Auto gearboxes - again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Valps

Car
Mercedes E320 Avantgarde (W210)
About a month ago I had my atf changed by a local (non Mercedes) garage. They did not use genuine fluid or a new filter. The box is a 5 speed version with S & W settings, and is in my 1998 E240 which I love. . I had believed the box was poorly, as it changed jerkily, and often went into limp home mode. Anyway, I have now replaced the air mass meter and cured the poor engine power and smoothed out gear changes. Lately however the car loses drive for some seconds, then gradually re-engages and behaves itself once more. Oh, It still goes into limp home mode occasionally. The rest of the time the car behaves impeccably despite its 139,000 miles. Can anyone advise? Will another atf change with the genuine stuff and a filter help? If so, what quantity is needed?

Its about 9 litres - and (i dont know why but it does) have to be the genuine MB stuff - and of course its bloomin exbenzive ;)

It is not unknown - and your car is abotu the right age and mileage - for the box to be shot - mine is a 97 and blew up at 130,000 ish miles - theres a bearing that goes in the main planetry set - theres a few americans who do a replacement bearing...

edit - this one:- http://www.omegamachine.com/db/mercedes_bushings.asp at the bottom

Last edited:
Reactions: PJH
take to a good indy did they reset the counter in the gearbox and how burnt was the old atf you should place a magnet over the fluid ie bearing breakdown does occur ???recon box i have seen a powerflush bring out aload of debris that sticks on the sensors ??
low oil causes problems as well

Many thanks for your suggestions. I'm off to a recommended indy on Monday for a proper ATF change. He mentionned the filter in the trans, which made me believe he knew what he was talking about. Oh, he even warned me about the price of MB ATF. Will let you know how things go.

MB ATF has transformed the car beyond recognition. Smooth slick changes and sooo quiet. Money well spent. Moral - USE GENUINE ATF IT'S LESS EXPENSIVE IN THE LONG RUN

Valps said:
MB ATF has transformed the car beyond recognition. Smooth slick changes and sooo quiet. Money well spent. Moral - USE GENUINE ATF IT'S LESS EXPENSIVE IN THE LONG RUN

DO A SEARCH ON HERE FIRST ITS EVAN CHEAPER......... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom