Auto Gearbox Dipstick Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

michael8554

Car
(ML270CDI, A160 W168) - 2007 A150 W169
W163 ML 2.7CDI auto 2005 34,000 miles

I've read the "How-To" on changing the automatic gearbox ATF, and made a dipstick from 3mm diameter stranded steel garage door cable.

I've found it quite hard to push the cable past the constriction near the gearbox end of the dipstick tube.

Tried some 1mm galvanised garden wire and that was hard too, but I ended up with the same amount of wire down the tube, so I think I had reached the bottom.

Can anyone please confirm the amount of dipstick that goes down the tube?

I make it 74cm/29"

I don't know if the dipstick tube length is the same on different cars so a reply from a ML 2.7CDI owner would be perfect.

Happy New Year

Michael

Thanks for the reply Derek, but the info only tells me how long their dipsticks are, not how much of the length is inserted (I don't think the handle ends up flush with the end of the tube, the dipstick is longer than that)

The link cross references the dipsticks against engine and transmission types . As long as you get the correct one it should go all the way in until the handle meets the top of the tube .

When fully inserted there is about a foot of the dipstick left showing..
These are "tools" for checking the ATF level and do NOT live within the gearbox as in days of yore !

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys but I'm afraid you've missed the point.
Don't need to know how much of the dipstick is left outside, that depends on the total length of the dipstick which could be anything depending on whether its diy or eBay or MB or Sealey etc.
I'm worried my diy dipstick isn't going all the way in, so I wanted to know how much goes into the dipstick tube.
Most of the dipsticks on eBay are spiral wire like my diy efforts, so I decided to buy one with a proper tip.
I've now bought a Sealey VS1200TD which is made from spiral "curtain wire" and has a flexible black plastic tip which seems identical to the images of the MB part - 25 and 80 degrees marks, and a diamond shaped stop.
Found out it goes in the same amount as my diy stick, so the problem was that the ATF was impossible to see on the grey finish of my stick - the flat black plastic tip on the Sealey held enough ATF to see.
All this came about after replacing the gearbox multi-connector due to leaking O-rings, this was a doddle to do. With the front of the car on ramps no fluid came out (but level was low due to the leak of course). You need a T-30 Torx for the metal shield and a 7mm socket on an extension for the part with the O-rings.
MB call this a Pilot Bushing MA203 540 02 53 £23.95 + VAT.
There are cheaper ones on eBay but if the o-rings are too thick they can bust the socket in the gearbox and then it gets very expensive!

is the atf level reading taken with the engine switched on or off - presumably with the selector in "N"

Hi engine on and box unto temp! Half hours driving should do it and go from park to drive and back again whilst running with dipstick in. IIRC my sealey one was only 25 to 30 pounds and well worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom