Austria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
I have just returned from a road trip to Austria where I went up the Grossglockner high alpine road and returned through the Felbertauer(?) tunnel.
We also diverted to see the Pasterze Glacier. Weather was not perfect but improved throughout the day.

This was pretty spectacular, better than Norway with the road at around 2,500m and the Grossglockner mountain at around 3,800m. The southern approach to the Felbertauer tunnel had been blocked after a huge rockslide and we had to detour along some small roads with an unbelieveably steep ascent to the tunnel entrance via a temporary road.

The Mrs was so scared, I had to stop halfway up the mountain to retrieve some strong alcohol based products from the boot but she later admitted the views were unbelieveable.

IF YOU ARE IN THE CENTRE OF AUSTRIA THEN YOU MUST DRIVE THIS ROAD

The southern approach to the Felbertauer tunnel had been blocked after a huge rockslide and we had to detour along some small roads with an unbelieveably steep ascent to the tunnel entrance via a temporary road.
Came through that tunnel just over 4 weeks ago on a motorcycle trip to Croatia. The rockslide was pretty spectacular, wasn't it? Also, that steep twisty ascent (or descent in the direction I rode it!) was built from scratch in a matter of weeks. Very impressive...

Iphone cable AWOL after floor replaced in apartment. whole apartment in boxes. pics later but it was very cloudy at 2,500m up the grossglockner in the morning. pasterze glacier pics later.
the felbertauer temporary road was built very quickly as said and is impossibly steep.

Came through that tunnel just over 4 weeks ago on a motorcycle trip to Croatia. The rockslide was pretty spectacular, wasn't it? Also, that steep twisty ascent (or descent in the direction I rode it!) was built from scratch in a matter of weeks. Very impressive...

Yeah, those big rocks completely trashed concrete galleries with metre? thick concrete. To be fair the temporary road isn't all new, just the steep bit up to the tunnel entrance.

Another just to show the depth of the snow cutting I some parts. And a numpty up there on his bike.:wallbash:

Another just to show the depth of the snow cutting I some parts. And a numpty up there on his bike.:wallbash:

Last time we were there in the summer met a group of numpties coming down (at great speed) on oversized rollerblades!

All had helmets & full body armour, but along with the bonkers Italian bikers clearly life was not short enough.

Yeah, those big rocks completely trashed concrete galleries with metre? thick concrete.
Here's a link to a site with a few photos of the damage. Would have come as a bit of a shock if you were driving in the tunnel when it happened :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom