Auto v Manual gearbox.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Riley

Car
Merc 190E
Hi peeps,
As a fairly new Merc owner, 190E manual, (old Merc but new owner) I was wondering if there was any chance of you guys explaining the pro's and con's of having either a manual or automatic gearbox.
I ask because we have never had an auto except for 2 or 3 weeks at a time in Yank rentals and my missus is finding it a bit hard to use the maual box/clutch on this one.
I'm thinking of maybe trying to swap this manual 190E for a similar car with an auto box if there is no real downside to an auto.
Any help or advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Steve
ps, what really annoys me is that I spent ages finding a really good car and then something like this crops up and I may as well have bought an old banger for £100, Arghhhhhh!!!!!

Thanks, Shude.
I read through that thread just now and there are loads of good stuff to compare the 2 options but no mention of fuel economy differences which, as a poor relative to most of you Merc owners, is a big deal for me.
To be honest, most of the techie points raised went right over my head, possibly because I don't need to choose because of wanting to power out of a corner at top speed and brake from 120 to 30 in zero.2 flat. All I want to do is use my car to drive smoothly, quietly and effortlessly from A to B and probably never go over 3000 revs (haven't done it yet, lol)
To be honest, the question would never have entered my head if my missus was happy with the manual on this car.
Cheers,
Steve

Originally posted by Steve Riley
All I want to do is use my car to drive smoothly, quietly and effortlessly from A to B and probably never go over 3000 revs

Sounds like an auto would be perfect for you then!

Originally posted by Steve Riley
Thanks, Shude.
I read through that thread just now and there are loads of good stuff to compare the 2 options but no mention of fuel economy differences which, as a poor relative to most of you Merc owners, is a big deal for me.
To be honest, most of the techie points raised went right over my head, possibly because I don't need to choose because of wanting to power out of a corner at top speed and brake from 120 to 30 in zero.2 flat. All I want to do is use my car to drive smoothly, quietly and effortlessly from A to B and probably never go over 3000 revs (haven't done it yet, lol)
To be honest, the question would never have entered my head if my missus was happy with the manual on this car.
Cheers,
Steve

Why didn't you say!

Dude you need an auto!!

I have a manual on a 200, 1990, in my humble opinion, not that good. A pal of mine has the same car with auto box and it is much better, as previously stated the auto box is bullet proof and very smooth.

So,the next question is obvious.
Anyone want my manual for their auto? lol
Not bothered about engine size/model/age as long as the car is in similar condition.

Auto v Manual

'Used Car Buyer' magazine July (pg56) has an article on trying to sell a manual '99 T C200 Sport, 88k, met. silver ......no takers at £10,700 starting last October so the price has now dropped to £7995 with no mention of manual in ad. Calls started coming in but no ones interested when they find out its not auto. If it was a BMW 320 Sport it would have sold 6 months ago. The moral of the story is the average Merc buyer wants auto but you could pick up a manual cheap if you don't need to sell it on quickly.

PS I don,t think the foot operated parking brake helps the manuals case especially for hill starts.

'93 C220 Sport Auto

I had a hell of a time trying to find a 320d touring auto before i ended up with my c class.

Its the reverse at the BMW camp... Weirdos :p

I would never have considered an auto normally, but I wanted this car and just about everyone I spoke to said it had to be an auto and I'm so glad I did :)

Originally posted by RichardM
I would never have considered an auto normally, but I wanted this car and just about everyone I spoke to said it had to be an auto and I'm so glad I did :)

I was in the same situation. The early SLK's are auto only. I'm totally converted over to auto's now. Make's life much easier, especially in traffic :)

I wish I had tiptronic though. There are times - usually overtaking opportunities - where I find the short delay on kickdown a bit annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom