auto sensing wipers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunny

Car
1999 CLK 320 elegance 2001 C200 Kompessor Avantgarde
How do I switch off the auto sensing facility on my wipers

Gunny

Not sure that you can ? Other than disconnecting the rain sensor, perhaps - which might revert it to Normal intermittent on the INT setting.

Yours is a 203, right?

S.

sym said:
Not sure that you can ? Other than disconnecting the rain sensor, perhaps - which might revert it to Normal intermittent on the INT setting.

Yours is a 203, right?

Correct

Gunny

Hi,

On the ML they are off unless you push wiper stalk dowm. If you push stalk up you get slow then fast (constant) wiper action. So put stalk in 'neutral'.

Or is this function different for different models?

Cheers,

On The w203 the Auto sensor works on setting no 1.....if you turn the Stalk to 0 they will not auto wipe (is this what you are asking?)

Joe :eek:

If they are not working very well ask the dealer to have a look, they can adjust the sensitivity

you can just pull the plug on the sensor ....

The black plate behind the interior rear view mirror just wiggles off and down and its the bigger of the sensors , take the plug out on that and position 1 goes back to intermittant

Gunny said:
How do I switch off the auto sensing facility on my wipers

Gunny
Don't drive in the rain :D :D :D

Why would you want to turn it off. My W210 first click on wiper stalk is the auto, second is normal speed, third is fast speed. I normally drive on first click so when I turn the ignition on they wipe the screen once, and are then off untill it rains. Its probably a bad habit i've gotten into.

I have to say, on my C220 the auto wipers are a pain. Sometimes they wipe too often, sometimes take ages to wipe and so I have to manually push the column stalk to make them wipe. I also get annoyed by the lack of "rhythm" - I would rather have the option to have variable wipe, slow n fast. Much easier! I find the irregular wipe action distracting! Mebbe its just me lol

Autowipers

robert.saunders said:
C220 the auto wipers are a pain. Sometimes they wipe too often, sometimes take ages to wipe and so I have to manually push the column stalk to make them wipe.

I am not impressed of this gizmo either. They seem to have life of their own. Looks like the size of the raindrops is confusing the sensor. If the rain is light, more like fog, the wipers wipe continuously. If the rain is heavy with large drops wiping happens intermittently.

robert.saunders said:
I have to say, on my C220 the auto wipers are a pain. Sometimes they wipe too often, sometimes take ages to wipe and so I have to manually push the column stalk to make them wipe. I also get annoyed by the lack of "rhythm" - I would rather have the option to have variable wipe, slow n fast. Much easier! I find the irregular wipe action distracting! Mebbe its just me lol

At last someone who understands the problem.

You are quite correct, in my opinion this function is a complete waste of time & is more of a gimick than of any funtional use.
I spend more time switching the damn wipers on & off than it actually rains,they cant seem to detect if it is raining only very slightly or there is only dampness in the air, the auto system is bloody usless which is why I would prefer for me to decide if it is raining or not.

Gunny

Quite!

I'm due a service in 5k so will ask the dealer if it can be switched off, it is a waste of time.

I'l let you know how I get on.

This is just item #blah blah blah on the list of "can you just look at this for me?" - quite a long list as you may imagine!

Hmm - trim coming adrift; wiper problems; roll bar problems; creaks and groaning problems; folding exterior mirror problems...

All good fun

Mine have been worse than useless. Sooner or later I'm going to run up the back of someone whilst switching them on & off in moderate rain.

Actually got my car back from the garage last week after 3½ weeks of various remedial works. Gone wrong again after 4 days. One old fault one new - phone system sound failed. The car's electronics are a total liability. They keep falling over.

Have asked selling MB garage and/or MBUK to collect car and give me my money back. Solicitors @ 10 paces next week. I have owned it for 18 months / 7000 miles but was 12 months old when I bought it. Those 4 days last week / 40 miles were the only days EVER since I bought it that the car has been fault free.

The selling agent & MB never respond to my complaints. The repairing agent try to be helpful.

Smite the first person who says it was the wrong type of rain.

fuzzer said:
you can just pull the plug on the sensor ....

The black plate behind the interior rear view mirror just wiggles off and down and its the bigger of the sensors , take the plug out on that and position 1 goes back to intermittant

This is how you turn it off :D no need to get dealer involved :)

fuzzer said:
This is how you turn it off :D no need to get dealer involved :)

Well I think we have debated this one to death, I think the opinion is the auto wiping sensor is C**P.

Fuzzer, I will try the quick fix - but it wont be until the weekend, I will let you all know how I get on.

Gunny

just changed my wiper blade, and it works a lot better as a result. A friend of mine also recomended a product called rain-x (apparently stops rain forming on the windscreen)

Peter

I've used Rain-X for years, its the most fantastic stuff. Maybe not so good round town, it can smear - but on Motorways its just amazing, vision is almost as good as in the dry and you don't use wipers at all.

The perfect compliment to an E320 CDi. Mine without rain sensing option - but who needs it?

Keep the windscreen reasonably clean and do apply a sparing coat of wax or rain-X.

My car has rain sensing and I've never used any other mode. No problem.

I was very impressed with the auto wipers on my brothers old E class, worked well. I'm actually keen to do the reverse of most of you, and get mine working again! My w202 has the black plastic moulding behind the RVM, so I assume there is a sensor in there, but the first click setting only gives me intermittant, do you think my sensor has been unplugged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom