Auto jumped out of gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonks

Car
C220 Cdi Elegance Estate
I've had my W203 for a week now (my first MB - Auto, 2002 60,000 miles FMBSH). I've probably done about 800 happy miles so far but today I had a worrying experience. I was driving though a bend at about 30mph in D and when I applied the accelerator through the bend, the engine raced and drive was lost - as if she'd popped in to neutral. I coasted along trying to engage a gear by knocking her down through the box but it would not move out of D (but no drive). When I came to a stop I put her in to park and back into D and I had transmission again. I drove 50 mile home without a hitch.

My question is, is this a sign of a gearbox on the way out or is it common to lose drive? I had confidence in the car until this happened.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Its not common and you need to take the car back and ask them to diagnose and check the box for faults - dont take any lame excuses from them and star may still not pick up any potential faults so a hands on looksie is required.

I had a 203 320 and this has never happened to me and i used to put mine through its paces.

i think the box on the 203 has some history.... best to get your mind at rest and have it looked at asap.

mobe

Oh dear, unfortunately I bought the car from Hertfordshire and I live in the west of Ireland, (about 7 hours drive and a 4 hour ferry). Sounds like I'll have to do something though.

tonks said:
Oh dear, unfortunately I bought the car from Hertfordshire and I live in the west of Ireland, (about 7 hours drive and a 4 hour ferry). Sounds like I'll have to do something though.

Any MB dealership local to you will have a look for you. The car is under warranty so should be repaired/diagnosed free of charge.

It could be low ATF in the box.
This needs checking before it becomes more serious.

Hello Tonks
Sorry to hear of your problem. Auto boxes usually have an electronically controlled selector switch (sometimes called an inhibitor switch) which if anything goes with, results in ecu not getting right message, so drive is closed down. As already stated a MB garage will be able to pinpoint the fault. There is probably nothing wrong with the actual gearbox.

Reactions: PJH
l5foye said:
Hello Tonks
Sorry to hear of your problem. Auto boxes usually have an electronically controlled selector switch (sometimes called an inhibitor switch) which if anything goes with, results in ecu not getting right message, so drive is closed down. As already stated a MB garage will be able to pinpoint the fault. There is probably nothing wrong with the actual gearbox.

The inhibitor switch is to inhibit starter motor operation in any other selection than Park or Neutural.

I had exactly the same problem with a W220 that I bought from.....Hertfordshire! Never did get a resolution before I gave the car back and got a refund. Good luck in getting a resolution. :(

Last edited:
I'm not sure that I'll get far with the MB warranty. It has got a FMBSH but was purchased from an independent car dealer who serviced the car as part of a condition of sale - I was unaware that this would have implications. I think this is going to cost me!

Thinks just get better and better. :mad: I've taken the C220 to our local stealers to investigate the ATF level after the gear jump experience. Despite 3 B services by another mercedes garage (18k, 36k & 44k), I'm now told that the ATF has never been changed. Apparently there is a clip/seal that breaks when you change the ATF (like on a drinking water bottle). This seal was unbroken and the ATF is apparently supposed to be changed at the first service. The original factory mercedes ATF for running in is still in there - not the red stuff.

Does this even sound credible? Are you supposed to change the ATF at first service? Is there a seal that breaks on first opening? Is the factory ATF (for running in) different to the red ATF we are all familiar with? It all seems to be a little crazy to me.

Now I've got to wait until 14 March (nearly 5 weeks) for the next available slot to change the ATF fluid!!!! And I still don't know if this is the reason for her jumping out of gear.

Brett said:
I had exactly the same problem with a W220 that I bought from.....Hertfordshire! Never did get a resolution before I gave the car back and got a refund. Good luck in getting a resolution. :(

Thats the trouble when you are dealing with the sort of vermin that come from Hertfordshire:D

tonks said:
Thinks just get better and better. :mad: I've taken the C220 to our local stealers to investigate the ATF level after the gear jump experience. Despite 3 B services by another mercedes garage (18k, 36k & 44k), I'm now told that the ATF has never been changed. Apparently there is a clip/seal that breaks when you change the ATF (like on a drinking water bottle). This seal was unbroken and the ATF is apparently supposed to be changed at the first service. The original factory mercedes ATF for running in is still in there - not the red stuff.

Does this even sound credible? Are you supposed to change the ATF at first service? Is there a seal that breaks on first opening? Is the factory ATF (for running in) different to the red ATF we are all familiar with? It all seems to be a little crazy to me.

Now I've got to wait until 14 March (nearly 5 weeks) for the next available slot to change the ATF fluid!!!! And I still don't know if this is the reason for her jumping out of gear.

MB say that the gear box oil is for life and the box is sealed. Load of old pony, but I have never heard of ATF bieng changed at a first service. Most people recommend getting it done at about 50 to 60k.

I recenlty purchased a C220 CDI Estate from Mansfieldin Notts. a 01' reg. with 41K miles. Brought it back to Ireland and after doing less than 1K miles the automatic transmission failed. MB in Ireland don't want to know about it as it was bought in UK. Car has full MB service history from UK dealers. Has anybody else had this problem. Also have to wait a week for part.

Can anybody give me advice.

Last edited:
Dede said:
I recenlty purchased a C220 CDI Estate from Mansfieldin Notts. a 01' reg. with 41K miles. Brought it back to Ireland and after doing less than 1K miles the automatic transmission failed. MB in Ireland don't want to know about it as it was bought in UK. Car has full MB service history from UK dealers. Has anybody else had this problem. Also have to wait a week for part.

Can anybody give me advice.

Why not take it up north to Portadown

Dede,

Sorry to hear of your woes, 42K seems very low. The dealers in Ireland are a pain when it comes to dealing with UK cars. My CDi has spent it's life being serviced by MB in UK. The Ireland dealer tells me that the auto fluid should have been changed at first service - UK dealer says this is not the case. One plays off against the other yet they are supposed to be representing the same manufacturer. Also, if you go to part exchange your car you'll find they offer you below book price because "no-one wants UK cars" yet when you buy a previous UK car they'll charge more because "the roads are better and there's less wear and tear on the car". Can't win.

Anyway, rant over - has your car a FMBSH? Can't you go back to who you bought it from (or is it a private sale?) or contact the dealer that has done the servicing?

tonks said:

The garage is wrong. Is it a main dealer? MB say that the fluid is in for life and dont specify a replacement schedule although it wouldnt hurt to get it done around 60K miles. Get it topped up/changed anyway. Used ATF goes dark coloured so dont worry about the colour

Yes it was an MB main dealer who said it should have been changed at first service, although I gather this is not the case and that MB stance for my W203 from 2002 to 2006 was "sealed for life". However, I understand that MB have now changed their stance and are now including an ATF change as part of the maintenance schedule.

Anyway, I've taken the car to an indy in Wales and had the ATF changed. Unfortunately I'm told my car didn't have a drain sump on the torque convertor (most do some don't apparently) so I haven't got a full change of fluid. (I didn't choose the option to remove the gear box).

It's never straightforward.

Having read the last thread I had thought of an idea. Forgive me for going off topic for a moment. So there is no drain plug in the torque convertor. Question. If you were to disconnect the gearbox cooler and drain the gearbox sump, then turn the engine over, would it drain the torque convertor? Would it cause any damage?

Some Auto shops or mechanics have a system whereby oil is flushed thru using the cooler lines. Ie new oil in , old oil out engine running.

Bazzle

Wow - this very same problem happened to me yesterday on some country roads in North Yorkshire.

I have an '02 CLK 320 Convertible.

Gently accelerating to overtake (ie; gently kicking down - not to the second "click" position) resulted in total loss of power and engine racing as if in neutral. Pulling over to come to a rest, selecting Neutral and then waiting a second or two before reselecting "D", resolves the problem and you are ready to go again. Very very scary.

Would just mention that the temperature outside was 6/12 degrees celcius and the engine was at normal running temperatrure. Drive was "S" - Kicking down hard to the second click position doesn't seem to duplicate this problem.

Have we established that it is the ATF that's the problem here or have I to ring my stealership to have them diagnose the problem to be safe?

Any further suggestions would be appreciated - tonks - has the change of ATF sorted this problem?

Regards

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom