Auto Gearbox

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manpolsabre

Car
1992 300D
I don't know if its me but the auto g/box on my 1992 300D sometimes feels like it's slipping a bit changing from 2nd to 3rd gear. I also think it's more noticable when the engines cold.

The g/bpx oil has recently been changed and the level is OK.

Any one any ideas as to what it might be.?

PLEASE PLEASE tell me it's not an expensive job, otherwise I will have to send the other half out to work full time! :D

Bob

Forgot to say. It seems to be more pronounced when the engine is cold and accelerating slowly.
When I accelerate quickly with higher revs it doesn't do it :crazy:

Bob

Two things spring to mind.

On most MB boxes the change up from 2nd is delayed when cold to assist with engine warm up.

On the side of the gearbox is a vacuum modulator which slurrs shifs depending on how much power / torque is being delivered. The greater the power delivery the harsher the change to reduce slip.
The modulator may want a small adjustment to bring the changes in a bit harder.

As a test you could try disconnecting the vacuum line to see if the slurr stops, although shifts will then be harder.

Getting the same problem

I've got exactly the same problem on a 1994 E320 cabriolet. Dieselman, any chance of some pictures of where this adjustment is? I've got very smooth shifting at the moment - too smooth - and i'd prefer to firm it up so that the 2-3 upshift problem may go away without a k1 clutch replacement.

cheers, dino

Moved as this is Engine and Transmission stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom