Auto Express Tyre Tests

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian WH

MB Enthusiast
Car
JAGUAR XF 3.0D Premium Luxury
Suggest you buy Auto-Express this week 1st-7th September Issue with Focus on the front.. It has a very interesting 16 Tyre test in it, which rates tyres in all weather conditions, as well as price, noise and affect on mpg. :bannana: :bannana:

Brian WH said:
Suggest you buy Auto-Express this week 1st-7th September Issue with Focus on the front.. It has a very interesting 16 Tyre test in it, which rates tyres in all weather conditions, as well as price, noise and affect on mpg. :bannana: :bannana:

Can you post a summary of the rankings :p) ?
Just top 10 or something

Hi Brian,
I was also surprised at the Results....I thought Mitchelin would of scored better:eek:

Great Article about the Spy Photographer in Nevada.

Joe

1 Vredestein sport trac
2 Goodyear Hydragrip
3 Barum Bravuris
4 Uniroyal Rallye 550
5 Continetal Premium contact
6 Kumho Ecsta KH11
7 Fulda Carat Attiro
8 Dunlop SP Sport 01
9 Michelin Pilot Primacy
10 Avon ZV3
11 Firestone Firehawk TZ200
12 Yokohoma C.Drive
13 CEAT Tornado
14 Bridgestone Turanza ER30
15 Toyo RoadPro 610

willy said:
1 Vredestein sport trac
2 Goodyear Hydragrip
3 Barum Bravuris
4 Uniroyal Rallye 550
5 Continetal Premium contact
6 Kumho Ecsta KH11
7 Fulda Carat Attiro
8 Dunlop SP Sport 01
9 Michelin Pilot Primacy
10 Avon ZV3
11 Firestone Firehawk TZ200
12 Yokohoma C.Drive
13 CEAT Tornado
14 Bridgestone Turanza ER30
15 Toyo RoadPro 610

Proves that 'brand names' don't always produce the goods.

Kumho K11 is probably the best price/performance and safety option.
At 37.00 /tyre at 195/60 it is good value. However the aquaplanning results very dissapointing

I would go for the sportrac 2.

It does prove that even with this test, which is very good and also enlightening, that you have to check what "YOU" want from a tyre. ;)

eg: - The top two tyres in the test, came joint 13th in Noise? 12th and 14th in Rolling Resistance-mpg and are also not the cheapest.

My Continental Premium Contact, 5th overall, came 1st in Dry Braking 1st in Dry Handling and 1st in Rolling resisatance - mpg, but are also not cheap, and 9th in the wet aquaplaning? But 3rd for wet braking. 4th in Noise.

However I am pretty satisfied having read that. :rock: :rock:

Which ones were QUIETEST,i want QUIET tyres.

esox said:
Which ones were QUIETEST,i want QUIET tyres.

The Quietest was the Avon ZV3. BUT it came 10th overall and pretty low in most of the other catagories. 4th in price though. :crazy:

2nd Quietest was the Uniroyal Rallye 550, and 4th overall. ;)

Shame they didn't test F1's :confused:

S.

Just had the KUMHO Escta K11 fitted with 15" alloys. The handling has improved dramatically and so has the steering feel. Early days yet ...haven't tested wet grip yet...but shouldn't be dissapointed. I've noticed as the tyres tests confirmed that they are a little noiser than the stock tyres i had on...the kids haven't noticed ....maybe the tyres quieter than them!

Will test and report of any symptoms.., thread life etc....
Cost all in all for 5 tyres/5 alloys/fitting 400 quid. The dealer charged 40 quid for fitting, balancing with weights, tyre valve for all 5 tyres. Took them an hour 15 mins. I'm still amazed how I took 5 x195/60 tyres and 5 boxed alloys with fixing kit all in the Civic with room for a passerger. It is def a TARDIS....brought 4 flithy tyres back/bagged up thanks to the dealer.

Excellent service yet again at a HONDA dealer.

Will have the MBz done next week for 4 new/refurb Alloys and wheel alignment since it pulls to left.

Steve_Perry said:
Shame they didn't test F1's :confused:

S.

Different class of tyre, the ones tested are sort of similar class.

Would have been nice to see the P- Zeros tested also

Tan said:
Would have been nice to see the P- Zeros tested also

Yeah... but this is Auto Express remember ;)
the 'tabloid' motoring magazine. (but to be fair of late it does include some exotic cars, unlike at launch when it was focused on bread and butter cars).

adam1 said:
...<snip> Just had the KUMHO Escta K11 fitted with 15" alloys. The handling has improved dramatically and so has the steering feel. Early days yet ...haven't tested wet grip yet...but shouldn't be dissapointed......

Before the test came out I fitted a pair to the front of the Golf, nice and grippy in the dry and very progressive breakaway in the wet, could actually do with a bit more wet grip though as I felt they slide a little too easily. That is only a snap judgement on a (possibly greasy!) roundabout.

I was also extremely impressed with Bracknell Tyres who fitted 2 x 205/55/16 for £84. Although judging by the queue outside I wasn't the only one who knew they were the cheapest for miles (better even than Micheldever).

How are you finding the Kumho K11 now, regarding noise.
I feel they are abit noiser than the 14" dunlops i had which lacked steering feel and stability at speed.

The car is more stable at speed and handles corners very well, very sticky tyres but still early days yet.....I wouldn't put them on the Mbz I would opt for the Ultratracs or sportrac 2 since i need a quieter tyre for that car....or maybe stick with the good old Contis since the SBC is way above normal brakes.

I hadn't really noticed much difference TBH. I'll give a full opinion next week after Mull (see Rally Fans post)

My KH11 were very noisy....in fact i could hear the noise as though the window was open . That was the 1st day i tested them. Anyway my 1st reasoning was that possibly these tyres were made that way. I would never have spotted that the DEALER had fitted the tyres inside OUT. The outside mark was not seen on all but one tyre. So picked up the phone and got them to change ASAP FOC. NO luck with dealers lately....they can't even fit tyres right way round.

After correction the car handles like its on rails thru corner and grips well in all conditions. THE "noise" has disappeared. The tyre is very sporty and sticks to the road on corners.

But the Contis are more suited to the Merc...they are still virtually silent and grip well but not very sporty though.

The Kumhos performed very well on Mull, mostly dry tarmac with some damp spots where last weeks rain was coming off the hills and the occaisional VERY greasy patch where the rally cars had cut the corner and scooped mud onto the road.

The motorway run up was fine, so ultimately I found them to be an excellent budget tyre, low noise, good dry grip and progressive breakaway when wet. What more could you ask for for £42 each....? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom