Autobahn High Speed Run, Noise From Front Tyres? Help Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilT

Car
C63 AMG Saloon
I have just come back from Austria with the car which I opened the car up down the autobahn but got a strange noise which sounds like its from the front tyres (I wanted to see the top speed with the remap but the noise made me stop!
frown.gif
. The best way to describe the noise is like the tyres are rubbing on the arch but I am on stock 19"s and stock suspension!

Here is a link to the video which my friend in the car took you can hear the high pitch noise at 29 secs in

http://s.photobucket.com/user/philip...tihdv.mp4.html

Note the car only has 7000 miles on, Eurocharged map, I changed the rear tyres just for the trip to Z rated (the original rears still have 4.5mm tread) but left the fronts as they have loads of tread.

Any ideas what the noise is? surely the front tyres even though they are standard Yokos rated to 185mph I shouldn't have this noise?

You sure it's tyres? Just that it sounds more mechanical to me...

You sure it's tyres? Just that it sounds more mechanical to me...

I am not sure but it was coming from the front of the car and the best way to describe the noise was like tyres rubbing on the wheel arch. The noise only comes in at 180mph plus but surely that noise is not normal as ive seen other videos on you tube

Have you taken the wheels off and checked the tyres for marks/rubs? I suppose that an increase in downforce at high speed "could" have some effect by pushing the front down, though not enough to start rubbing...

Have you taken the wheels off and checked the tyres for marks/rubs? I suppose that an increase in downforce at high speed "could" have some effect by pushing the front down, though not enough to start rubbing...

I was going to take it over to my tyre place next week to have a look before I take it to Mercedes but thought with posting the video of the noise some people may have an idea

Supposedly the C63's go light at high speed so i assume the opposite happens and it lifts at the front.
Don't shoot the messenger just what has been posted on the forum before.:dk:

It doesn't sound like tyres to me either - have you turned the steering wheel to lock on both sides to have a look at the tyres?

Supposedly the C63's go light at high speed so i assume the opposite happens and it lifts at the front.
Don't shoot the messenger just what has been posted on the forum before.:dk:

63's go very light on the front at speed I've driven a few up to and past 200 mph and they then start to get unstable. That noise doesn't sound like tyres to me either, as I say I've driven a few at high speed and never had a noise like that. I'd get it on a dyno and see if you can replicate it and track it down.

I agree, above 175mph there is noticeable lift - I would not drive my C63 above that speed on a public road, very floaty.

S

I would imagine that if road tyres rubbed at 180mph + there would be very obvious wear marks on them and you would of seen plumes of tyre smoke in your mirrors I'm only guessing though as I drive a w124 diesel and I get a White knuckle ride at 80 + lol

Sounds quite high pitched to me. At those speeds anything small can sound quite drastic. Could be something as minor as the wiper blade arms at those wind speeds. My advise would be to take it on a rolling road and the chances are the noise wouldn't re occur.

Think ive also noticed steering wheel shake now too, The tyre rubbing noise was just the way to describe the sound you hear in the video which you can only hear this noise from the front at those speeds (think I am going to have to let merc look at it but I don't want them to drive it, Plus you cant hear the noise at them speeds but you do get steering shake at 70+)

Sounds quite high pitched to me. At those speeds anything small can sound quite drastic. Could be something as minor as the wiper blade arms at those wind speeds. My advise would be to take it on a rolling road and the chances are the noise wouldn't re occur.

My bold above.

There was a Top Gear episode when Clarkson took a Ferrari somewhere (S France?) and wipers were the cause of a squealing noise. Fitted wrongly apparently.

Maybe worth a look at? Doesn't explain the wheel wobble though...

Definitely not tyres as you would hear/feel at much lower speeds. Wiper aerodynamics sounds the more likely of culprits as per some of the above comments.
IMO something not very wind resistant at highish speeds

My car was solid and didn't make any unusual noises to a limited and indicated 162mph.

Can't access the video so can't provoke any help.

Car now booked in for August when I am off work for MB to look at. I have noticed a few things now.

- The ride in the car has become very harsh like its got not much air in the tyres and hitting the rim.
- Tyre pressure monitor has come up 4 times now which I have checked them all and they are fine!
- Wheel wobble noticeable at motorway speeds

I knew something was up since the noise in the high speed run is not there on another members car on here that has posted up a recent video at them speeds. I have told MB I don't want the car back until its fixed as there is something 100% up with it. I am starting to think its a bad wheel now.

Have you had any luck getting this sorted? I ask as I also have this problem but at around 120+ mph.

I have so far been unable to get mine fixed.

Have you had any luck getting this sorted? I ask as I also have this problem but at around 120+ mph.

I have so far been unable to get mine fixed.

Well, I think that consigns any remaining tyre theories to the dustbin :D

Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom