Auto electric supplier for alternator refurb parts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

conor1n

Car
E350 S212 M272 3.5 // SL 500 R230 M113 5.0
Hi all,

I have just taken the (broken) alternator out of my E class with a view to refurbishing it myself.

Would anybody be able to help me track down the correct bits for a refurb?

I am looking for:

* Ball bearings x 2
* Brushes
* Split ring.

The Bosch OEM part is as follows:
  • The OEM number I already had: A 013 154 56 02
  • The Bosch part number: 0121 715 014 and also some other markings: "LI-K -> 14M2.5" (This part was validated by the Bosch technical sales rep).
  • 180 in big letters. Assume that's 180 Amps.
  • The WIS document calls the alternator by name "14V/180A BOSCH"
I have come across a number of eBay listings selling the kits, but I'm not sure how to tell if the kit is correct or not?

Has anybody done this before?

Many thanks
Conor

Last one I had I took to a place on a local industrial estate that does this all day.

Wasn't much more than the parts kit.

The bearings will have a part number on them e.g. 6202 and should be available from any bearing supplier. Make sure the ones you get are the same - sealed/semi sealed/open. Iirc this is denoted by z or zz for semi sealed/fully sealed.
A local (larger) auto electrician should have the brushes and may have a slip ring, but unless the alternator has seen serious mileage they tend not to wear so might not need changing. They can be a bugger to get off, too.

Last edited:
I am in work tomorrow , if you get all the numbers off the bearings I will see if we have them and if we do I can stick them in the post on the way home FOC.

If you cant ID the numbers then if you can get a set of calipers - inside dia / outside dia / width. I would imagine they will be 2Z meaning metal shielded both sides , or 2RZ rubber shielded both sides.

K

Last edited:
The bearings will have a part number on them e.g. 6202 and should be available from any bearing supplier. Make sure the ones you get are the same - sealed/semi sealed/open. Iirc this is denoted by z or zz for semi sealed/fully sealed.
A local (larger) auto electrician should have the brushes and may have a slip ring, but unless the alternator has seen serious mileage they tend not to wear so might not need changing. They can be a bugger to get off, too.

Cool. I need to get myself a puller to get the off tomorrow. And I also think I need an impact wrench to get the nut off the pulley end. I wonder will an electric one work..I saw a guy online do it with an air one..?

LMAO - You could say the alternator has gone round a few times... car has 195k miles on the clock :)

I am in work tomorrow , if you get all the numbers off the bearings I will see if we have them and if we do I can stick them in the post on the way home FOC.

If you cant ID the numbers then if you can get a set of calipers - inside dia / outside dia / width. I would imagine they will be 2Z meaning metal shielded both sides , or 2RZ rubber shielded both sides.

K

Kenny, that is very kind of you, thank you for the offer. Let me see if I can get a read on the bearings in the morning.

Many thanks.

Reactions: Ted
I forgot to post a pic.... sorry it didn't focus, but you can see the slip ring has been devoured!slip-ring-comp.jpg

I used to use these people for rebuilding alternators and starter motors when I was operating. It worked out cheaper for the customer than for me to refurbish and quicker too as they nearly always had one ready on the shelf.
Charge and Start.
Address: 48 Park View Rd, Welling DA16 1RX
Phone: 020 8301 3144

Roger

I used to use these people for rebuilding alternators and starter motors when I was operating. It worked out cheaper for the customer than for me to refurbish and quicker too as they nearly always had one ready on the shelf.
Charge and Start.
Address: 48 Park View Rd, Welling DA16 1RX
Phone: 020 8301 3144

Roger

Thanks. But to be honest, I am more interested in the parts to refurb myself... I just really wanna DIY. Mainly to learn along the way.

Only if I epic fail, will I got and get it done for me. I don't rely on the car and if it sits for a while, no biggie.

I see what you mean on the slip ring! Don’t forget that will have a couple of soldered joints to the coil in the rotor that will need to be unsoldered.
These guys
https://www.woodauto.com
might have what you need - they used to supply us a LONG time ago.

I see what you mean on the slip ring! Don’t forget that will have a couple of soldered joints to the coil in the rotor that will need to be unsoldered.
These guys
https://www.woodauto.com
might have what you need - they used to supply us a LONG time ago.

Thanks I will try them...

I have been nerding out on Youtube and think I know everything involved... just patience, the right tools and not forcing anything in the wrong way should do it, hopefully.

WestronicsIRL channel on Youtube is verrrrrry good for this. Extremely well presented and detailed videos on each task.

Thanks. But to be honest, I am more interested in the parts to refurb myself... I just really wanna DIY. Mainly to learn along the way.

Only if I epic fail, will I got and get it done for me. I don't rely on the car and if it sits for a while, no biggie.
I know what you mean, That is how I learned it many years ago. However I take it you will be replacing the Regulator too.

Roger

I know what you mean, That is how I learned it many years ago. However I take it you will be replacing the Regulator too.

Roger

I thought I might just do the brushes. But considering it's out now, I might just drop in a new regulator altogether. Makes sense, I think, since it's not that expensive.

I like the idea of a decent refurb prior to refitting.

Next steps will be figuring out how to bench test.. I believe you need to supply volts to get volts and spin it....

I have an old PC with a very good power supply in it. I will probably convert that to a bench supply and use that to test.

Yes, you can use a drill to spin it on the bench.

Roger

K

Hey @KennyN,

I was going to PM you but function seems to be blocked, as I am a newbie!? :(

Anyway, I think I have tracked down the correct bearings.. if you are at a loose end :)

First one:
Inner Dia: 15mm
Outer Dia: 35mm
Width: 11mm
Rubber seals

Second one:
Inner Dia: 17mm
Outer Dia: 47mm
Width: 14mm
Rubber seals

See what you can do, I have no problem sending over a few quid whenever. Thanks a million.

Update on project:

* I'm off to buy an impact wrench today to get the nut off the pulley end..
* Look at the voltage regulator and the bushes attached in pic below.. one is completely mangled/wedged/melted into the plastic.. I have no idea what is going on here...or how to the alternator worked with it like this. It looks like it's been like this a while.

@Ted -- That wood auto site is amazing. It's part finder/cross reference/BOM tooling is very useful! Thanks a LOT!!

vreg-mashed-comp.jpg

Hey @KennyN,

I was going to PM you but function seems to be blocked, as I am a newbie!? :(

Anyway, I think I have tracked down the correct bearings.. if you are at a loose end :)

First one:
Inner Dia: 15mm
Outer Dia: 35mm
Width: 11mm
Rubber seals

Second one:
Inner Dia: 17mm
Outer Dia: 47mm
Width: 14mm
Rubber seals

See what you can do, I have no problem sending over a few quid whenever. Thanks a million.

6202 2RZ + 6303 2RZ , give me 10 mins and i will let you know.

K

Ok , we have 6202 2RZ but we only have the 6303 ZZ with the metal shields.

Generally the rubber seals are used in dusty environments as they seal the bearings better.

I can get them in the post later today if you want them.

K

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom