Auto-wiper and Interior Light tips!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Here are a few useful tips I learned this weekend when trying to resolve an issue with my auto-wipers on my 209 CLK following a windscreen replacement (apologies if you already knew this, I didn't)!: 

(1) 

Auto-wipers only work when the doors are closed. So if, like me, you are trying to test them with the doors open, they won't work and you will think they are broken (DOH)! You feel a bit dumb when you call Autoglass back to fix them and they simply shut the door! 

(2) 

The interior courtesy light only illuminates in low light levels. So if you are testing it in the daylight, it doesn't come on. I had never noticed this in all my many miles behind the wheel of my CLK, but following the screen replacement was convinced the interior light was broken. It wasn't at all, I just didn't realise they were light-level dependent, even though I've owned the car for years! 

(3) 

If you have your screen replaced when it is damp, a tiny amount of condensation *can* get trapped in the sensor block area and stop the wiper function working. Once the car has been driven for a bit and got warm, the moisture should evaporate away and your wipers will once again work. I had this issue the day after my screen was replaced but after I had driven the car for a few hours they started working and have worked ever since. Chap from Autoglass said this is a common issue when replacements are done in the winter / damp weather. 

Not the most interesting post, but might just help someone if they encounter any unexpected wiper / interior light issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom