Auto dipping mirrors on a W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddcomp

Car
E320CDI Avantgarde Estate S211
I have a W203 Avantgarde SE 2006 model, which I'm sure comes with auto dipping rear view and drivers door mirrors. The rear view mirror has a sensor in the bottom middle of the glass, so all seems well?

How do I test it to see if it works? I've tried shining my Ultra LED torch in to the sensor, with both the engine running, lights on and off, in drive and park. Not tried it in motion, but I would expect it to work at standstill.

Any ideas to satisfy me that it working correctly?:cool:

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, I tried a search but didn't get the answer I was looking for.

TIA

You need to cover the sensor on the front of the mirror housing (that faces toward the front of the car)

Its the difference in light intensity falling on these two sensors that triggers the level of diming.

You need to cover the sensor on the front of the mirror housing (that faces toward the front of the car)

Its the difference in light intensity falling on these two sensors that triggers the level of diming.

Thanks for the above. I've now tested this and there appears to be no effect. Could someone confirm what I should see in the mirrors (rear view and drivers) please. I expected an instant 'flip' from the mirrors as I flash with a LED torch.
icon5.gif

Doesn't work the same as manual mirror - it's more of a gradual dimming.

It seems to work well at night although at dusk I sometimes find it to be not sensitve as I would like.

Hope that helps.

David

its a gradual fade to black. shine a torch at the mirror whilst putting your hand over the sensor at the back of the mirror. in a few seconds it should go dim.

make sure the doors are not open though as i think some models wont dim if the cars interior light is on or the car is in reverse.

exterior mirrors will use the same sensor aswell so check whetehr these dim at the same time (if you do indeed have that option)

its a gradual fade to black. shine a torch at the mirror whilst putting your hand over the sensor at the back of the mirror. in a few seconds it should go dim.

make sure the doors are not open though as i think some models wont dim if the cars interior light is on or the car is in reverse.

exterior mirrors will use the same sensor aswell so check whetehr these dim at the same time (if you do indeed have that option)

Correct, no dim if reverse selected or doors open. Only the driver's door mirror dims

in both of my cars the drivers door mirror and the rear view mirror fade to a dark green and do not go completely blank regards jon

Dark grey for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom