Auto opening / closing of windows etc.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSM10000

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E32O CDi Sport, MX5 1.8 Sport, Range Rover 5.0 SC, BMW X1
I have read on the 'net (so it must be true!) that it is possible to initiate automatic opening and closing of all the windows from the remote key on a W203 (2003 model year)

I have stood close to the car and unlocked it then pressed the unlock again and held the button down but nothing happens, the same result if the windows are down and I press the lock button.

As an aside I have found that "tunnel closure" works from the recirculation button though I tend not to drive through many tunnels in rural Wiltshire:)

Any ideas? also is it possible to make the car autofold the mirrors on locking, apparently I may need a new SAM etc??? (again the wisdom that is the internet!)

Many thanks

Full closure is a bit of a knack. Try putting the emitter of the key right next to the sensor and trying that a few times. Once you get used to it it becomes easier, but there will always be times when all the windows just stop part way through full closure/opening.
It may be possible to set the auto fold on star, but I am not sure if this is available on pre-facelift. If it is, you will need someone who knows how to use it. An MB garage will probably say that it is not possible.

You need to point the remote at the infra-red part on the driver's door handle, if you don't do this it won't work. I had my mirrors coded via STAR but that's on a W211 Sport.

Mate dont even go there. Complete waste of time. Some people swear it works, well it might on some cars. And there's often a dozen or more 'how to's' each time its asked.
But trust me, even if you could get it going, takes forever and 2-3 goes at best. Its a crap system, dont waste your time.

Mate dont even go there. Complete waste of time. Some people swear it works, well it might on some cars. And there's often a dozen or more 'how to's' each time its asked.
But trust me, even if you could get it going, takes forever and 2-3 goes at best. Its a crap system, dont waste your time.

This seems to tie up with my own very recent experience with it...

It's more a posing function really...

Handy when the little people leve the windows down and you switch off.

Or to let the hot air out if your cars been parked up all day.

Even opens / closes the roof :)

I like it

Cant see how its a waste of time to be honest , Handy if its a hot day to let the heat out or as stated to close the windows from the outside if one is left open.
Mine works first time every time , and saves time if anything.

You say that, but I never undo my windows as I would always get caught out when it rains.

Whenever my car is roasting, within 10 seconds of driving with the windows all down, the hot air is out anyway...

I make sure if it is a hot day, I park so the sun wont sit on my seats all day.

As above.

The 'Summer Opening' and 'Convenience Closing' features don't really work on my 2009 W203. They don't work on my friend's 2009 W221 either.

I took the car to the MB Dealer when the car was still under warranty, and they refused to do anything about it. They seemed to know that it does not work and that it can't be made to work.

I then read on this forum that in daylight you should place the fob inside a dark cylinder and place it right on top of the IR receiver, so that no light can get to the IR receiver from the side - and found that it does work like this. Only that it does not really help much... and it also works fine (in most cases) at night.

Why MB stick to this crappy IR system is beyond me. On my 2001 Vauxhall Omega, it was a simply matter of pressing the fob button (close or open) and holding it for slightly longer in order to get the windows and sunroof to auto-close or auto-open fully. It worked brilliantly. No idea what MB are up to ...

On my 2006 W203 the wing mirror auto-folding function was enabled by Alfie using STAR, no parts needed. Not sure about 2003 cars though.

Why MB stick to this crappy IR system is beyond me. On my 2001 Vauxhall Omega, it was a simply matter of pressing the fob button (close or open) and holding it for slightly longer in order to get the windows and sunroof to auto-close or auto-open fully. It worked brilliantly. No idea what MB are up to ...

My 2001 Alpina was the same - leave everything open including the sunroof.

Lock and hold whilst walking with your back to the car and hear everything close...

:rolleyes:

my 1999 A6 had this, I really liked it on hot days as the air conditioning kicked in much faster if it did not have to cool the hot interior. I have made it work one on my W203.
I am confused, I am assuming that the Mercedes remote "key" does not use IR when locking or unlocking as i can do it from distance and with no line of sight so why do you need to line it up with the IR receiver for this feature?

^^^^ Because Mercedes have chosen, in their infinite wisdom, to make it work that way.

I have a V-class. I heard a clicking noise like a relay switching constantly. MB tell me the central locking controller may be faulty. I noticed the drivers door when i push the handle it wont lock other doors. When the interior light is in the door position the light flashes on off as if the door is ajar . Turns out the door lock switch is slightly loose. I also recently found out my car has total closure using the key BUT if the drivers door with the faulty switch isn't fully closed then the closure won't work. Maybe this will remind you of some similar fault ?

^^^^ Because Mercedes have chosen, in their infinite wisdom, to make it work that way.

:doh:Ah of course, now it is all becoming clear!!

I suspect that MB were trying to be too clever here - if you press the unlock button by mistake, the car might unlock, but then it will re-lock after a while. But all this happens relatively discreetly. I suppose they wanted avoid a situation where if the fob is accidentally pressed for longer (e.g. in a handbag) while physically away from the car, the windows of the car will fully open. So in that sense an auto windows open/close system that only works when you are very near the car - and have to physically point the fob at the door handle at short range - makes sense. If that's the case, then it's not the idea that is wrong here, but the execution... but as said this is just a guess.

Today the windows on my W203, 2007 reg did not open/close via key IR global closing/open system. I've had the car for about 5 years in a few months time, the second W203. Up until today, the system worked fine after repalcement of IR sensor under warranty.

Even move the key up to the little black plastic square on the handle no joy - then read this and just tried in the dark, it worked.

I bought my first Audi, an almost brand new one in 1993 - it was the best car ever, a 2.3 saloon.

Thankfully, a few months ago I bought a year old Audi Q5 for weekends and hols - not looked back, but I think I'm a badge snob and also kept the Merc as only just tipped 40k miles and i'n the second owner on the Avtg car.

Like it or not, Audi's have a much superior feel all round and better MPG but a bit bland on the inside as always.

This site is a great help.

Btw, OT, noted about a week ago that Malcom/Telly has been banned. Sure, the site owners have their reasons. The bloke defended my posts here when I made typo mistakes and a few had a go at me and he has also given me good advice. good luck to Malc and same to this site which is very good and on the whole has like minded people posting here.
:)

I know its a different model all together but my clk convertible does the roof and windows on the button from at least 15 feet away in darker situations and my mirrors fold in when i lock the doors and the N/S mirror tilts lower when i select reverse amazing......

Tony.

Well my old CLK320 W208's windows work off of my key fob :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom