Auto Transmission service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AntMB

Car
Mercedes E270 Estate and VW Golf
After recently buying my S211 E270, would you recommend an oil and filter change on the transmission?

I think it's the 5 gear auto. 5G tronic? 722.6? Is that the box my car has?

Thanks.

Well if you have no service history showing it has been done,I would,it is not that expensive and gives you peace of mind.

Some research suggests that I probably don't have a transmission dipstick and I'll need to order one. It looks straight forward.

I did do one a long time ago and the way I drained it was by gently opening the sump until it was all out. I know the cleaner way is to suck it from the dipstick tube.

To do a proper ATF change you would need to drain the old fluid out, drop the sump, change the filter, clean the gunge off the inside of the sump including the magnets with a clean lint free cloth.
You should also drain the TC (if there is a drain plug on it). You should measure all you take out to know what to put in.
Then change the sump gasket, refit the sump and refill with new ATF of the correct spec from the top. You will need a dipstick to measure the level correctly.

To do the job completely you should drain/flush the ATF cooler too.

Thanks for the information so far.

How can I be absolutely sure I have the 722.6?

After recently buying my S211 E270, would you recommend an oil and filter change on the transmission?

I think it's the 5 gear auto. 5G tronic? 722.6? Is that the box my car has?

Thanks.
I would say that its the 722.6 box, but check with the VIN. There are lots of posts about changing the transmission fluid here on the forum...If you have done it before, it's not so difficult, but otherwise, you should research it thoroughly. If it goes wrong, it could be an expensive fix. To flush it out completely ( Transmission, Torque Converter and cooling radiator ) you will need about 12 ltrs of ATF to be on the safe side. ( In some older models, it is possible to drain the TC, using it's own drain plug. Newer models don't have this plug ) You will have to order a trans dipstick ( Amazon ) but make sure that you get the right one.....will not matter if it's a bit too long, but should show the correct measuring at the end. And beware of really cheap sticks,,,,check that the measuring pat is firmly fixed to the cable itself, if it comes off...you will have to remove the trans sump to retrieve it !!! . If you PM me, I will send you a step by step instructions on how to do it, I tried to post it here, but the file is too big. Another possibility is for you to search for it on YouTube.

The info is on your datacard.
If you want to see that, put your Vin# into this site.
Full 17 numbers and digits with no spaces.

Mercedes-Benz VIN Decoder

Thanks.

I used the Vin decoder, it says my box is 722640 04 534649.

So the first four numbers 7226 is 722.6?

I would say that its the 722.6 box, but check with the VIN. There are lots of posts about changing the transmission fluid here on the forum...If you have done it before, it's not so difficult, but otherwise, you should research it thoroughly. If it goes wrong, it could be an expensive fix. To flush it out completely ( Transmission, Torque Converter and cooling radiator ) you will need about 12 ltrs of ATF to be on the safe side. ( In some older models, it is possible to drain the TC, using it's own drain plug. Newer models don't have this plug ) You will have to order a trans dipstick ( Amazon ) but make sure that you get the right one.....will not matter if it's a bit too long, but should show the correct measuring at the end. And beware of really cheap sticks,,,,check that the measuring pat is firmly fixed to the cable itself, if it comes off...you will have to remove the trans sump to retrieve it !!! . If you PM me, I will send you a step by step instructions on how to do it, I tried to post it here, but the file is too big. Another possibility is for you to search for it on YouTube.

I'd be interested in that guide. I can't PM at the moment as my 'forum priviledges' don't allow me to.

Thanks.

I used the Vin decoder, it says my box is 722640 04 534649.

So the first four numbers 7226 is 722.6?

Yes...........you have a 722.6 gearbox which is all you need to know for a transmission fluid change.
If you were looking to replace like for like then you need the full number as you have posted............722.640

I ordered the Sealey dipstick at £24. A bit more than an unknown one, but then I can be sure.

Mercedes main dealer, very reasonable price on the gasket and filter, but the oil they want £96 for an 8l can.

I'll try and find the same standards approvals from Comma, which is what I've used in previous boxes.

I ordered the Sealey dipstick at £24. A bit more than an unknown one, but then I can be sure.

Mercedes main dealer, very reasonable price on the gasket and filter, but the oil they want £96 for an 8l can.

I'll try and find the same standards approvals from Comma, which is what I've used in previous boxes.

Once it meets MB spec, it will be fine...just make sure that you do a complete drain and replacement for best results. Some people just do a sump drain and refill, but that still leaves a lot of fluid in the TC and Radiator. That dipstick will be fine, don't worry if it appears to be too long...its the sump end you need to be exact about. Mine is the 1220mm, which means that about 8" is still visible when it it is fully inserted. Here is a pretty informative 722.6 ATF change. Have look and see if you have any questions. Make sure that any cloth's etc you are using to clean the pan, DO NOT CONTAIN MICROFIBRES !!!!! MB Transmissions ( and possibly others too ! ) hate them, and they cause real damage to the box.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I have attached a pic of the "Business End" of the dipstick....it shows the temperature effect on the fluid level + the actual measurement of the dipstick in inches.

Attachments

• Mercedes Dipstick showing Temperature effect on oil level.PNG
    Mercedes Dipstick showing Temperature effect on oil level.PNG
    211.7 KB · Views: 13
Personally. I used Febi Bilstein 30018 ATF, Filter and gasket. I needed 12 ltrs of fluid, total capacity is 10 ltrs, but you have to keep pumping / exchanging fluid until the new fluid is visible., hence the extra ltr's needed. Its not like changing the engine oil, where you have set Nr of Ltrs. A lot of people take the opportunity to change the pilot bushing while the sump is off, and it's a good time to do it ( if the seal goes on the bushing, fluid can travel back up the wiring harness and into the ECU.....not so good !!! ) If you have not done this before, I would strongly recommend you get it done professionally...it contains 13 (if I remember right) tiny metal connectors, which if they are damaged, might mean that the electric connector plate will need replacing too.

Thanks, I will look into that.

I went to Mercedes main dealer earlier, gasket and filter cost me £23.57 which is quite reasonable.

They said the spec is MB236.14 for the oil, which is the Atf134.

In my previous clk320 with the same Gearbox I did 3 Sump Dumps and Fills. (Each of 2.6lts - measured). On the last one I changed the Filter and Seal. (Took just under 3lts this time - measured).
This is the ATF I used: Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 Mercedes MB 236.14 Automatic Transmission Fluid 4 Litres 4L | eBay (Read the Full Description).
And this is the Filter and Seal: New VAI Automatic Gearbox Transmission Hydraulic Filter Set V30-7316 MK1 Top Ger | eBay

I'm just saying how I did it and what I used - it is in no way a recommendation.

Although I have been told that it is better to do it this way if the ATF has never been changed. So that is what I did.

Just ordered the Fuchs ATF4134 from Opie Oils. Buy two, get 5% off. And on top of that I used the 10% discount code on eBay today.

Morning all.

I'm hoping to do this today.

To check the level, must the engine be running? I'm seeing conflicting advise from a google search. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom