Auto box reset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkC250

Car
1999 C250TD Sport Estate
Hi All
I've not been on for a while as the cars been running well and I haven't needed any advice.

I'm about to change the auto box oil (following the how to on here) and need to know how to reset it afterwards,
I don't have a handbook so need your help on this.
The car is a 1999 C250TD Sport with the later switcherble summer/winter box.
Thanks in advance.
Mark

It can only be done on a Star but it is not essential.

To reset the auto box learning memory you switch to position-2 with the throttle on the floor for some time then release the throttle and turn to position-0 but leave the key in and use no electrics for >2minutes.

But this is not the reset after oil change, in that Olly most probably right.

To reset the auto box learning memory you switch to position-2 with the throttle on the floor for some time then release the throttle and turn to position-0 but leave the key in and use no electrics for >2minutes.

But this is not the reset after oil change, in that Olly most probably right.

That's the one I was thinking of, I thought it would be the same one.

So as I don't have access to a star does it really need to be done?

Will it do any harm if I just reset the learning memory ?

Sorry Olly :eek:

The 'learning' function of the gearbox is an ongoing process. If you drive it like a nun it will change up early with nice soft changes. If you then drive it like you stole it it will assume there is a new owner who likes to put his foot down and will hold on to the gears longer and give harder shifts.

The foot to floor in position 2 thing does not reset anything. It just fools the car into thinking you've stolen it and so the autobox adapts to that.

The same affect can be achieved by a standing start foot to the floor for as long as you dare. More fun too.

The foot to floor in position 2 thing does not reset anything. It just fools the car into thinking you've stolen it and so the autobox adapts to that.

But the engines not on, surprised it does anything, how does anyone know it actually does something is this an actual MB procedure listed in their WIS?

To the OP plenty of independant garages in London with STAR you can have it reset at if you wanted it done.

Last edited:
The throttle is drive-by-wire. The ignition being "on" means that the signal is generated and recorded, but obviously doesn't result in forward motion.

It doesn't work on cars which pre-date drive-by-wire.

Try gunning it from standstill and you will get the same effect.

Although I could swear that the 'push pedal down and hold with key at 2' works, guys who know have checked and confirmed that it doesn't actually do anything.
You need a star if you want to reset the parameters.

Well the peddle down rest worked when I did it,
before it would be in 5th at 30 and wouldn't kick down untill you gave it a boot full,
about after it changed as I would expect,
so I think it works.

I'm doing the oil change right now, just piped in to check the "how to" on how many L of oil to add before emptying the TC.

The same affect can be achieved by a standing start foot to the floor for as long as you dare. More fun too.

Yes it is more fun but not one for townies.

You will easily achieve multiples of the local speed limit so perhaps not one to do at the school's zebra crossing.

Well the peddle down rest worked when I did it,
before it would be in 5th at 30 and wouldn't kick down untill you gave it a boot full,
about after it changed as I would expect,
so I think it works.

I'm doing the oil change right now, just piped in to check the "how to" on how many L of oil to add before emptying the TC.

Yes it does work but it is not the gearbox oil and service reset.

There are two things happening with that overtake at 30, the adaptive gearbox and the lock-up top. It should try to stay in top. Plus I do not have a problem with an overtake at 30 in top, it depends on how fast you want to go. It should kick down before it gets to the floor but sometimes top is good enough. Flooring it is a bit OMG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom