Auto gear change fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the prince

Car
2001 CLK 230k
Sorry if this has been covered but i've tried looking and couldn't find it anywhere. Today my 230k CLK A208 seems to have developed a gear change fault.

In short the when running through the gears with normal rev's i expect the gear change to happen at about 1800-2000 revs and drop to 1500 etc as it runs through the gears, but twice today it went up to 3500-4000 without dropping down to next gear hence i'm driving at 35mph at 3500 revs and despite attempting to kick it down it wouldn't so i was driving in one gear (felt like second) with high revs noize. Eventually after around 1/2mile i stopped car and turned ignition off and on again and it appears to have reset.

Slight side issue, i've got engine managment light on and having been at Main Dealers today, they said that it was probably the wiring loom affected by oil contamination and not really too much to worry about, unlessi want to goto cost of new loom and sensors etc.

Would the first job be to get a gearbox oil change (£195) then see if that resolves the problem.

Stealers want £90 for engine diagnostic on Star. Already paid them £45 today for Star system to reset the Roof module that i replaced last week. .

Any comments are very welcome.

Today my 230k CLK A208 seems to have developed a gear change fault.

No expert on autos but logic would dictate it's unlikely a fluid change will help - if it happened suddenly its more likely electrical or mechanical, the fluid would deteriorate over a period of time........

when my 5g was low on fluid it felt like a badly slipping clutch on a manual. Being stuck in 2nd gear sounds like something different, its a shame the stealers didnt read your gearbox codes while they were connected as that may have flagged up a few errors like maybe sticking solenoids or speed plate

when my 5g was low on fluid it felt like a badly slipping clutch on a manual. Being stuck in 2nd gear sounds like something different, its a shame the stealers didnt read your gearbox codes while they were connected as that may have flagged up a few errors like maybe sticking solenoids or speed plate

That would have been helpful. I went in because of the new roof module as it wouldn't operate once fitted. The dealer thought it should have just worked without programming. When i got the car back the engine management light was still on (it had been before) so i asked why it hadn't been cleared with the Star check and was told that they hadn't been looking for any engine faults. They also said that they didn't have a Star system compatible with my cars system as it was quite old. So i didn't actually get a print out. They said a Full Star diagnostic would be £90, so i'd need to go back again. Seems a bit annoying really whilst they had it there.

Try resetting your gearbox ECU adaptions - this can also be done on star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYVAOr6uJbI

I would firstly get your gearbox oil level checked and from there the condition of the oil should be apparant.

Additionally I would inspect the ECU for ingress of gearbox oil (as you have mentioned above) as the pilot bush plug tends to leak - these are less than £30 for a dealer and not hard to swap out

I believe that this place closed down awhile ago. So i've either got JCT6000 or Europa. Nearest indy is in Doncaster i think.
Really? it's the place near Meadowhall. I used to work round the corner but I haven't been to Sheffield for 8 months or so.

Out of the two dealers I would say JCT.

I have experienced both.

Really? it's the place near Meadowhall. I used to work round the corner but I haven't been to Sheffield for 8 months or so.

Out of the two dealers I would say JCT.

I have experienced both.

Well difficult to say on JCT. I went there yesterday for an arranged appointment to use the Star system and on arrival was advised that they had not record of the booking. I had used the call centre to make the booking so their system clearly doesn't work that well. I was asked if i'd got in a muddle with Europa in town. I called them to confirm that I had not, but due to JCT having no booking and no space to accommodate me I made my way to Europa.

The key difference between the two appears to be JCT sell new cars offer coffee in a china cup and saucer and Europa sell older cars and provide coffee in a paper cup. Other than that they're both main stealers and unlikely i'd use either unless I was desperate. Incidentally Europa were cheaper by £15 to programme a new module.

Since transmission fluid and filter change two weeks ago no further problems with the gear change. I attempted to gather the fluid on changing and measure how much was in, and whichever way. i put in a lot more than came out, so was likely to be low on fluid and it was as dirty as diesel engine oil.

Not been used a great deal this last year, 1000 ish, but no faults at all, so the fluid change was the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom