Auto gearbox oil replacement at 4 years / 35k miles?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
The Vito is in for a B service today, and the dealership have advised that it needs the ATF replacing - it's 4 years old and has only done 35k miles! This is covered under the service contract, so won't cost me a penny ... but it seems the days of 'sealed for life' have well and truly gone! This is the old 5-speed auto box BTW.

Pleasantly surprised to be told that brake fluid replacement is also covered under the service contract ... I thought this was only 'advised' and I would therefore end up paying for it :)

Yes they changed the policy a good while back..

I knew it wasn't 'sealed for life' any more, but 35k miles seemed very low. What are the criteria now?

On ours its 4 years or 40,000. Then MB say dont do it again but lots of people suggest doing it every 40,000 regardless.

Sealed for life was a stupid idea.

You could apply the same logic to an engine and find that fails miserably too with a life of 10 minutes.

My Vito just gone in for an A Service which includes brake fluid change, at 14,000 miles and 22 months old, service manual states the next service, I assume B Service, will include ATF and filter replacement, I think it suggests its then for life? This should be at around four years and 30,000 miles. Van had to stay in overnight as inlet pipe to turbo had split and had to order replacement. They collected van and left replacement van for me so not a problem.

Sealed for life ended back in the early 2000's.

I would have thought a V6 CDi vito would have been 7g. Why cannot MB offer 5g with the V6Cdi engine, would be brilliant.

Mine is like a different car after having the ATF done.

Realy realy amazed how different it is.

Van had to stay in overnight as inlet pipe to turbo had split and had to order replacement. They collected van and left replacement van for me so not a problem.
Funnily enough I was told much the same on the phone (although I got the van back today), but was billed only for a seal ring plus some labour:

"Engine boost-air duct behind intercooler remove replace O ring and re-install"

Wasn't aware of any issue beforehand.

Needed front brake pads as well.

Bill, I did report to dealer that on occasions when lifting off the throttle I could hear a sort of "whooshing/hissing" sound that appeared to be low front left. I'll see whats on the work sheet today when Van returned. It should be done under warranty.

Yup - every 40k ATF and filter. I also do the diff oil as well, I was told that the diffs are sealed for life - but they have a drain and fill plug, so I guess they are not!

Bill, I did report to dealer that on occasions when lifting off the throttle I could hear a sort of "whooshing/hissing" sound that appeared to be low front left. I'll see whats on the work sheet today when Van returned. It should be done under warranty.
Never noticed anything on mine, unfortunately it's a year out of warranty now but the bill was only £80 plus VAT so could have been worse!

I'm happy to have had the ATF done but wasn't expecting to see any difference in the way it drives. Didn't make any difference on the SL either, but then both are relatively low mileage.

Wifes A210 only had 53K (although 2002) and Olly changed it(PCS)-gear change is much smoother -also changes quicker through gears-should help efficiency slightly!:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom