Auto dimming door mirrors, 1 or 2?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
My W203 320 has the usual automatic dipping interior mirror and I am sure the drivers door mirror does as well because at night both show the lights of following cars as having a slightly blue tint and at reduced intensity.

The passenger door mirror shows a normal bright and white tinted light.

I assume both door mirrors should auto dip and therefore the passenger side is: A: faulty and B: expensive to replace? Of course it could be C: the drivers door mirror just has a different tint!:dk:

Only the drivers door mirror has auto dimming. Our CLK< SLK and 124 are like this so presumably all models are the same. Not sure why but someone will probably be able to explain it.

My 210 and 211 are the same :)
... sure the manual refered to this...

I have found a cheap supplier of these auto dimming door mirrors, is it a simple retro fit to add one to the passenger side?

I believe only the drivers mirror is dimming to prevent glare from cars that overtake you, and in Europe obviously it is the opposite side. Now, I don't know if there is any electrical system that controls the dimming or if it is just the way the glass is made, so to fit a dimming glass to the passenger side could just be a simple swapping of the glass :confused:

You may find it is not so easy.
There is an electrical connector to the mirror and it is not the same for the auto-dimming mirror as it is for the ordinary mirror.
Does your mirror have an electrical heater for de-frosting / de-misting ?
If you do not connect the electrical connector, this will no longer work.

I had this problem with my W210 E300TD.
Driver's side ADM went all misty.
Picked up another mirror with heater but not AD.
Connector was not compatible.
Result ... I had a mirror which was neither AD nor electrically-heated.

Bother !!
:(

My mirrors are heated, I have found a new auto dimming passenger side mirror for just over £70!

Any ideas as to how one could connect it? I imagine it just needs a power supply and earth as the sensor must be in the glass somewhere?

the electrical connectors can be very different.

for example, if your car has memory seats, the connectors are different to cars wihout memory seats

the electrical connectors can be very different.

for example, if your car has memory seats, the connectors are different to cars wihout memory seats

Well yes of course I appreciate that but the question is one of specifics rather than supposiiton. Clearly they can be wired in, what I am trying to find out is how and how extensive a job it would be i.e. would I need an auto-electrician?:thumb:

The power supply to the heater will already be there in the connector in the mirror enclosure.
Careful taking apart of the wiring to the existing mirror glass will probably reveal which are the wires to the heater.
Regarding the supply to the AD facility ...
This may just be +12volts and earth, but you cannot assume that.
It may be a regulated supply.
Hopefully someone will come along who knows for-sure.
Sorry I can't be more help.

The power supply to the heater will already be there in the connector in the mirror enclosure.
Careful taking apart of the wiring to the existing mirror glass will probably reveal which are the wires to the heater.
Regarding the supply to the AD facility ...
This may just be +12volts and earth, but you cannot assume that.
It may be a regulated supply.
Hopefully someone will come along who knows for-sure.
Sorry I can't be more help.

My theory of a positive and negative supply being required was based on previous experience of fitting an Auto dimming mirror to a Saab 9-5 as that was all it needed. I expect Mercedes are a little more complicated!:dk:

I think a positive and negative is all it needs. Same principle as fitting an auto dimming interior mirror. We did this on our 124 using a feed from the lighter thing so that only live when the ignition is on. Would be fiddly to feed to the door mirror but no reason why it could not be done.

I think a positive and negative is all it needs. Same principle as fitting an auto dimming interior mirror. We did this on our 124 using a feed from the lighter thing so that only live when the ignition is on. Would be fiddly to feed to the door mirror but no reason why it could not be done.
Thank you, Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the mirrors?:)

A little more info please.

The door mirrors have two connectors for heating the mirror. This function automatic and controlled by the front temperature sensor? Or is there another thermostat?

Do the dimming door mirrors have extra connectors for the dimming function? - more than 2 pins?

The dimming sensor is a visible circle in the interior mirror. Does this control the door mirror dimming?

Does the door connector socket have the dimming wiring in place in the passenger door?

The passenger and drive mirrors have different field of view (focus). Is a 'plain' dimming mirror available for the passenger side or is it a Euro LHD drivers mirror with the split focus?

Thoughts rather than answers ...

The door mirrors have two connectors for heating the mirror. This function automatic and controlled by the front temperature sensor? Or is there another thermostat?
The mirror heaters only appear to come on for a short time after starting the car.
Possibly a thermostat ... or, more likely, a timer.

Do the dimming door mirrors have extra connectors for the dimming function? - more than 2 pins? Yes ... The connectopr is different with more pins

The dimming sensor is a visible circle in the interior mirror. Does this control the door mirror dimming? I don't see any sensor on the door mirrors (and I would expect to), so I would guess - YES

Does the door connector socket have the dimming wiring in place in the passenger door? Don't know ... I often wondered if the wiring loom in the door offered the possibility of fitting a dimming miror.

The passenger and drive mirrors have different field of view (focus). Is a 'plain' dimming mirror available for the passenger side or is it a Euro LHD drivers mirror with the split focus? Don't know.

These are only "Best Guesses", where indicated.
Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom