Auf wiedersehen German Car Companies: the Model Y has arrived

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Oh dear, this is turning into another willy waving “i have more than you so I'm alright” thread...

So if we beed more, to power EVs, we need to buy more, increasing our reliance on overseas “friends”.

Look at how quickly countries have closed their borders and ask yourself if they would still want to flog their wares to us when they are running short.
Thank goodness we are self sufficient in oil for our none ev cars otherwise we would have to buy it from some very dodgy regimes.

Doess anyone know how many of the newer, smaller “green” energy companies have gone bust over the last 3 years or so because their model was flawed and they couldn't cope with the demands?

Personally, I am not convinced these firms are as green as they claim - they obfuscate their credentials through financial chancery on the carbon trading markets. I happy to see evidence to correct me.

Thank goodness we are self sufficient in oil for our none ev cars otherwise we would have to buy it from some very dodgy regimes.

I’m not saying ICE is perfect or that we are self-sustainable - merely that EVs are not the silver bullet some think, because we are not self sufficient in generating electricity.

No one claimed EVs are perfect. They're less flawed.

And when it comes to green EV companies, plenty of them still out there, some with 1MM+ customers. The two I listed are considered the most popular. They have the means to fuel demand towards additional renewable energy investment if the customer demand is there. And that's regardless of anyone's conspiracy theories.

Last edited:
No one claimed EVs are perfect. They're less flawed.

And when it comes to green EV companies, plenty of them still out there, some with 1MM+ customers. They have the means to fuel demand towards additional renewable energy investment if the customer demand is there. And that's regardless of anyone's conspiracy theories.

And plenty that have gone bust, that the consumer has to subsidise the refunds for.

I'll first start by sharing a few numbers in response and then I'll respond to your accusation of liberal elitism:

I paid just over £6K for the LG / Solaredge system in 2019. 25 year warranty on everything. No batteries. Payback period without using an EV is 8-10 years for our house in Zone 2 London (is that city enough for you?). The system generates more than enough for our daily needs, so we sell excess back to the grid.
Have you looked into an air/ground source heat pump?

That was the first version though, I remember version 2, it had a flag on a long pole fixed on the back to stop you being rear ended and squashed into pulp.

It was a shame the long pole did not have a sparkler attached to the top to make it look like a proper dodgem car!

Can't believe the value proposition on display. 315+ miles of range. 0-60 in <5 seconds. USD ~$50K. Tons of space and looks great too!

Seems certain that this Tesla is going to bite a giant chunk out of the largest part of the automotive market that Deutschland cares most about. Will take a couple years before doing that in the UK/ EU though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Absolutely soulless. If this is the future then come get me Covid-19!!!

What about the Porsche Taycan? Looks an awesome vehicle. Quite dear i suppose 80 odd grand for poverty spec up to 130 odd grand for the Turbo S (turbo, lol).
Saying that, I know someone who’s recently spent £105,000 on a Tesla. Been back to them three times actually for warranty work. Came back with a scratch down the door on the 2nd time, so back it went. All the other times they picked it up and delivered it back on a trailer, but the last time they drove it back and left him with only a few miles of range! I would defo be trying to make the figures stack up on the porker rather than a Tesla, but then I do have a soft spot for Porsche’s. Tesla’s are all very good and that but soooooo dull. A bit like the last fridge we bought. All very efficient and ‘techy’ but still just a household appliance. Although the fridge is a bit nicer to look at than Tesla’s.

Time to charge up your EV for the good of the country...

Time to charge up your EV for the good of the country...

The majority of public charging points where i live are in car parks. These car parks have been shut/ cordoned off for the past month so that must be causing problems for the electric car brigade.

Our Lidl has 2 charge points and (on some days) very long covid queues to get in, so plenty time to charge your EV. But I guess EV drivers are using their battery mobiles less, just as everyone with a real car is.

Saw that, He is getting a bit like Trump !
Musk had better watch out or they will ban him like they have banned David Icke.

Free speech not allowed at the moment apparently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom