Auto pull...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Skateboard
I've not had a Merc before and the other cars I've had with an auto transmission have always pulled the car. In my Saab, it used to pull itself along and even change up into second if you weren't braking. Another car - Alpina B10 V8, was so torquey in drive the handbrake struggled to keep it stationary.

However, in my current W211 E55 AMG, there are a lot of times the car seems to be stationary even in drive on the flat.

Is this a case of Mercedes getting transmissions down to a fine art where the car is almost stationary when not pressing on the accelerator, or should the car be easily be pulling itself along in drive without a foot on the brake pedal?

Mine moves in D with foot off brake. I have to hold it on the brake on hills to stop it going forwards up the hill.

Check it's not in W/C mode as that makes it select 2nd gear and also are you selecting SBC Hold, which will keep the brakes on until you drive off.

All autos should creep in D unless as stated above you have selected a higher gear.

It is in C but I hadn't realised it pulled off in second.

:doh:

I'm so used to a 9-5 Aero HOT that the E55 still feels quicker pulling away in 2nd...

:bannana:

I will try it in S next time to see if it does what I expect.

As for SBC Hold, I just had to read the manual as to how to engage that and I know I haven't been...!

Many thanks.

Make sure there's lots of space in front of you!

:D

Fortunately I have used S a fair bit already so I am familiar with reversing or speeding up the rotation of the Earth temporarily...

I've just not had it selected when pulling out of the garage or pulling out where I live - hence the lack of creep.

I think I confused C and S with Sport mode and non-sport mode in my previous Saab - both of which start in 1st. Whereas it is a lot less hardcore in C mode in this.

The upside is, because I've had my rear CAT cut out, if I start in C it makes a lot more noise when you pull off and you don't break your neck...

:cool:

The upside is, because I've had my rear CAT cut out, if I start in C it makes a lot more noise when you pull off

Which is costing you money in extra fuel. The noise is expanded air, the more fuel the more it expands.

I can't say I bought it for economy...

:devil:

It does the usual creep thing in S mode so was that C (W) option. It doesn't seem to 'knock' anymore either when the tranmission engages in forward motion either.

Going to leave it in S now but initially - it has made no difference to the economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom