Auto stop/start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercE350

Car
E350 CDI, Sport (265), 125 edt.
Hi, this can be a bit annoying when going to reverse park or park up the car, parking up: coming to a stop, engine stops, put in to neutral engine stops, engine restarts then stops, apply parking brake remove foot from brake engine starts then stops, place in "P" park engine starts, turn off with key, on average 3 stop/starts just trying to park up.

I now try to remember to press the "eco" button off just prior to parking(when I remember)

Anyone any ideas or what do you do with auto start/stop

If you dont like it all you can do is turn the eco button off I think.
Mine doesnt work in reverse though.

Went out with my cousin last week in his new bmw with the same set up, stop and start .I was let loose with it for a few miles . What a pain .I felt as if i was not in charge of the car ,. Stop start stop start . Dont know what next will be built in to them . Next steep is to build the cars with rear facing seats, so you can see where you have come from and not where your going.

I like the stop start in my ML63 works like a dream when you need it and turns of with the press of a button.

There's a fault with your car as it shouldn't do that. As soon as you engage reverse, stop/start should disable and remain disabled until you have re-engaged Drive and driven forwards some considerable distance.

Slow down and change to R before the car fully stops. No need to turn stop/start off.

He didn't actually say it stopped when in R only when stopping, in N or in P.

Coming to a more gradual stop, by backing off the brake pedal a moment before you actually stop, should defer the point that stop-start kicks in. A deliberate stop, with pressure applied beyond the point of reaching a standstill will usually trigger stop-start sooner. This can avoid the ittitation of the engine immediately restarting.

Coming to a more gradual stop, by backing off the brake pedal a moment before you actually stop, should defer the point that stop-start kicks in. A deliberate stop, with pressure applied beyond the point of reaching a standstill will usually trigger stop-start sooner. This can avoid the ittitation of the engine immediately restarting.

^^^ This.

Also, if in traffic that's going to require a fast response (for example, pulling out onto a busy roundabout), I switch off stop/start with the ECO button, which shaves a second off the response time.

I will give this a try, parking is just so annoying on/off on/off

I have noticed with my C180 is - If I lightly put my foot on the brake to come to a stop the engine doesn't turn off I find this very convenient when in traffic. I have managed to find the right pressure to apply to the brake avoid the engine turning off.

Try applying a light pressure on the brake to stop and see what happens.

I have noticed with my C180 is - If I lightly put my foot on the brake to come to a stop the engine doesn't turn off I find this very convenient when in traffic. I have managed to find the right pressure to apply to the brake avoid the engine turning off.

Try applying a light pressure on the brake to stop and see what happens.

I've done the same.

However, there is one roundabout on my way to work where the road declines and I have to brake a bit harder to stop and sometimes I'm abruptly halted as I approach a stand still as the engine switches off.

Annoying.

JohnEBoy said:
I've done the same. However, there is one roundabouts on my way to work where the road declines and I have to brake a bit harder to stop and sometimes I'm abruptly halted as I approach a stand still as the engine switches off. Annoying.

Yes when I park up at home on my driveway which is on an incline I can't avoid the engine turning off then when I put it in park the engine starts again then I manually turn the key to turn off. Irritating.

I read somewhere that it suggested disconnecting the little battery that is in the spare wheel well. It would prevent the eco mode from activating. But apparently you would get a light come on the dash.
I don't know if this is true.

Last edited:

Heard this before and tried it with our cars (three have stop/start) but haven't managed it. Since others too here say it should work, seems I have to try it again.

Yes when I park up at home on my driveway which is on an incline I can't avoid the engine turning off then when I put it in park the engine starts again then I manually turn the key to turn off. Irritating.

I read somewhere that it suggested disconnecting the little battery that is in the spare wheel well. It would prevent the eco mode from activating. But apparently you would get a light come on the dash.
I don't know if this is true.

Lol, yeah, when I actually get to work, I park up with the foot on the brake, the engine goes off and comes back on when I put it into P and then I switch it off.

I can disable it by switching to another mode other than ECO but I just forget until it is too late.

I'm prepared to live with the gripes though because I feel that when I am not moving, I do not need to be burning petrol and polluting the environment.

Lol, yeah, when I actually get to work, I park up with the foot on the brake, the engine goes off and comes back on when I put it into P and then I switch it off.
Why not just switch it off while your foot is on the brake in Drive? The 'box selects Park automatically.

Heard this before and tried it with our cars (three have stop/start) but haven't managed it. Since others too here say it should work, seems I have to try it again.
I found this works in my ML63, gentle braking in traffic will keep running but brake harder to a standstill and it will turn off.

Why not just switch it off while your foot is on the brake in Drive? The 'box selects Park automatically.

It's when my foot is on the brake in drive that it switches off.

I would need to switch it off before it came to a standstill.

But if you don't take your foot off the brake (while the engine is stopped) and switch off the ignition then the engine doesn't restart. As soon as you open the driver's door it automatically engages Park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But if you don't take your foot off the brake (while the engine is stopped) and switch off the ignition then the engine doesn't restart. As soon as you open the driver's door it automatically engages Park.

Ah, got you.

I know it flips to P when the engine is on but I wasn't sure it did it if the engine is off.

Will try that next time! :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom