Auto close Tailgate Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teflonso

Car
E350 Estate (W212 Facelift)
Got a knock on the door at well past midnight last night. It's a neighbour to tell me my E-Class tailgate is open. This is the third time it's happened, although the first time I've had to get out of bed.

I love the tailgate, but the problem is the key fob. Put it in the pocket of a pair of jeans and it presses the button for long enough to open the back of the car. If you accidentally unlock the car it will automatically re-lock. But do the same with the tailgate and it stays open. :wallbash:

So here's the question .............. can I get the electronics modded so it takes a verrrryy long press on the button to open up? Or can it be set up to auto close?

Have you tried leather fob covers? They might just protect the button enough…..

Otherwise, it might be possible to get someone handy with electronics to disable that one button on the key fob - that way you can still lock and unlock the car, but will need to use the button on the tailgate to open it. Nuisance, but maybe a solution.

Cheapest option might be to get a clip and hang the key from your belt.

Last edited:
Maybe wear not so tight jeans? :D

Tight Jeans can be worth occasionally unlocking the car…..

Women+Wearing+Tight+Jeans+1.jpg

Tight Jeans can be worth occasionally unlocking the car…..

Women+Wearing+Tight+Jeans+1.jpg

I was wondering where the key is, no evidence in her pockets.......I am assuming it is a woman, otherwise I am far older than I thought :crazy:

Aha...of course...handbag! :eek:

I've seen this asked quite a few times, both on estate doors, and on saloon boots, but I've never seen a proper solution (other than take more care of the key). Remote opening (and auto locking) of boots has always seemed a ridiculous idea to me.

There's some suggestion that if the boot is locked with a key then it won't open although it's alleged that the latest estate doors don't have key hole and anyway it would turn opening the rear door into a massive faff.

It seems incredible to me that this can't be coded out in Star, although even if it can, a dealer probably wouldn't know how to do it.

Remote opening (and auto locking) of boots has always seemed a ridiculous idea to me.

It will not seem ridiculous if ever your struck down with a debilitating disease (heaven forbid) that makes reaching and pulling down a heavy trunk/hatch lid impossible.

It will not seem ridiculous if ever your struck down with a debilitating disease (heaven forbid) that makes reaching and pulling down a heavy trunk/hatch lid impossible.

That's not the same thing at all. The issue is with remote release, not electric closing.

Did the O/p say they had one of these?

I find it amazing that every thread can be sidetracked into a wild, hypothetical argument.

Did the O/p say they had one of these?

I find it amazing that every thread can be sidetracked into a wild, hypothetical argument.

Well as I read his opening lines, yes.....his neighbour found the trunk unlocked, so unless the neighbour goes a round trying the "seemingly closed" unlocked cars in the street I assume the OP had unlocked the rear hatch accidentally and it had opened.........and what the hell is hypothetical about stating a reason to have a remote opening hatch?

I find it amazing that every thread can be sidetracked also.......DM

That's not the same thing at all. The issue is with remote release, not electric closing.

If you have remote opening, you have remote closing.......never one without the other AFAIK.

and what the hell is hypothetical about stating a reason to have a remote opening hatch?

The O/p didn't say why he has the remote opening tailgate, lots of people do.

Why did you attempt to say it was due to some disability?

Not having tried, but can you deadlock the tailgate so the the remote won't work?

Obvious alternative is to get a key ring that can clip to your belt hoops when you wear jeans...

If you have remote opening, you have remote closing.......never one without the other AFAIK.

I'm not aware there's any such thing as a remote closing rear door / boot.

I'm not aware there's any such thing as a remote closing rear door / boot.

Remote opening is fairly common. There has also been the option of remote closing for many years. Personally, I wish mine had the closing as well as the opening as someone with musculoskeletal problems. But this isn't solving the OP's "problem" of forgetting to place his keys in a safe place as I don't think retro-fitting a remote close would be cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom