Auto Gearbox Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
I have a 1992 MB 300D and want to change the gearbox oil.

I've just phoned my local MB dealer in Bolton who want £130 + VAT to do it!!!!

Im going to give it a whirl myself instead.

Does anyone recommend a good oil for this, and is it an easy job to do for an average DIY man?

P.S. as an after thought, does anyone know offhand, how much gearbox oil it takes? I havn't got a manual for it yet but hope to get one this week.

Citreon 2CV :bannana:
1992 MB 300D

Ta, Bob

I am thinking about doing this myself too, it will be easy for me as I have my own ramp, but...... on the W202's there is no dipstick the dipstick tube has a tamper evident seal and the dipstick is a workshop item that can be bought from the stealer.

I personally would only use MB fluid or a very high quality fluid that meets the exact same standards. Make sure you drain the fluid after a 30 mile or so drive to ensure the fluid is hot and well mixed. You will never be able to drain every last drop because some fluid will always remain in the torque converter. So even if you knew the capacity, you will need to top up using the dipstick as the guide. I have been asking about doing this, I think there is also a filter on most auto's, some flat gauze like thing.

Let us know how you get on.

I think the auto box on the W202 takes about 8 litres of oil and yes there is a filter you have to take the plate off the bottom of the auto box. The filter is about 20mm thick and roughly 200mm x 200mm. I wouldn't like to do it Iv'e seen the mess.

on the W124 there is a drain plug for the torque convertor.

well, there is on some of them and it's a pain to get at :)

on the bottom of the bellhousing there is an inspection hole (may have a cover may not) if it's covered, remove it and you will see the torque convertor, get a friend to slowly rotate the engine with a spanner on the crank pulley until you see an allen bolt head line up with the inspection hole - thats the drain plug, remove it and prepare to get soaked in hot trans fluid - this job is best done with the car raised quite high off the ground so you can get out of the way quickly :)

Drain the transmission sump first. The plug is on the passenger side of the sump and the hot fluid comes out horizontally if you remove the plug too quickly. Once it's fully drained you need to remove the pan to change the filter - the filter and the gasket (which is a big rubber seal) are reasonably cheap. Then do the torque convertor.

Reassemble everything and remember to work as clean as possible you don't want any dirt or dust getting into the gearbox.

Once everything is back together pour about 4 litres of fluid into the box (Haynes recommendation not mine - I used 5 litres) start the engine up, let it get hot and then add fluid and check the level with the box in park after switching slowly through all the gears.

When you reach the minmum level, take the car for a drive - gently for about 10 miles then check the level again. you'll probably find it's risen to about half way between the two marks as it expands with the heat, add a little more fluid leaving it just below the max level.

as for fluid amounts, our 230TE used about 6.5 litres. i think the 6 cylinder engines use about 7.2 litres. we used a Dexron II fluid supplied by the dealer but they said any Dexron II would be fine

Don't overfill the box.

Andy

Last edited:
Auto Gearbox oil change

Thanks Andy,

This doesn't sound like a job for me :confused:

I think I might be better off taking it to a Independent garage and seeing what they will charge for the job, as opposed to a main dealer.

MB recommend it should be changed every 72000 miles and its done 135K, I don't know if its ever been changed so I had better get it done, even though the gearbox runs well and is nice and smooth on the changes

Bob

If I've put you off Bob, then I'm sorry, it's not a hard job, no worse than changing engine oil - aside from locating the plug and draining the torque covertor.

I just try and cover all the options, knowing that someone at some stage will probably half read it then end up making a mess of things.

It's a straightforward job that is well within the average DIY mechanics capabilities - I'm one and I've done it :)

just 3 things to watch

1, transmission fluid is hot, sticky and smells horrible
2, you need to work "clean" - do the job in your garage
3, don't overfill the gearbox

Andy

Totally agrees with Andy, easy to do but keep it clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom