Auto dipstick!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

harrisonaard1

Car
Mercedes Benz
After my W210 (320) auto 'box having a few gear selection bumbles, I wanted to check the oil level/condition as a start, but instead of the old long gearbox dipstick of the 124's, there is none! Please may someone tell me how long a piece of wire needs to be to act as an accurate dipstick? (With the engine off, obviously)

You can buy an auto-trans dip-stick from a number of sources.
I bought mine from Inchcape some years ago.
No doubt Wunderpartz or Euro Car Parts sell them as well.

Auto boxes should always be dipped as follows.
After a run with engine and transmission at normal operating temperature.
Move transmission thru all selections and then test with the transmission in "park" and the engine running.
Not ... With the engine off.

Thank you Johnsco. I found a post which stated 1220mm. I have tried this, but can't get the wire all the way to the end...I shall persevere...after looking for confirmation of that definitive mesurement.

An gearbox fluid change will be between 150-250 depending where you go. Cheaper than a recon box!

The measure meant lengths to the end don't help guys as it does not push all the way in to the handle like an engine dipstick. If you do an oil and filter on you box run it drain it change filter clean magnets and rebuild. Add 3.7 Ltrs of oil and that will be spot on trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom