Autobox Please Talk To Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bakili

Car
Mercedes E320 CDI W211
Hey Guys
Bought couple weeks ago 2003 e320 cdi, love it to bits.
This my first Autobox car, always had manual box. I do kinder enjoy now driving auto. I have few questions for you guys.
1. In the morning when car cold i can feel gear changes, but when drove for few miles gears change smoothly. Is this normal?
2. When driving at normal speed (say 40 mph) i push suddenly accelerator pedal, i get little delay before car takes off like a rocket. Is this normal?
3. W (winter) mode feels more smooth gear changes than S (sport), Is this normal?
4. Gear changes happens usually under 2k rpm, but sometime can go slightly over. Is this normal?
5. Was driving today on motorway doing 50 mph, put my foot down nearly all the way to floor, RPM reached to 4k, reached to 85 mph nearly instantly

When I bought car, i got it booked for gearbox oil change straight away.

So far really do enjoy car, cant believe nearly 10 years old and looks and drives better than my previous car (3 years old vw passat)

All perfectly normal. Mercedes make some of the world's best auto boxes, and some of the worst manuals :D

The S/W switch is supposed to stand for Summer/Winter. In W it will pull away in second unless you floor it, and the changes will be smoother and occur at lower revs than in S.

In S it will pull away in first and the changes will be a little sharper and at higher revs.

The box will also 'learn' your driving style and adapt the quality and rev range of the changes to suit.

All perfectly normal. Mercedes make some of the world's best auto boxes, and some of the worst manuals :D

The S/W switch is supposed to stand for Summer/Winter. In W it will pull away in second unless you floor it, and the changes will be smoother and occur at lower revs than in S.

In S it will pull away in first and the changes will be a little sharper and at higher revs.

The box will also 'learn' your driving style and adapt the quality and rev range of the changes to suit.

Thanks
In owners manual S stands for Sport, nothing mentioned about W.
I prefer drive on W, as I get better MPG and smoother, but think its wrong drive in summer in winter mode lol.
Also in manual mentioned about D- and D+, briefly push to change down or up, cant see it changes gear when I want it.

Any other tips for driving auto box?

W is also known as C (Comfort).

It's fine to use W / C all year round if you prefer that.

I don't know in the Merc but in previous BMWs I've had, car wont always change gear if it means the next gear you've chosen is too high or too low.

Try changing it at say 3000rpm and see if it does it.

Do you just have W / S or do you have an M as well?

W is also known as C (Comfort).

It's fine to use W / C all year round if you prefer that.

I don't know in the Merc but in previous BMWs I've had, car wont always change gear if it means the next gear you've chosen is too high or too low.

Try changing it at say 3000rpm and see if it does it.

Do you just have W / S or do you have an M as well?

W and S only

S - standard.

My 722.6 box 1 gear change cold is a slight shove then by the time I have reached end of road , 1.5 m it is silky , just gb oil warming up to optimum temp that's all

Also when in W mode, reverse gear is higher too, to avoid wheelspin reversing (quite sensible since the back lift up when u drive backwards). So you kinda have two reverse gears (or ratios).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom