auto gearbox display

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve pratt

Car
c200 kompressor estate
C200 compressor with tiptronic box. Under normal driving when in WD mode the gearbox display shows WD regardless of which gear the auto has selected and this is how it is 99.9% of the time. However on 3 occasions over the last 6 months whilst driving in WD mode the car has stopped auto changing up and when I look at the display it shows W2 and I then have to shift using the tiptronic function even though SD has not been selected. This continues until the ignition is switched off then switched on again, car started and normal service resumed.
Has anyone else come across this? And its got me wondering whether when in WD mode should the display change to W1, W2, W3 etc as it go's through the box?

On 3 occasions you mention, you were driving in manual mode.
When driving in D you are in automatic mode, if you tape the gear lever to the RIGHT, you will drop a gear, if you tap the gear lever again you will drop another gear as shown on the dash display.

If you then tap the gear lever to the LEFT you will go back up a gear, and again, you will be back in D, automatic.

Have you got a User Manual?

Dec

thanks for reply Dec but that wasn't the question, yes i have a user manual but it doesn't say anything about what the display will show when auto shifting. Mine just shows WD whatever gear it is in then occasionally reverts to tiptronic although showing W2 on display. My other question was what should the display show when in WD mode? does it show WD whatever the gear or should it show W1, W2 etc as it changes up. If i am in SD maode and change to WD it will show WX X being whatever gear i was in when it changed to WD made. thanks

My '04 in Automatic shift shows the Mode (C or S) and D, N or R as selected. It doesn't show gear selection.

On the rare occasion I use manual shift it shows C or S and the gear number.

What year is your car?

Do you understand what the - & + symbols do beside the letter D by the gear stick?

Dec

4mgz5.jpg

Hi Dec, i am on about the dash board display mate. I can use the tiptronic + and - and know how to change between WS and WD modes. On the LCD display behind the steering wheel in the top right hand corner it will display WP in that mode when in park but when put into drive only shows WD ( WR and WN if selected) but will not show gear number as it auto shifts up the box. In WS mode it starts by showing SP and then SD in drive. After that it shows S and whatever gear it is in after shifting with the + and - . As i said in the first post on a few occasions in WD it has suddenly displayed W2 and will not auto shift and i have to either use + - or stop and power cycle the ignition. Just wondering if you can tell me how your dash display reads when auto shifting in WD mode. its an 53 plate c200K

On mine in auto it won't show the gear number unless I put it into manual

I think the OP's problem here is that in automatic mode it's suddenly jumping into manual? Unless I read that wrong

OP, are you sure you aren't knocking the gear lever into manual whilst in automatic?

^^^...That’s what I was thinking, was that you had moved the gear lever accidentally on the 3 occasions and that’s why you were getting numbers coming up.

When I have driven that car in D that’s all that would show no numbers unless I used manual - &+.

Dec

I see what you are saying but its very difficult to accidently hit the WS button and i dont drive with my hand on the gear stick. Thanks for clarifying the WD mode display i think i just have a rare intermittent glitch on the gear box ECU just hoping it doesn't happen when the wife drives it or the economy and the cam chain may go through the roof lol. I am assuming that in WD mode the + and - are unresponsive.

cheers steve

If it is not a glitch then the revs would change.
It’s an Annoying fault.

Dec

When you say you have to shift, do you mean change up gears? If you drive in any mode but M when you use the selector all you are doing is restricting the auto shift range i.e. the box won't change higher than the number shown in the display. You can change down and up 'manually' but all you are really doing is changing the restricted range.

What year is your car?

no the fault is that very occasionally when in auto the display changes from WD to W2 and i can only shift with + and - until i switch off and restart then all is good, its only happened 3 times in 6 months so not too worried at the moment. 53 plate c200k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom