Auto sport mode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyn1978

Car
C220 coupe 2005
Had my first Merc about 6 month now. Ive a 2005 c220 coupe auto. When selecting S mode there seems to be no effect no change in revs or power when putting foot down. Any advice appreciated.

What happens if you select C mode?

The C (comfort) mode starts off in 2nd gear and shifts up at a lower RPM regardless of engine load. The S or sport sets of in 1st gear and will hold on to the gears for longer before upshifting. If yours is a diesel I doubt you will not much difference at all other than for setting off.

I’m just going off that I drive E class for work and can tell difference straight away on them. Compared to my own. Ta

There is no change in power, only change should be the gear change points. Depending on how one drives those changes can be minimal, as the autobox learns one's driving style.
Can you notice if the car pulls away in 1st or 2nd when in C mode?

Hi. S stands for standart C is comfort mode. Only difference in them is that in c mode car pulls of in 2d gear forward and 2d gear reverse.
There is no difference in power or shift points,at least thats how it is on our c220cdi 2005 reg.
I prefer driving in S simply because it feels as if transmission and engine are under a bit more load. I think that with 2.7 or 3.0/3.2 cdi it would be much better.

On my previous 2006 C180K, there was a different in shift points, with the car feeling a little too sluggish in C.

But as unimog said, you are unlikely to feel a significant difference if you drive a Diesel car. The C180K has a small petrol engine and much less torque than the Diesel engines.

And, as whitenemesis hinted, it will not be really noticable anyway unless you drive quite aggressively.

Try doing a gearbox reset (lots of info online or YouTube) and see if that helps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom