Auto Trader, ebay or Similar. Change Your Name!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I have a large fleet of vehicles.
What with one thing and another, too many at the moment and some are therefore for sale on Auto Trader and/or ebay.

Myself and young Ringway Les, are insured to drive all of them.

Les is a dab hand at selling the cars, something I have neither the time or incrimination to do.

These cars have attracted calls from people wishing to part-ex pretty much anything and also ridiculously low offers - commonplace.

When the callers enquire, Les runs through the history etc. and chats to the prospective buyer.

Yesterday morning, I received a call from our insurance broker asking about an accident involving one of the cars around 10 days ago.
They quoted the reg number and said allegedly, the car was being driven by Les.
"NO CHANCE!" Was my reply.

An hour later, a letter arrived in the post from an accident claims company.

Dear Mr Ringway

Claim Number xxxxxxx
Our insured Mr Ringway
Driver Les Rongway
Vehicle: XXXX XXX
Date of incident --/--/----

We have been instructed as claims handling agents on behalf of *** Underwriting Services.

We have received notification from the third party representatives advising that you were involved in an incident on --/--/----.
They have alleged you had an accident with an oncoming vehicle.
Details of the location are awaited.

It is noted that we do not appear to have received a report of this incident from you.

Therefore, in order for us to give further consideration to indemnity and liability, please complete the attached claim form.
Please also confirm if you are aware of any third party witnesses to the incident, or if you have Dash-Cam footage.

You are welcome to email your response to ***********@*******.co.uk
When replying, please confirm the drivers date of birth.

Alternatively, you may contact our claims notification team on ***** *** *** who will take a report of the incident over the telephone.

We look forward to hearing from you within the next 7 days.

I called Les and as expected, he said that the whole thing is untrue.

I called my broker, told them about the letter and the response from Les.
They said that this sort of thing does happen, and that they would work with my insurer to try to get the whole thing tapped on the head.
I have only just renewed the policy and my broker said that hopefully it will be put to bed before the renewal so that I don't have to pay any increased costs!

So, these scamsters don't even know WHERE the supposed incident happened, and yet the accident claims company starts the ball rolling for a fraudulent claim!
The car is absolutely unmarked and in my ownership has never been involved in any sort of incident.
Also, they have, on the letter misspelled our surname.
Alarmingly, the insurance company named in the letter from the claims company is MY insurer! They only insure on a commercial basis, so are not generally known to the public.

Also, how did they get my address to write to me? ASKMID apparently gives all this sort of information in such cases.

So, how has this happened?

Well, I follow certain car markets and have an account with BCA - nothing unusual there.
However, when I see cars advertised with reg numbers blanked out, I assume something a little dodgy, perhaps clocking or an unrecorded write-off that is to be hidden from a previous owner, or perhaps the trader doesn't want other traders to know how much, or how little, they are making on a car.

Perhaps covering the reg number is to prevent such fraudulent activity? Quite plausible now I come to think about it.

And now to the crux of this post.

With the reg number showing on an advert on Auto Trader or ebay, the fraudsters are halfway there.
When they call or email to ask about the car and you give them your name - quite easily done if replying to an email, they have ALL they need to start a claim.
Knowledge of your geographical location (easy from the advert) will make their claim more credible.

I very much wanted to call the accident claims company and stump them, but my broker has instructed me to wait to hear from my insurer by telephone before making any contact.

So, when emailing or talking on the phone to prospective purchasers, change your name.

Any advice forthcoming before, or after, I speak to my insurers would be very much appreciated.

To say I am cross, is an understatement! This IS what 600psi punches are for! :mad::mad::mad:

Wow, I hope you mange to get this stopped, even just getting a string of follow-up calls or e-mails would tick me off.

Over the past couple of years I have begun to provide wrong phone numbers old dead e-mail addresses on sites that I feel have no direct need to make contact, your post just reinforces the logic of asking why do they need my personal data? and then using a dead e-mail address etc.

Would the police be interested? Clearly this is an insurance fraud attempt.

They may use the "no one been defrauded" line and say it's an ActionFraud matter.

I've found in the past this is their line.

The sad part is, that insurers can choose to accept liability on your behalf, even if you disagree. And they might do that when the claim value is mall and it's cheaper for them to pay-out than to fight it.

A friend was involved in a small prang, the other party denied liability and his insurer ruled against him. When he disputed this, he was told that the other party provided dashcam footage proving he was to blame. He asked to see the footage, and it was... a random clip (not even car-related) downloaded from YouTube (the insurer never bothered to watch the 'dashcam' footage and accepted the other party's claim at face value). After he complained, his insurer revised the claim to 50-50, but refused to budge any further. Apparently they can decide for you how you plea....

And the fact that Ringway got the letter suggests that the above is correct - fraudsters wouldn't be wasting time on these scams if they didn't knew that they do work, in some of the cases at least. They rely on the fact that (some) insurers will find it cheaper to just pay-out a small claim than to accept their insured driver's version of events and dispute the claim.

Let's hope that Ringway's insurer isn't one of those!

Bastards, how can folks stoop so low

Do they say exactly when and where this alleged incident took place?

Surely if you can prove otherwise (location of vehicle and yourselves?) that should be able to help get this swiftly sorted out.

You would have thought with the current situation, and limited journeys taking place, this would be relatively straightforward.

In other words, if you deny it because you were not there and no incident took place, what’s their proof?

Would the police be interested? Clearly this is an insurance fraud attempt.

They may use the "no one been defrauded" line and say it's an ActionFraud matter.

I've found in the past this is their line.

The sad part is, that insurers can choose to accept liability on your behalf, even if you disagree. And they might do that when the claim value is mall and it's cheaper for them to pay-out than to fight it.

A friend was involved in a small prang, the other party denied liability and his insurer ruled against him. When he disputed this, he was told that the other party provided dashcam footage proving he was to blame. He asked to see the footage, and it was... a random clip (not even car-related) downloaded from YouTube (the insurer never bothered to watch the 'dashcam' footage and accepted the other party's claim at face value). After he complained, his insurer revised the claim to 50-50, but refused to budge any further. Apparently they can decide for you how you plea....

And the fact that Ringway got the letter suggests that the above is correct - fraudsters wouldn't be wasting time on these scams if they didn't knew that they do work, in some of the cases at least. They rely on the fact that (some) insurers will find it cheaper to just pay-out a small claim than to accept their insured driver's version of events and dispute the claim.

Let's hope that Ringway's insurer isn't one of those!

Many thanks for the replies.

This article answers a fair few of the points raised above. LINK.

Unfortunately for the lady in the article, she actually did encounter the fraudsters on the highway.
Note that the fraudsters name and address was already written out - this also happened in another case I read about.

Do they say exactly when and where this alleged incident took place?

Surely if you can prove otherwise (location of vehicle and yourselves?) that should be able to help get this swiftly sorted out.

You would have thought with the current situation, and limited journeys taking place, this would be relatively straightforward.

In other words, if you deny it because you were not there and no incident took place, what’s their proof?

Hi Will,

The letter states "Details of location are awaited" which is why I'm annoyed that the claims company (unless in on the act) even bothered to send out the letter.

I looked at my google timeline last night and it shows pretty much everything. Les will probably have his timeline also.
The problem with the timeline is that it could be argued that the phone was or was not with you, to suit the claim for or against.
I'm pretty sure if I got a grip of the fraudsters and administered as many 600psi's as I could, the timeline would go against me.

Indeed, what is their proof? They can not have any because the incident never happened.
Quite how they can send the letter without a location is beyond me. Crazy.

One scenario I played out in my mind and told my broker about, PURELY to fox and stump the whole corrupt shooting match was to say that the car has been locked away, up on the ramp of the Audi main dealer that recently serviced the car - this almost happened with another of my cars just before lockdown. I had the choice of leaving it there until reopening or collecting before 12 noon the next day.

To be able to say that the car was 12 feet off the ground on a ramp locked away in the main dealer and ask what where they were driving to have a head on incident with it would have been pure gold.
However, my broker advised against this, because if disproved, I would be guilty of trying to hide something. What a shame the car wasn't in the locked dealership, though.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Paul. I hope you can get it sorted. I can’t stand dishonest people. :(

Sorry to hear, awful thing to happen, makes me think I should star blanking my reg in posted photos ... although both the reg and the model are far from common / popular, so less attractive to fraudsters I suppose.

When I bought this car, I fitted a simple (and cheap) GPS tracker, five years on it is still working perfectly fine and costing me £30 a year.
I always thought it was a nice gadget, there for my amusement only, but it seems it might actually be invaluable in a situation like this.

Sorry to hear, awful thing to happen, makes me think I should star blanking my reg in posted photos ... although both the reg and the model are far from common / popular, so less attractive to fraudsters I suppose.

When I bought this car, I fitted a simple (and cheap) GPS tracker, five years on it is still working perfectly fine and costing me £30 a year.
I always thought it was a nice gadget, there for my amusement only, but it seems it might actually be invaluable in a situation like this.

I think the reg on its own might not be too much of a threat. Walking down the street, visiting a car park etc. shows reg numbers everywhere.

It is being able to be identified by name or other details connected to the car that opens up the chance of fraud.
Even ones email address when communicating with people can reveal ones name in the address itself, and also a signature at the foot of the email.
Even hovering over someones email icon can reveal their name.

Searching a mobile phone number on line will connect with adverts when selling anything and other activities.
So the vicar at St Johns, could quite easily be involved in an incident outside the church, giving it far more credibility than in my case after getting his reg number and mobile number from the church magazine etc.

Reactions: GLK
That letter reads like it’s from a company appointed by your Insurer, hence they have your details.

They get contacted by a Third Party and set the process off. Hopefully it’ll become clearer that your vehicle was involved.

And you can decide to take your business elsewhere!

What a bunch of [insert swear word here]

Clearly a fraudulent accident management company trying it on. I hope this gets sorted quickly for you, without any record of it remaining on your insurance (make sure of that). It would be a police matter however as said it is unlikely that it would be followed up, although in my opinion it should, at least by your insurers as they have a fraudulent claims dept. Good luck

Apparently they can decide for you how you plea....

A thing for any court or ruling body to take very seriously in these cases is the conduct of the insurance companies.

I would argue that we pay the insurer, in the event of a cliam, to protect us from financial loss.

If they settle the claim in favour of the fraudster, we (all) will incur higher premium costs so will incur financial loss because the insurer chose the cheapest option for them.

The insurer has deliberately looked after their own financial interests and in doing so, will knowingly cause me and others to suffer immediate and future financial loss because of their lazy, suits them, bean-counting selfishness.

Test case looming and I hope someone brings it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom