in 1996 for the S Class, the Model S even uses Mercedes switchgear and radar electronics, but somehow Tesla invented self driving 'technology'?

Full Self Driving Computer is a bit like McDonald's 100% Pure Beef Burger in the 80's.... The fact that the company that made the burger was so named lead people to believe that was what they were getting until the law stepped in and stopped it. Tesla can call it what they want but its not bio defence capable, and not self driving and doesn't have a *legally* usable Autopilot.

Any re sound, fake or not this sounds interesting...

If people can waste that much time, effort and energy coming up with shit like that then the world is already too far screwed to survive. Why? Y Indeed? As much use a spinners on a car.

No real range issues in a ICE.
Performing repeated 0-60 runs in a very high performance ICE car has the same effect on range as doing it in a Tesla.

Range isn’t an issue in an ICE car when driving sedately, and the range in a Tesla is similarly sufficient when driven sedately.

Expecting a car to be the very best at everything is expecting too much. Extreme performance in one aspect will lead to a compromise elsewhere.

There's a tendency on the forum to call those who you disapprove of morons.

It's not cool.

Is having to wait for the battery to pre-heat before accelerating as hard as possible in a Tesla, not the same as having to wait for the engine and transmission to reach normal operating temperature in an AMG?

It doesn't take up to 45 minutes to get the car warm. But the point is that Tesla and all the marketing sell this as instantaneous, which is misleading. And it's only the P100D+ that does this, not any of the other Model S cars in the current line up. Nobody ever actually makes that clear in these videos, and that the car is £135k, so it's not an 'everyday everyman' car.

Isn’t that a theoretical argument though? How many times have you accelerated so hard, from standstill, so many times, that it would be fully deplete the battery of a Tesla?

Even without ludicrous mode, the fastest Teslas are still faster at consistently accelerating 0-60 than all but the fastest AMGs.

4.0 seconds for a P90D non Ludicrous but only since 2016. But they are not even consistent. Have a look at some of the latest videos in comparison with Taycan. That car is consistent.

Tesla 0-60 Times | Tesla Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Roaster

There's a tendency on the forum to call those who you disapprove of morons.

It's not cool.
This is (for now) a reasoned debate, with people who want to debate it. Those that get offended and want to retreat to the safe space when someone presents them with facts that they can't/won't accept are the ones I refer to as such. There is no helping them. You should see the abuse I have had on Facebook when calmly presenting facts to the Tesla Echo chamber.

It doesn't take up to 45 minutes to get the car warm. But the point is that Tesla and all the marketing sell this as instantaneous, which is misleading. And it's only the P100D+ that does this, not any of the other Model S cars in the current line up. Nobody ever actually makes that clear in these videos, and that the car is £135k, so it's not an 'everyday everyman' car.

4.0 seconds for a P90D non Ludicrous but only since 2016. But they are not even consistent. Have a look at some of the latest videos in comparison with Taycan. That car is consistent.

Tesla 0-60 Times | Tesla Model 3, Model S, Model X, and Roaster
Less consistent than an ICE car?

I’m not Tesla’s target customer, but if I was in the market for an all-electric high performance car then I would go for a Taycan.

Autotrader suggests a 4 yr old S with 50k miles is £30-35k retail. I’d be impressed if she got anyway where near £50k...especially when you can buy (nearly) new 3 for less than £45k
Not a P90D. Compare Apples with Apples.

And again to compare specs a three with her spec woukd be closer to £65k. There's a nearly new one on their site for £62k but it's missing spec she's had fir years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom