Auto box playing up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkC250

Car
1999 C250TD Sport Estate
Hi All
I reset my auto box yesterday and today it's playing about,
It sometimes goes to change up a gear but it's like it's hit the rev limiter (but revs are about 3k) and sort of surges up and down for a second or 2 then changes, so far it's done this in 1st, 2nd and 3rd but a differant times,
other than this it's holdig on to the gears much bettor as it used to go up through the box very quickly unless you had your foot right down.

Any ideas guy's or is this normal after reseting ?

Sorry should have said it's a 1999 C250td sport.

Last edited:
is it a manual?

my car had the turbo replaced under warranty... it would only ever sometimes (intermittent fault) jerk as if trying to find the next gear. then a couple of seconds later would be fine again.

Hi

It may be that it is just taken time to adapt to the condition of your gearbox - I assume resetting it gives it default value based on a new gearbox - normally it will adjust itself as the clutches, bands etc wear. By resetting it my have to relearn this. I would keep driving it and see if it improves, hopefully it will settle down after a sufficient changes.

Has the fluid been changed? Is the level good?

Hi

It may be that it is just taken time to adapt to the condition of your gearbox - I assume resetting it gives it default value based on a new gearbox - normally it will adjust itself as the clutches, bands etc wear. By resetting it my have to relearn this. I would keep driving it and see if it improves, hopefully it will settle down after a sufficient changes.

Lets hope so.

Has the fluid been changed? Is the level good?

I have no record of the oil being changed as the service history is sketchy to say the least.
It's on my to do list though as it's done 145k and I suspect it hasn't been done.
went to check the oil level tonight but there's no dopstick on this model,
I have read somewhere about makeing one but can't find it now.

The car has done 285m sence reseting the box and has now stopped playing about.
I'll still do an oil and filter change but it'll have to waite until I get the time/money.

Picked up my new key today :)
and changed the headlight lenses ready for the MOT,
will be sevicing it tomorrow now I've found out how to reset the service indicator (took some time searching but found it in the end).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom