Auto gearbox problem GLE 250D 4Matic Sport SUV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chas

Car
Mercedes GLE 300D 4Matic AMG line
Auto gearbox problem GLE 250D 4Matic Sport SUV 2016

Driving back from airport last night and 9 speed auto transmission behaved strange !

Revs were unduly high before shifting up and acceleration was poor and non existent above 65mph, car wouldn't go above 6th gear
Tried Manual selection but paddles didn't work and no indication M was selected. Kickdown failed also.
Gears changed downward as normal when stopping
Got back home switched engine off and all looked ok in the driveway, M was showing when selected and paddles worked.

Getting satnav updated Monday so this will be checked too

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks

Called Mercedes breakdown aka RAC at home. He did diagnostic check no error codes....

Not sure if that's a good thing as the problem is still there ?

id suspect an engine issue and not the gearbox tbh.

Well there are not to many members with the 9 speed box and I have not seen any problems on this forum,the 7g boxes used to throw up problems and then not have any codes when put on a star,I would get the problem up again and then run it into a MB dealership and get somebody to drive it with the problem,not that easy to do I know,it could of course be a engine problem just maybe the gearbox does not know what speed the engine is going and so does not change up or goes into a safety mode.

Well there are not to many members with the 9 speed box and I have not seen any problems on this forum,the 7g boxes used to throw up problems and then not have any codes when put on a star,I would get the problem up again and then run it into a MB dealership and get somebody to drive it with the problem,not that easy to do I know,it could of course be a engine problem just maybe the gearbox does not know what speed the engine is going and so does not change up or goes into a safety mode.

Thanks I'll find out Monday at the dealers, it hasn't gone into limp mode . I tried Sports mode instead of Comfort and it seemed ok on a short drive

Driving back from airport....

Had it been parked there for a while? I know my car is pretty different, but apparently if it drops below 9V on start-up it'll go into limp mode. I don't use my car much and it's done it a couple of times but I can't tell until I pull out of the village onto the main road and it's like the turbo isn't working. Drive for a bit, stop and restart, and it's fine.

Had it been parked there for a while? I know my car is pretty different, but apparently if it drops below 9V on start-up it'll go into limp mode. I don't use my car much and it's done it a couple of times but I can't tell until I pull out of the village onto the main road and it's like the turbo isn't working. Drive for a bit, stop and restart, and it's fine.

It was parked for a week but battery was fine.

Took car out today and all was ok, tried every option Manual, Auto, Sports mode, Comfort mode , Individual mode, kick down, paddles in M , multiple gear changes, unable to find a fault :)

Update …….

Took car into dealers this morning, explained the problem and gave lengthy details in writing.
Phoned them at 1600, having issues updating SATNAV ( which was why the car was booked in initially), there is a software update for my car which stops the Satnav update crashing at 65% , but they haven't got it yet!
Then told could be water ingress which caused engine/transmission issue, then told we thought it wasn't water ingress but it was only condensation on the rubber floor mats !
They then ask if technician can test the car by driving it home and returning in the morning, its only a short drive....
I ask where will my car be parked overnight and they say in his driveway in ********* aka the ugliest UK town with huge crime/drugs problem 40 miles away !
No way, I said , so much for a short distance o_O
Complete waste of my time today. :wallbash:

Got car back today, MB are still downloading the latest SATNAV update as they " have poor internet and it takes ages" . They will notify me when its downloaded but I wont hold my breath..
They (she) questioned why I didn't give permission for my vehicle to be taken home by their technician on a 80 mile round trip and left in his driveway overnight. I told them they can road test it when at work, and they certainly took it for a 12 mile run this afternoon. She said it was company policy to take customers cars home to road test them. Sounds like a load of b******s to me and I shall be contacting MB customer service.
Crap customer relations at this dealership that's for sure.

Here is the print out I gave them concerning the engine/transmission faults
"
Friday

In Auto gear all ok until after two mins then revs are unduly high ( 3000 -4000 rpm ) before shifting up and acceleration is poor and non-existent above 65mph. Kickdown fails also.
Tried whilst still driving changing to permanent “M” Manual selection …it doesn’t work, and temporary “M” paddles didn't work and no indication M was selected or indication to change up or down gear. Kickdown failed also.
Gears changed downward as normal when stopping. No warning lights showing. Driving in Manual “M” selection from start-up works ok

Stop car, switch engine off, restart all ok until two minutes and problem still there, same as above.

Engine idle speed is normal and no issues starting vehicle.

Saturday

Same problems as Friday

RAC diagnostic shows no fault codes, but problem still present

Sunday

Took car for long run tested everything

No problems all ok "

Last edited:
Possibly doing a DPF regeneration ? I know my revs go funny and gears act strangely when its going thorough this phase, usually only lasts 10 mins.

Possibly doing a DPF regeneration ? I know my revs go funny and gears act strangely when its going thorough this phase, usually only lasts 10 mins.
I thought it may have been an active regen which went wrong and got stuck, or possibly water penetration in engine bay as the drain holes were all blocked with leaves and it was raining torrents all week when the car was parked outside. M gear selection failed as did kick down, MB should check these basic issues, the quality and skills are just not there, no wonder the good guys all set up as independent

Auto gearbox problem GLE 250D 4Matic Sport SUV 2016

Driving back from airport last night and 9 speed auto transmission behaved strange !

Revs were unduly high before shifting up and acceleration was poor and non existent above 65mph, car wouldn't go above 6th gear
Tried Manual selection but paddles didn't work and no indication M was selected. Kickdown failed also.
Gears changed downward as normal when stopping
Got back home switched engine off and all looked ok in the driveway, M was showing when selected and paddles worked.

Getting satnav updated Monday so this will be checked too

Any ideas guys ?

Thanks
Hi Chas did you get this resolved ?

sometimes these mercs have "an off day".. Lets hope that's all it was and normal service has resumed..

I know this is an old thread but did anyone get to the bottom of these faults? Specifically the one posted by johnausgolf? I have exact the same issue and getting no where with MB 😞

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom